Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Saturday backyard hang

With a 2.5 month old baby, my adventures are currently relegated to the occasional hang at home. I'm trying to keep up the monthly challenge, even if only in the backyard, and the past couple months I've just barely managed to squeak in on the last Saturday of the month.

I just finished setting up my spot for the night. It's currently 83 and humid with a forecast 5am low of 69. The hammock is my Sparrow and it's set up on the Tensa4. No chance of rain and I need any breeze I can get so no tarp. UQ is my 20 Zeppelin with a lot of venting. I have a short 50 quilt on order but until then I will be making the 20 quilt work. I most likely won't need much for a topquilt, but I have a Jungle Blanket in the peak shelf of the Sparrow.

I'll be within WiFi range and will probably binge the last half of The Chef Show on Netflix. Been enjoying that so far.

Nothing too interesting, but it will be my warmest hang of the year by a long shot so it will be interesting to see how comfortable I can stay through the warm, humid night.

Last edited by cmc4free; 06-29-2019 at 20:47.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I gave up on the one night a month a couple of years ago. It's simply too hot to hang around here during late spring and summer. Waking up wet from sweat was no longer fun. I envy the guys out west where the humidity is non existent

Images
    I'll probably keep it up for now. I'm looking forward to September... perhaps not so much July and August. Maybe I'll catch a rainy summer night to keep it interesting.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Funny how kids have the ability to eat up your time. I like backyard hanging. When the tarp is up it's like your own little world.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 double layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Speaking of babies, my grandson (9 months) had his first hammock nap in the yard yesterday.

Setup is a WB Blackbird on a Dutch beetle buckle suspension. The spread between these trees is at the very limit of my reach with 15 straps.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/2QZQ mods
    Insulation
    LL/JRB down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I gave up on the one night a month a couple of years ago. It's simply too hot to hang around here during late spring and summer. Waking up wet from sweat was no longer fun. I envy the guys out west where the humidity is non existent
    Yep humidity is non existent out West. One day I may have to move there. Until then, I am with Trailslug, and only hang when the temps/humidity are comfortable.

Tarp
    Wish List 10x10
    Insulation
    air pad+1/8 foam
    83 and humid with a forecast 5am low of 69 with that underquilt? I didn't realize hanging was that cool. There are times out wantering back in the trees I wished I had a hammock though. Maybe someday I'll give it a try.

I grew up rural, on the lake and swamp close by, just dressed and doused in deet. Now spoiled by the city so much that a couple buzzing skeeters really bug me, and heaven forbid if I get an itchy bite. So like others posted here, I'm waiting for cooler MN weather and a drop in the flying insect populations.
    I need a new profile picture: I carry less, I'm older, and keep my shirt buttoned up now.

Images
    Since I never updated my own thread, I was actually pretty comfortable that night. I slept in shorts and a tank top.
    I didn't have the ends of the 20 underquilt cinched closed, and I didn't have the secondary suspension cinched quite as tight as I would in colder conditions.
    I took the synthetic Jungle Blanket out of the peak shelf around midnight or 1am and used it until morning.
    At no point did I wake up hot and sweaty. A little warm, but that happens inside, too.
    I have a temperature sensor (SensorPush on Amazon) that logs temp and humidity, but I decided not to bring it out with me that night.

Images
    CopaMundial, that kiddo looks like he approves of the Blackbird! And I am envious of your backyard.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/2QZQ mods
    Insulation
    LL/JRB down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Those pics make it seem like you had ideal weather for hanging no doubt! And it is kiddo approved. Nice green grassy weed free yard BTW. Mine has been taken over by weeds and I now have to nuke it and re seed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast