Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Wow. The Hammock Vendors are dropping like flies...

What's going on? Too many geezers in the hobby not being replaced by young folks who'd rather play with their plastic phone toys? Too many vendors to support a niche industry? How can we right the ship? I recommend vendors get out to all the music festivals and climate change rallies to get the awareness out. Otherwise, we're dead.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trecker8 View Post
    What's going on? Too many geezers in the hobby not being replaced by young folks who'd rather play with their plastic phone toys? Too many vendors to support a niche industry? How can we right the ship? I recommend vendors get out to all the music festivals and climate change rallies to get the awareness out. Otherwise, we're dead.
    Which one specifically is gone? Or are you referring to Clark hammocks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Clark and OES. But Gary at Clark wanted to retire so that's most/all of the reason. OES appeared to have ruffled some feathers towards the end. Just natural progression I guess. With a rectangle of fabric and each end tired together, it's hard to stand out. A few have, with all kinds of great products and innovations, but after awhile it's still a straight-up commodity.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    And unfortunately, the untimely passing of Marty over at Wilderness Logics led to its closure. That one was tough to swallow because Marty seemed like such a wonderful person.

Even with the few recent closures, many of the cottage vendors are running a good business and seem to be doing just fine. Shops open & shops close. That's just how business works.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Clark and OES. But Gary at Clark wanted to retire so that's most/all of the reason. OES appeared to have ruffled some feathers towards the end. Just natural progression I guess. With a rectangle of fabric and each end tired together, it's hard to stand out. A few have, with all kinds of great products and innovations, but after awhile it's still a straight-up commodity.
    OES has been effectively gone for years. He made a great product back around 07 or 08, but soon stopped responding to customers, and many of those customers had some bad experiences with orders. Finally recently he officially closed shop, should have done that years ago.

Ed Speer mysteriously up and quit a few years back, and far as I know has never been heard from since. TTTG ( Switchback) took over some of his products, but far as I can tell he is also out of business. Anyone know any dif? I think Darby(?) had some serious health issues. I have tried to contact them by phone and e-mail several times in recent years, was interested in getting another Pea Pod after regretting selling mine, and have never had a response. Recently, I see the web site is down.

But, those are the only ones I know of. How about Molly Mac Gear, are they still at it? I think my Molly Mac Pack will still be functioning when I'm gone.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    And unfortunately, the untimely passing of Marty over at Wilderness Logics led to its closure. That one was tough to swallow because Marty seemed like such a wonderful person.

Even with the few recent closures, many of the cottage vendors are running a good business and seem to be doing just fine. Shops open & shops close. That's just how business works.
    Right, I forgot- for the moment- about Marty. That was sad.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I think including a tuckers hat, 80s-frame sungalsses (with iridescent lenses) and a flannel shirt with every hammock could get the crowd back.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I think including a tuckers hat, 80s-frame sungalsses (with iridescent lenses) and a flannel shirt with every hammock could get the crowd back.
    Dude! I'll totally but a hammock from the first vendor here that does this

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I posted this in the wrong spot earlier but this is a post from 2014 that says Ed Speer went back to Geology it looks like.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ed-to-Ed-Speer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    OES- destroyed his business years ago.
    Clark & WL - seems like both were one-man shops and when the owner died or decided to retire, the business went with them.
    Bonefire - I don't think it was ever a booming business.
    Ed Speer - I've been on HF for ten years, and if BillyBob58 didn't talk about the Peapod so much, I don't think anyone would remember this vendor.
    TTTG - Never knew anybody who owned anything from him.

Seems like normal attrition to me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast