Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG and CRO
    Suspension
    Kevlar-Lapp Hitch

Trip Report: AT, Near Bland VA to Trent's Grocery (590.1-608.6)

Had a great time walking on the AT last week near Bland, VA. A friend and I met there due to proximity. I was coming from Johnson City, TN (about 2 hours) and he from Raleigh (roughly 3 hours). We met around lunchtime, staged our cars and got hiking.

This is my first backpacking trip right in the middle of the summer so trying to figure out and test what gear I had. Temps were mid 80's to lower 60's with high humidity, minimal wind and mostly clear skies. Elevation ranged from 2100 to 3100 roughly. We walked around 11 miles the first day and camped at Jenny Knob Shelter. I decided not to use my uq (I only have a 20 degree one) and slept in a 45 degree sleeping bag. It went pretty well, but I did get a little cold. For supper I had a Good to Go Chicken Gumbo with saltines, 500ml boxed red wine that I shared with my friend and Reese for desert. Quite tasty and would eat again. Next morning we broke camp around 8:30, hiked a bit over 6 miles and jumped into Kimberling Creek for a refreshing swim. After getting dried off we hopped in the car and drove 1/2 mile to Trent's Grocery and each had a burger with fries and onion rings. Trent's is a gas station/convenience store/deli that has a little bit of everything. The food and service was excellent. Several thru hikers were there as well resupplying and getting some grub. The trip was great and I look forward to getting back out on the trail soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Walking is man's best medicine." - Hippocrates

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Nice report! Trents was a lunch stop on a 20-mile day for me, ... and yes, I remember the cheeseburgers, onion rings, pizza, and cold drinks! But dang it, ... we had to walk that half-mile both ways! LOL
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts