Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

How do you guys push yourself to go hammock camping and backpacking?

I really like to go. But every time I tell my self next week I am going to go, it just never happens. It has been way to long.. almost 4 years since I have gone out. I am hoping my hammock hasnt rotted away in my bag while hanging on my wall! Especially when I want to add these type of videos to my youtube channel.
    youtube.com/c/FancyShoesVlogs

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just go. Make it a priority.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You sound like a friend of mine - makes plans and hardly ever goes camping. He has a whole host of excuses, but the weather is his favorite - if the forecast says even 20% chance of rain, that's grounds for him to cancel the trip. A couple of years ago, he asked me, "How come we never go camping together anymore?" I couldn't even answer him. Maybe it's because he has too many excuses for not going? Nowadays, I don't go hiking or camping with anyone that is "iffy" - I go with folks who wouldn't back out unless there was a direct hit from a hurricane approaching.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    You can also have a few different destinations planned. That way, if the conditions don't suit in one area just go to another.

Another approach is to take on the "12 nights a year" challenge that is on another thread.

It's more like how do I not go? The 12 nights a year is one way to add structure and motivation, though so far this year I've slept outside in a hammock 26 nights. Most of those are simple overnight jaunts.

To make it easy I'd suggest making it simple. Don't try a huge hike with stunning destination views. Just find the closest patch of woods and walk a mile or two in the afternoon. Set up, eat supper, sleep, have breakfast, walk out, go home. That's my basic trip right there, the most recent one Wednesday of last week.

Elaborate plans are daunting. Make it simple.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    It's more like how do I not go? The 12 nights a year is one way to add structure and motivation, though so far this year I've slept outside in a hammock 26 nights. Most of those are simple overnight jaunts.

To make it easy I'd suggest making it simple. Don't try a huge hike with stunning destination views. Just find the closest patch of woods and walk a mile or two in the afternoon. Set up, eat supper, sleep, have breakfast, walk out, go home. That's my basic trip right there, the most recent one Wednesday of last week.

Elaborate plans are daunting. Make it simple.
    This is very similar to my approach. Do a day hike of 10-15 miles, ending up at a campsite not too far from the trail head, have a relaxing evening with a good dinner, a great night's sleep, a simple breakfast and cup of coffee and walk out the next morning. I am also always 'chomping at the bit' to get out and rarely let the weather forecast derail my plans.

As far as not being able to get out the door and actually do a trip, I have a simple theory (of course!) on that... If you are truly motivated to do something, nothing will stop you; if you are not truly motivated, any little excuse to bail out will do.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    When I don't have the time to get out on a proper trip but feel like being in the woods, I'll pack my stuff & head to a State Park for an overnighter or two. If nothing else, it's a good way to keep your skills sharp & practice your setup, meal prep & cooking, etc., so that when the time comes, you're ready. It can be good for motivation too getting you back out on the trail.

My .02...

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    I made myself a commitment to take my kids out once a month to 1) get out there and enjoy nature, 2) get the kids into nature and away from electronics, and 3) give mom a break from all of us. I try not to let weather be a huge factor. I have a few locations in Uwharrie next to creeks where the kids can play and cool off in the summer heat. But with busy schedules it isn't always easy.
    Like this weekend will just be an overnighter, go out Friday night, chill a bit Saturday morning, maybe a short hike along the trails and then head home.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good post. I asked something similar in the past, but more geared towards going solo and losing interest in doing so.

But life gets busy, things come up, and sometimes you may just not feel like going even though you know it will be fun. After a few mishaps and cancelled trips, I decided I needed to give it more effort. Promise myself to stop bailing at the drop of a hat. A trip that could have been amazing...I will never know.

Tomorrow is a good example as I plan on heading out. I typically don't camp in the heat and bugs but I'm trying to get out even more often now. I have all kinds of excuses like finishing the deck, powerwashing everything outside, clean up the basement, etc. But the weather will be nice and dry (my forcefield!), gas is relatively cheap, and I just look forward to some quiet time to hang and do nothing.

And watching a Shug video or two is always a good motivator!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    If doing YouTube videos is your main drive I think you’re going out for the wrong reasons. If you’re also having to force yourself to go then you should probably seek another hobby. 4 years? Yea I think you’re not as into it as you think you are. Do something you’re passionate about.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast