Making my new hammock (service at local fabric store)

So. It all started with the Clark NX-150 i've had for all of like four weeks.

The boyfriend was laughing about my new obsession and how rediculous camping in a hammock was. I convinced him to at least try it out. So he climbed in to my hammock and got all situated in the sleeping bag. He was converted and asked if I could make him a super light-weight one. Which I've did.

I made it out of some 1.1oz i go off the web, it was just a gathered end taken directly from Knotty's stickied thread above. It is super light weight and he loves it.

I had bought the clark for some bicycle tours and I wanna have something more lightweight for some hiking, so I'm gonna make one. Well I convinced dad to stop at the fabric store while we were out and about yesterday.

We go into a Hancock Fabricks and look at what hey have. There was a digital camo ripstop with a blackout side for $7.99/yd. I almost jumped on it until I did a little tug test and it felt like it had some stretch to it I may go back to get a yard just to test out the durability... They had the basic assortment of primary colours.

So we left there and headed over to the JoAnn right across the street. I walk in, it's busy and this nice older lady around 65-ish asks if she can help us find anything. (obviously two bald-headed guys, my dad wearing a camo coat, and me in jeans and a leather jacket gave us away) "Well I'm looking for some ripstop nylon."

And i've read the oher threads about people's bad experiences with dealing with people so I had come prepared for an argument LOL. While she's walking us to the spot "What're you planning on making?"
    I tell her I'm making a hammock
    "oh how fun!...." she points out the section "well lets see is this for camping or for leaving outside... If you're leaving it outside you don't want nylon you know that right?" I nod "Well how much were you looking for? I think maybe 11 feet for your length so you have enough room for the edging." I nod "Now I know A lot of hikers like the really lightweight stuff but we only carry this regular stuff here i think it's just at 2 ounces a yard."

"1.9?" I ask
    "oh yes that the weight, if you want the lightweight you'd have to go online i think! If you want to make it easy just fold in the sides and run three rows of stitching. then the ends to leave enough for your rope to go through. Tie it up on itself after bunching it like this... then trim the rope. You following sweety?" I nod smiling "then all you have to do is take the rope that goes to the tree and tie it right behind that first knot! easy peasey don't you think?"

I had to laugh "that's actually how I was planning on making it"

"ah! perfect well maybe you know more than me sweety! hollar if you need any more help" LOL

I'll be going back to hancock though because their prices for plain ripstop was $4.99

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great story. When i went to a fabric dept. in WM in my local city the folks their didn't know what Ripstop nylon was. You hit the jackpot with her.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    easy peasy. lol.

sounds like shes had a few "gear junkies" in the store.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    easy peasy. lol.

sounds like shes had a few "gear junkies" in the store.
    I asked her 'bout that actually LOL.

"oh no sweet heart, grandson's in the boyscouts! grams had to get a few new wrinkles on the brain helpin him out."

As much as I'm all about saving $$ i'll probably end up going to JoAnn's even their stuff was $2 more per yard. I'll just keep an eye out for the coupon that's been mentioned before. How often does that show up?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    coupons about every week here in Richmond.

See also http://www.joann.com/joann/home/home.jsp

right side down the page a bit.

Usually the 40-50% one item applies to cut fabric. Patronize those you give you great service, your clerk beats almost everybody
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ExPXGUY View Post
    Patronize those you give you great service, your clerk beats almost everybody
    Good service is very hard to find these days in retail, I don't care if it's hamburgers or a new car, when I find someone that has more than 1/3000th of a brain cell behind the counter at a store they become my go to person for every thing I need that they sell. I don't care much if the product is a couple bucks more than the other place, when I know that I am working with someone helpful and knowledgeable I take full advantage of them and the help they can provide. Knowing that what every they can help is better than a blank stare is worth a lot to me. I have bought a car on the spot because of service, I have bought a tents (back in the day) gps, and hundred other things on service and not thought twice about the cost, I will also get up and walk out of a restaurant if the service is bad. You get what you pay for more now than ever, and quality service from a knowledgeable person is worth paying for to me. Those kinds of people are few and far between in the service industry. She sounds like the kind of person to talk to about any number of sewing projects you may want to try. I would give her my business simply on the grounds that some day when tackling a tougher DIY project she may have the answers that makes it 1000 times easier.

My $0.02
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by ExPXGUY View Post
    coupons about every week here in Richmond.

See also http://www.joann.com/joann/home/home.jsp

right side down the page a bit.

Usually the 40-50% one item applies to cut fabric. Patronize those you give you great service, your clerk beats almost everybody
    Many thanks oh wise one.

I'll admit I'm partial to the color blue. I've seen mentioned on other sites that it is wise to avoid this color for outdoor gear due to something about attracting bugs because of the UV-reflectivity... is there merit to this? otherwise I'll just go with red.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    That lady sounds like someone who grew up behind a sewing machine, probably at her mother's side. Work her for her wisdom, but I agree... make sure you patronize the place she works. You can't afford to miss out on someone who can give you first hand knowledge.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionFyre View Post

I'll admit I'm partial to the color blue. I've seen mentioned on other sites that it is wise to avoid this color for outdoor gear due to something about attracting bugs because of the UV-reflectivity... is there merit to this? otherwise I'll just go with red.
    http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/ga...stion/id/2290/

Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts