Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Blackbird XLC and accessories - lay direction

Correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

XLC hammock body - There is a head end and a foot end, but the body is symmetrical side to side for either right or left lay direction.

XLC bugnet - Asymmetric and can be flipped over to accommodate head right / feet left lay direction.

XLC top cover - Same as described above for bugnet.

Wooki/Yeti - Asymmetric and must be ordered as a custom with additional charge for head right / feet left lay direction.

XLC Underquilt Protector - There is a head end and a foot end, but is symmetrical side to side for either lay direction.

Additional questions about the UQP: If it zips directly onto the bugnet or top cover leaving the hammock body floating inside, then how does it attach to the hammock body if using no top? Does that require the extra zipper track option? Or would it connect to the continuous loops like a 2QZQ UQP does, with a shock cord suspension similar to a non-Wooki underquilt?

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    yes, dedicated foot/head end. Net /cover flipping determines the lay direction. Wooki is $25 more for L lay. Yeti I think is the same. Thread for new UQP attachment https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...LC-sock-system
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

Images
    Thanks, I think the info in that thread made sense, even with the design being in flux toward the middle/end of the discussion.

So the UQP zips to the top cover/net regardless of lay direction and with or without the extra zipper track. The extra zipper track allows the top cover to zip to the UQP and the hammock body to zip to the UQP, thus preserving the footbox shape which is lost if the top cover and hammock aren't zipped together. And the UQP can also zip to just the hammock (topless), but only if the extra zipper track option is added to the UQP. Is that right?

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Yes. That is right. Order the UQP with or without the mod. If you already have an UQP you can send it back for the mod to be sewn on OR just by the mod zipper. Those are the 3 options.
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

Images
    I just ordered the XLC today on the 4th of July sale. I'm not entirely sure if I'll like it, so I didn't order any accessories yet. Besides, the UQP would be 10% off but there's no sale on the top cover. By ordering them together as a Chinook there's a coupon code to save $25 which doesn't apply while the UQP is on sale. Better savings to wait and use the coupon code, although it will probably be negated by paying shipping twice. Anyway, I'm going to wait and see what I think of the XLC before ordering any of the other parts to go with it.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    WookieUQ BurrowTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I just ordered the XLC today on the 4th of July sale. I'm not entirely sure if I'll like it, so I didn't order any accessories yet. Besides, the UQP would be 10% off but there's no sale on the top cover. By ordering them together as a Chinook there's a coupon code to save $25 which doesn't apply while the UQP is on sale. Better savings to wait and use the coupon code, although it will probably be negated by paying shipping twice. Anyway, I'm going to wait and see what I think of the XLC before ordering any of the other parts to go with it.

Looking forward to getting your thoughts. I picked up the Eldorado on the last sale and enjoying it. The setup is more sensitive than others, but she. Right is nice

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Did you get the modded option?

You’re right about everything you asked about. The UQP also comes with sewn on light webbing on each end by the peaks. You are supposed to tie this around something on your hammock in the event that you can’t rely on the zipper to suspend it. I cut them off on mine

I got it cuz I love the bushwack camo pattern and the zippered design seemed like it would trap heat more efficiently. And it looks really clean and cool!

It’s been a bit of a dull season for me lately when it comes to really putting gear and ideas to the test on the trail. I took it on my last few times out camping and/or backpacking, but it wasn’t really cold, wet or windy. So I’m still undecided on it’s utility for me.

I do kind of get the sense that the lay is a little less flat with it all double zipped on as opposed to without the UQP, but I don’t fully understand why yet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Did you get the modded option?

The UQP also comes with sewn on light webbing on each end by the peaks. You are supposed to tie this around something on your hammock in the event that you can’t rely on the zipper to suspend it. I cut them off on mine
    I only ordered the hammock for now. If I like the hammock and decide not to return or resell it, then I'd probably get the UQP. If it comes to that, I think I'll want to get it with the extra zipper track added. There are plenty of times when I use an UQP that I don't want any top cover, and I'm not concerned about the added weight of the extra zipper.

After posting, I watched some videos and did end up seeing that the UQP has those ribbon ties for attaching it to the hammock body (instead of the top cover) without the extra zipper mod. It looked really baggy set up like that. That's another reason I'm pretty sure I'll opt for the extra zipper if I end up keeping the hammock and decide to order the UQP.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    How can you tell which is the head and foot end of an XLC/Eldorado?

Images
    Well, I don't have one yet, but I believe the zipper pulls meet in a fixed position and that is closer to the head end than the foot end. Not sure if there's any other identifier like a logo patch. With the bugnet or top cover on, the head and foot ends would be a lot more obvious.

Also, on my Ridgerunner, the double ended stuff sack has a red drawcord at one end, which I keep on the head end of the hammock.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 07-06-2019 at 20:36.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast