Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Fancy Shoes,

This is all together different from just procrastination or lack of motivation. You need more than advice from peers. You need more than simple discipline. You need the help of a professional. Please see your primacy healthcare provider as soon as possible. If you lack resoucres, walk into the nearest Hospital ER and ask to see a social worker.

Good Luck
    This is the best advice on this or any thread. I can't help you. You might be able to help yourself but the cards are stacked against you. It's a lot like camping, having help just makes it better.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Shoes View Post
    Thanks for all the tips and advice.

My main problem over the years has been depression. I struggle to find the energy to do anything. Lately my back has been killing me over everything. Kind of scared to do a long 45 minute backpack to a hang. Hopefully i will be fine.

Idk thiugh, everything I want to do, just cant seem to do, I have had a wood shop for about 6 months. And not building anything because I dont think I can, and when I try I cant seem to do it.

So I really ask about how you oush yourself because right now I have to force myself. Some days I feel realy good, and can get stuff done. But for the most part nothing.

I have a entire basement full of exercise equioment that I cant even seem to use. Even though I really want to work out.

I really wish I had someone who was able to help me plan my days, help me get working out and all of that. Kind of like a drill sargent until I can get some daily discipline built up!

I have been dreading some trips because I didnt have the gear, but I think I have all the gear I need now. I would like a better tarp line though. I think what I have is junk.
    Visiting your primary care provider should be your first priority, today, now. You don't have to do this alone.

I've been in your boat before, I had (have) a lot of trouble seeing the point of anything, but that way lies madness. Fitness can be it's own anti-depressant, but it's not an instant fix. Set small goals, track progress, and watch your lifts/distance/strength/self-esteem increase while your weight decreases. It will happen (you can't beat physics), but you must commit. Your sore back could mean you have a weak core, and a weak core is indicative of a weak body. With fitness comes energy. Don't be a blob lol.

You can't spend yourself into a hobby, but you need something to do outside of work. It would be great if there was a social aspect to it as our society today has become so insular and inward focused we as humans are suffering for it. We're social creatures, but since most of our interactions are via the internet I think we really lack the benefits of socialization on our psyche. Find a local hobby, library, or church group for something you're interested in and just show up. You might be surprised at the benefits. Amature radio is still massively social, become a ham.

Achieving small goals is its own reward, there is no final boss to beat in life where nirvana is the reward. Life can be a daily battle, but it doesn't have to be. Like Admiral McRaven said, everything flows from making your bed!

You can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70
    Last edited by MuadDale; 06-25-2019 at 09:28.

Well part of why I never made it was because my back would occaisionally hurt. And I could barely walk, this week it got bad again, and my chiropractor recomended I get a MRI well I have 2 vertibre cause 3 nerves to be pinched.

This sucks. Hopefully we can fix it without surgery. I think one I stretch and become ok with walking again, I may try to see what I can do as far as backpacking.

The bad partnishow tight my lower mack muscles have been. Stretching seems to work, but ends up getting tight again. So I need to make a daily effort to get my muscles stretched so that my back can get back to proper alignment. And so I can move easier.
    youtube.com/c/FancyShoesVlogs

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Core exercises & stretches in the lying down position from the Physio, Massage, acupuncture & losing a few love handles...helped in my bad back situation.

My aging back will never be same again though, low level pain 24/7 with occasional high level spikes if I over do things.
    I had to adjust to that mentally & now manage that on a daily basis.

Keep your backpack loads light with most of the load taken by your hips if you want to return to overnight backpacking or just carry your normal pack with a hipbelt on daywalks...the passion to be outdoors has to be there though. Good luck.
    Last edited by ofuros; 07-08-2019 at 17:26.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Shoes View Post
    I really like to go. But every time I tell my self next week I am going to go, it just never happens. It has been way to long.. almost 4 years since I have gone out. I am hoping my hammock hasnt rotted away in my bag while hanging on my wall! Especially when I want to add these type of videos to my youtube channel.
    IMHO I think all you need to do is what us Alcoholics or smokers did when we quit - announce we were quitting that way all our friends and co-harts keep us honest. Just set plans, announce said plans to people who you give a crap about their opinion and then just make it out. Or conversely take the crap that gets dished out when you bail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Well my chiropractor said he hopes I can get backpacking again after a couple weeks. So I now have a goal for getting a trip planned. Hopefully I can get my back fixed without needing surgery.... we will see.
    youtube.com/c/FancyShoesVlogs

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Back pain can be annoying. Seems to comes and go for many. Mine is gone...for now.

I'm trying to push myself to get out next weekend, but hiking in 90 degrees (heat index 100+) doesn't work for me. Will I do it? I give myself 50/50 at this point.

Dirty

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

How do you guys push yourself to go hammock camping and backpacking?

I agree, it's hard to get motivated when there's heat (and bugs). I am hoping to get away for a backpacking trip early next week. I am thinking of a short hike to a lake or pond. Worse case, I retreat to the hammock to relax, read and nap while listening to the sounds of the forest. Best case, swimming, fishing and day hikes. Either way, I see it as a winning proposition.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Well part of why I never made it was because my back would occaisionally hurt
    My back hurts all the time. I tell people that if I waited until my back stopped hurting to do something, I would go to work and or go hiking/camping
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456