DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    For me it is asking someone to go with me or meet me. That makes it a comittment.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I have the opposite problem... I want to go all the time. I would be out every weekend if..

Those weekends that I can't get to the trail, I usually make camp in the back of my property and sleep out there. If I can't do that, I'll get a nap in at a minimum.

Just do it...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    UGQ top & under
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use hiking poles, they help me go.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetkayaker View Post
    For me it is asking someone to go with me or meet me. That makes it a comittment.
    That's my strategy.While some of us prefer solitude,some of us prefer company.No need to let the rain keep you down either.

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Life's too busy, hard to go do something when all I feel like doing is "NOTHING" most days after work and home chores get done.

But, in the colder months, not so much going on (family/friends/relatives/events/chores) it's much easier to pack the truck, load up the sled at trailhead and just disappear into the woods. Especially with friends, so the food, company, safety in numbers are all covered. Have had some great trips with 3 people, and others with 20+ in the deep woods getting away from the real world for 3-4 days.

I'd love to do that every month, except that's just not gonna happen with my real world family and work expectations, assumptions and reality all screaming for time on the schedule. Just not enough time. So I make the time, when season/calendar are not so cramped. Besides I really enjoy the cooler seasons for camping out, fires and less bugs are very appealing....

It is easier going with other people. Finding the right people can be more difficult. I am lucky to have a strong core group that I can "hang along" with during the year. 6 or more good trips in a year are possible. I cheat because I have a small woods attached to my home property that I can sneak out for a few hours of hammock time as needed for a quick hang / nap.

Planning a trip and then just going takes practice. Have to ignore the weather, blizzard warnings aside, and just pack for the weather and the trip. Extra food, water, clothes, gear is easy car camping. Sledding is learning not to overpack too much ( I do remember one trip... ) and take it easy because it's not a race to the finish line.

Once in the woods, I refuse to think about work or anything else except enjoying the local area, the conversations, the food and the camp chores. If only that could happen every month year round....

In the end, it's more of a PULL to go hammock camping, rather than a PUSH. It's something I have really enjoyed adding to my "GET AWAY" from stress time outs during the busy life I lead.

HYOH and Have Fun!!
    Last edited by Gregori; 06-21-2019 at 07:10.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    I'm not trying to be flippant or facetious here but I have to ask. If you have to push, or force, yourself to go out, then what is the point? Maybe you shouldn't. It's been my experience that we always make the time and effort to do those things we truly want to do.

Senior Member Squid In The Woods's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutch 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    HammockFan Anchors
    Keep it simple. Longer, complicated trips that require more planning and preparation can be discouraging. Start back slow with a day hike. Hike, eat some lunch, hang in your hammock for a mid day nap and hike out. Then do that but stay overnight one night. I love car camping but hate cleaning up and putting all my gear away.

The more you do it the easier and more effortless it becomes.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Shoes View Post
    I really like to go. But every time I tell my self next week I am going to go, it just never happens. It has been way to long.. almost 4 years since I have gone out. .
    There is a hang in lower Michigan in the middle of October, the Chili Festival hang. It's about 4 hours north of you. Any chance you can come? (A thread has not yet been started with all the details yet)
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Yup. What they said.

Point 1
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    If doing YouTube videos is your main drive I think you’re going out for the wrong reasons. If you’re also having to force yourself to go then you should probably seek another hobby. 4 years? Yea I think you’re not as into it as you think you are. Do something you’re passionate about.
    Point 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Top 10 things I do:
    1. Joined meetup camping groups near me
    2. Attended local hammock hangs (putting them on the calendar and planning around them)
    3. Hosted hammock hangs
    These two would be my feedback.

If you can get passed the first point and still want to go out, then don't just make plans to get out:
    Start a group hang;
    In my personal experience, the fun of getting the group hang planned out and the others that add to the excitement should help you in following thru to getting to the trailhead/park.
    Inform them that you plan on video for your YouTube channel. This may help in them getting excited for you as well.

Join the planning thread of a Group Hang;
    Add your name to the thread and join in the conversation and planning to that hang. You'll be surprised how it can change your priorities when you're involved in the thread.
    For HangCon in Florida, we get 40+ pages of planning and good fun in anticipation of the Group Hang.

If you get to the trailhead and decide maybe you still don't feel like it, then reassess the first point.

Set up your rig at home to make sure it's all in good shape and ready for the trail.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    2 things that I do:

- I do an AT section hike every year. This gives me some incentive to train for the trip so I'm not sucking wind constantly. I've also had very long periods of bad weather on section hikes so there is certainly a need to test out my gear in bad weather as well (and I almost always have some new piece of kit).

- I like to try and schedule a day off of work (like a Monday) and then do an out and back overnighter on Sunday/Monday or a Friday/Saturday. I make sure to tell my boss and co-workers that I plan on backpacking. This helps keep me honest since they're going to ask me how my hike was on Tuesday and I don't want to tell them that I wimped out because it looked like rain.

I'm lucky that I have a pretty good amount of vacation time though and realize that others don't have this option (but it works for me.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast