Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What underquilt temperature

I'm trying to figure out what temperature underquilt (and top quilt for that matter) I should get for winter. I have a Costco DIY UQ that I made for warmer weather. I cant decide if 20 degrees will be enough or if I should go ahead and get a 0 degree. Most of my winters will be in the nc mountains and possibly going up north to WV also.

I really like the JRB high Sierra snivvler and the mt Washington 4.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Nest, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I live in Georgia and do a lot of winter camping. I have a 20 degree JRB Nest with 2 oz of overstuff and a JRB 0 degree Mount Washington 4.

While I do love the MW4, it is a bit much for my climate. It is a quite lofty and takes up a lot of room in my pack.

The 20 degree Nest has taken me down to 15 degrees in total comfort.

I find the 20 degree Nest is my go to UQ in both winter and summer. In summer, I keep is loose but it is still needed even though summer lows in the Georgia mountains are only the lower-60's.

What I'm worried about is getting a 20 degree then not being able to go when the temp drops below 10 degrees. I love cold weather camping, I have just never winter camped in a hammock. My wife and I plan to do some travelling to more northern states to hike some in the winter so I want to be prepared for that. But I also dont want to buy 2 or 3 sets of quilts.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Nothing wrong with using a 0 degree when lows are only in the 30's. You won't cook yourself.
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

You could always get the 20 degree and stack it with your other quilt if expecting colder temps.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    You could always get the 20 degree and stack it with your other quilt if expecting colder temps.
    +1 on that suggestion. I've successfully used my JRB Hudson River, which at the time I got it was listed as 25-30 degrees, down to 18 by pairing it with a poncho liner. I've also used it alone down to 20-22 several times. The current Hudson River quilts are listed as a flat 20 degrees.

My current mindset says that I need to buy one product that will cover 80-90 percent of my needs and then supplement the other 10-20 percent of the time. For me that's a 20 degree quilt. Depending on your funds, your mileage may vary. If I somehow get rich, my mindset may change.

It doesn't matter that much, honestly: if you get the colder-rated quilt, you can always vent it, at the cost of slightly more weight carried when it's warm. If you get the warmer-rated quilt, you can always layer it, at theh cost of slightly more weight carried when it's cold. Either way isn't exactly the end of the world.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    My current mindset says that I need to buy one product that will cover 80-90 percent of my needs and then supplement the other 10-20 percent of the time.
    That's good advice. I never wanted to vent a warm quilt in hot weather. One way or another, that puffy down is close/hugging your body. Down has a way of catching and radiating your body heat back towards you. The last thing I want to do on a hot day/warm night is have that anywhere near me.

But after winter camping a few times, I bet most people just pop for a separate quilt to be safe.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmayojr87 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what temperature underquilt (and top quilt for that matter) I should get for winter. I have a Costco DIY UQ that I made for warmer weather. I cant decide if 20 degrees will be enough or if I should go ahead and get a 0 degree. Most of my winters will be in the nc mountains and possibly going up north to WV also.

I really like the JRB high Sierra snivvler and the mt Washington 4.

If this is for Winter Only....get the 0º and know you'll be warm.
    The High Sierra Sniveller is such a right goodie.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I was in your very same boat 2 years ago: made the Costco Gemini and was able to get to 30 comfortably with a 20 TQ. So I went ahead and got a 0° Incubator and couldn’t be happier. The Gemini and 0° fit pretty much any temperature range I’ve encountered, including one sub zero night where I stacked them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast