Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Just ordered the superfly. I actually have 4 tarpworms. I'll have to read up on customizing the superfly, i.e, tying back the doors so they won't flap and rigging up porch mode which I'll probably be using a lot. Thanks again for your help, I think this should work out pretty well for me and definitely should be a step up from the asym tarp.

Images
    You're welcome and I hope you enjoy it. Being a very popular tarp, there are lots of videos about it, and lots of threads on the forum here that discuss different ways of rigging it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You may find you will use the doors more than you think. Even if it's not for weather, its good for privacy in public campgrounds.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    OK I at least settled on a 11' tarp. Still a lot of options to choose from though... The superfly looks interesting but I'm not sure I really need doors.

I went from a gaggle of tarps.. doors, no doors, asyms, 11's, 12's, poles, no poles... to just two (and truth is, if I wanted to carry a few extra ounces all the time, I could be down to one). Both have doors. I keep them rolled and tied back 99% of the time and don't give a second thought to them. However.. when conditions call for them I am so grateful I have them.

My humble opinion.. don't debate the doors..unless you live where the chance of foul conditions is 0%. It's just not worth NOT having them.

edit... just saw you ordered the Superfly. I had one of those too!! Great choice. Try the internal pole mod with the Superfly.. it opens it up so much!! I made the pole pockets for all of my tarps tarps.. if you want a set, let me know.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MikekiM; 07-12-2019 at 05:52.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I’ve got to again agree with the door Recommendation. Even though I like my Dutch hex tarp a lot if I want a bombproof set up I use a WB Superfly that I purchased here used. Also great option and you will be dry!

For a Weekend with forecast good weather, particularly if it’s warm, I use my hex but for poor weather or longer trips where the FC is not reliable I’ll use the superfly. Great choice on a tarp, you’ll love it.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've got a hex tarp but my HG 4-season Winter Palace is my go-to tarp. It can handle any weather.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Tarp just arrived today and I set it up in my living room (it's pouring outside now). I really like it a lot! I stuck 4 tarp worms and what I think is 1/16" shock cord Dutchware rigged up on the 4 tie outs. I'll seam seal the pull outs when the weather clears up. I also moved my stingerz and 12.5' of lash-it to the ridgeline tie outs. I have about 15' of 3/16" shock cord sitting around, should I perhaps move the tarp worms to the door tie outs and use the 3/16" for the main tie outs to the ground? I suspect this might be a better setup since I'd probably want less tension on the doors but perhaps someone here with more experience with this tarp can comment?

Since I live in the city and won't be able to really rig it up and stake it out, does this sound reasonable: use 6" of shock cord tied in a loop using a sheet bend (I think this is the lowest profile knot for tying a loop) then attach those to the 4 tie outs to the ground. Use lash-it to those for tying out to the ground (I use sticks or secure objects I find as stakes). For the doors, I'll attach 1-2' of lash-it to the tarp worms and find some kind of small hook so I can hook the doors to the other door tie-outs either width-wise or length-wise. In porch mode, I suppose I'd find 4 long enough sticks and stick them through the d-ring tie-outs then use enough lash-it to get to the ground.

Not sure how I should rig the pull-outs though. I've seen a few videos with some people just attaching a semi-taught length of shock chord between the tieouts but I'm not sure how I'd get that to stay on a stick in the ground. Will search for more videos and the threads on here for more ideas. I also welcome any suggestions!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If you're getting a hex, I think doors is the way to go, and congrats on your new Superfly! I choose between the small, lightweight SLD asym and a large Toxaway with doors added. The extra weight of the tox with doors is worth it most of the time, and I love porch mode! The minimal simplicity is worth it most of the time I take it, which is light trips when I'm reducing bulk to use a small pack. Comes down to just knowing your situation, where you're going and time of year, and living with the consequences if its not the best decision for whatever reason.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12