Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BoundryWaters View Post
    There's a small group of Midwest Hangers that is planning on attending this years Lobster Hang in Maine. We would be getting into Boston airport on Thursday Sep 5 and were thinking of a slight detour through the White Mountains. I was eyeballing Lafayette Place Campground for a night, but based on the limited info that is out there it's kinda hard to see what sites might work for five guys to string up their hammocks. Any advice in regards to hanging at this particular campground or any other good spots in the area would be much appreciated. Getting more than one site to accommodate the group would't be an issue either. Thanks in advance!
    That is a state park, with 5 guys they may make you get more then one site. If you haven't made reservations yet, you most likely wont get even one spot there. I suggest 4th Iron, no care taker or many rules but its first come first served
    “There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.”
    – Sir Rannulph Fiennes

www.hikingherbivore.com

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hiking_herbivore View Post
    That is a state park, with 5 guys they may make you get more then one site. If you haven't made reservations yet, you most likely wont get even one spot there. I suggest 4th Iron, no care taker or many rules but its first come first served
    Note that 4th Iron gets shut down pretty much yearly due to bear activity so just make sure it's open. Dry River CG (state park) and Crawford Notch CG (private, nice wooded sites) are right there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Note that 4th Iron gets shut down pretty much yearly due to bear activity so just make sure it's open. Dry River CG (state park) and Crawford Notch CG (private, nice wooded sites) are right there, too.
    Almost across the street from 4th Iron is Sawyer Pond Rd. Take that to the end and then Sawyer Pond Tentsites is a 1.5 mile walk from the parking area. One shelter and 6 tent sites. I stayed there this spring and it's a beautiful area. Lot's of day hikers because of it being close to the parking area. The trail continues on to the Kanc, but I've read that that portion of the trail is unmaintained and doesn't see much use.

sawyer site.jpg

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    Almost across the street from 4th Iron is Sawyer Pond Rd. Take that to the end and then Sawyer Pond Tentsites is a 1.5 mile walk from the parking area. One shelter and 6 tent sites. I stayed there this spring and it's a beautiful area. Lot's of day hikers because of it being close to the parking area. The trail continues on to the Kanc, but I've read that that portion of the trail is unmaintained and doesn't see much use.

sawyer site.jpg
    It is maintained. There are also a number of snowmobile and XC trails back there that get a lot of use that aren't on maps, so it can get confusing. Sawyer is a VERY popular site. Don't be surprised if you see frat guys wheeling coolers back there.

Also, Tripoli Rd sites were just shut down for bears.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    It is maintained. There are also a number of snowmobile and XC trails back there that get a lot of use that aren't on maps, so it can get confusing. Sawyer is a VERY popular site. Don't be surprised if you see frat guys wheeling coolers back there.

Also, Tripoli Rd sites were just shut down for bears.
    Thanks for the heads up, I haven't been back to Sawyer Pond, but I'm planning on it. I think I had read on another board when I was checking out the area that people have taken ATV's in there a few years ago and that the Forestry Service cracked down on that. (I could also be remembering something I read about Peaked Hill Pond.)

- Clyde

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I haven't been back to Sawyer Pond, but I'm planning on it. I think I had read on another board when I was checking out the area that people have taken ATV's in there a few years ago and that the Forestry Service cracked down on that. (I could also be remembering something I read about Peaked Hill Pond.)

- Clyde
    Some geniuses hauled a wood stove back there on a snowmobile and cut a hole in the shelter roof for the stovepipe a few years back, it's since been repaired. Some other geniuses lit the shore of Little Sawyer on fire around the same time. Even on a -10 degree night in February I ended up sharing the area with 6 other people. I can't imagine what it's like in the summer or early fall.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12