JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

Warbonnet Spinn Tarp Mods

Warbonnet Spinn Tarp Mods

When the weather is rainy and cold and the wind is blowing, I like to set my tarp low for warmth and protection. My JRB tarp has a middle guyout so I can crisscross one end closed and leave the other end open a bit to enter and exit. This way I don’t have to purchase or make doors for my tarps. (I’d probably decide to leave my doors at home or forget them just when I needed them most anyway.)

I just bought a Warbonnet Big Mamajamba Spinn Tarp. It has guyouts at each corner so I added a grosgrain loop guyout to the middle of each side. This allows me to crisscross the end and holds the tarp out for more room inside when I use it in this configuration.

When I crossed the end, it still had an opening due to the cat cut of the tarp so I added velcro to be able to totally shut that end. This also allows me to hang one end of the hammock tight up against the shut end of the tarp and have more tarp protection down at the entrance where it’s open.

The middle guyout loops also allow me to angle one or both sides shut at the entrance to block wind and rain and still have an opening for entering and exiting tarp. I will probably add velcro to this end as well so I can close it up completely if I need to. Or if wind shifts on me, I can switch which side is open and which side is closed just by moving a few stakes.

The downside of this type of mod is that you don’t have as much space inside like you do when you add doors. Not a big issue for me, I’m not claustrophobic.

Nothing new here. Just showing what I’ve done in case new people have not seen posts or pictures about this type of mod.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (91.3 KB, 72 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (159.0 KB, 52 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (74.4 KB, 54 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (174.8 KB, 56 views)
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Images
    That's a nifty looking setup! Light-weight, storm-proof, cutting-edge! And....(roll the drums, please) that almost looks like a single layer Traveler with cord suspension hanging underneath. You're gonna have to put a big rock in your pack just to keep you from floating away!
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Have you used that pitch in the field yet? When the wind blows, are you bothered by the noise of the spinn fabric when pitched that way?

All of the spinn tarps I've used need to be pitched nicely taut to diminish the 'crinkly' sound in the wind.

Nice tarp, BTW!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Sweet set up HC. I am spinn tarp wanter. I just have too many other tarps to justify it and I love them too much to sell them.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    HC, nice! I'm experiencing a bit of tarp envy. Like my MC Spinn, but am lusting for a WB BMJ in spinn.
    Also, curious if closing off the ends will result in a noisy tarp. Based on WB site one reason for the silnylon doors even on the spinn tarps is tautness and I'm assuming less rattling noise from being "wrinkled" free on windy nights.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    was in a WB spinn last night on the trail....you can get the tarp proper in a very taut pitch...the doors as suppled by WB are sil and are not noisy...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Good question about noise. I haven't tested out in the field yet. I just finished the mods today, but when I got the tarp this past week I set it up and slept out in the backyard Friday night. Predictions were for rain and wind. We didn't get rain but we got the wind and I thought the tarp quite noisy in its regular pitch! I only have one place to pitch my hammock and tarp and this is right with the wind coming straight into the hammock which made me realize I need wind protection.

I knew spinn was noisier before I bought the tarp, but I sleep with ear plugs quite often because even silnylon annoys me on windy nights. I described the spinn noise to Perkolady as about 100 potato chip bags being crinkled at the same time. She says that over time the spinn will settle down and sound more like wax paper. Boy, I hope so, especially with my crisscross pitch because it's not nearly as taut as the normal setup. I will report back on the noise factor with this pitch. I'm guessing my friends will no longer want to pitch their hammocks anywhere close to me and I shall have to warn people at the hangs that light sleepers need to move on.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Speaking of the Spinn noise. ZQ is putting doors on a few. Thankfully she's decided to do that work in the day time while I'm at work. When she's up sewing after I go to bed, the "crinkling" of the Spinn is enough to keep me awake! It sounds like she's wrapping Christmas presents for me! Earplugs have their place when she's working on Spinn.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Even after a few nights of use the Spinn tarp still crinkles loudly when setting up and taking down. Once rigged it's relatively quiet. Until the rain starts. Higher pitch drumming of the rain drops is just a different sound to acclimate to. Wind induced noise has not been a issue.
    Noel V.

• + New Posts