Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I have been told that a B complex vitamin daily is all you need to repel mosquitoes.I take one and chase it with a garlic pearl and an apple cider vinegar capsule.Mosquitoes leave me alone now.I do take the apple cider capsule twice per day and just one of the others.

Heres a link https://www.institutefornaturalheali...to-repellants/

I always use JT Eatons premixed permethrine sprayed on outer shell clothing,hat,bandanna and carry a small bottle with Repel Lemon Eucalyptus or a bottle of Naturepel with picardin just in case of emergency.I honestly have not had an insect issue since I started doing this,not saying I might not have an occasional bite but its really no longer an issue.

I quit using DEET altogether because it can RUIN your expensive gear.
    As someone who takes B complex vitamins every day for other reasons and still gets eaten alive every time I go outside, I beg to differ.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use permethrin all the time - it creates a total no-fly zone for mosquitoes. One phenomenon that has occurred here in New Jersey in the last couple of years is mosquito control companies such as Last Bite Mosquito:

https://www.lastbitemosquito.com/

All these companies use permethrin, as far as I know, and they promise mosquito control for 21 days. About 20 years ago, my daughter was having a birthday party and I sprayed the entire yard with permethrin: fences, walls, trees, bushes, and even the grass. There was not a single insect to be found in my yard. Unfortunately, my vegetable garden was in need of pollination, which didn't happen because the permethrin killed every insect. I don't use permethrin in my yard anymore, but I do spray my hiking clothing and shoes. I see the mosquitoes flying around but they don't come near me, for the most part. At dawn and dusk sometimes a particularly bold mosquito will go for exposed skin: I'll spray some DEET for just that half hour they're biting, then I'll wash it off so it doesn't damage clothing.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    I hope you diluted that stuff with water first!Can't imagine a "vinegar shot".
    There's a whole trend these days for apple cider vinegar drinks. I'm not sure when it started and I can't say I've ever tried it. I love the stuff in BBQ sauce though.

https://www.bonappetit.com/gallery/d...ars-review/amp

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    As someone who takes B complex vitamins every day for other reasons and still gets eaten alive every time I go outside, I beg to differ.
    Keep in mind that while I do take B complex daily I also take an apple cider vinegar capsule and an odorless garlic pearl with it.

All I can tell you is that before I started this regimen the mosquitoes would swarm me as soon as I got out of the hammock in the middle of the night and now they don't know I am even there.So I can't attribute the change to anything else.I read somewhere the US Army recommends apple cider vinegar before field ops for insect control.

I get my ACV from botannic choice via Amazon.ACV capsules and garlic pearls are inexpensive.So is the B complex.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I treated all my clothing and gear with Permethrin. I am heading into the Adirondack backcountry on a backpacking trip early next week. I plan on bringing other repellents and a headnet as well. I will post afterwards about how I do with the insects.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I hope you diluted that stuff with water first!Can't imagine a "vinegar shot".
    I did not...figured it wouldn't be so bad. It was!!! Out of an actual shot glass too

Meijer had "buy one get one free" of the B complex so I'm set for almost a year!

Regarding the permethrin concentrate, my new batch is in a semi-transparent quirt bottle. Looking in there after a month of being mixed, I see a bunch of white stuff floating around, looks like dissolved toilet paper. I really wonder about this stuff. I may go back to the ready mixed Sawyer even though it's a lot more expensive. But the Martin's 10% I bought on amazon for $14 last year is now $23. Still a good value though.
    Last edited by OneClick; 07-11-2019 at 07:41.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu.
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Thanks for all the info.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Permethrin concentrate

Last fall I bought the JT Eaton Saver Pak on Amazon. I have mixed it in a one gallon water bottle. I put the garment in a Home Depot pail and pour in some solution to treat it. Move and turn it around in the solution. Wring it over the pail and hang to dry. I use gloves, goggles and a mask for handling chemicals that I bought at Home Depot when doing it. It has worked great for me. I tried the section hiker plastic bag method on an identical garment and had similar results with the pail method I am using. I have found that it is important to add the solution a little at a time to avoid a lot being leftover. Whatever is left goes back in the gallon bottle. When done, I put the bottle, funnel and measuring cup I use in the pail and close the top. The gloves get stored separate from the mask and goggles.

Keep in mind that while I do take B complex daily I also take an apple cider vinegar capsule and an odorless garlic pearl with it.

All I can tell you is that before I started this regimen the mosquitoes would swarm me as soon as I got out of the hammock in the middle of the night and now they don't know I am even there.So I can't attribute the change to anything else.I read somewhere the US Army recommends apple cider vinegar before field ops for insect control.

I get my ACV from botannic choice via Amazon.ACV capsules and garlic pearls are inexpensive.So is the B complex.

Sorry, I worded that badly: I meant that just the B complex isn't adequate, you need something else as well.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I see a gallon of JT Eatons ready made permethrin on Amazon for $36.88.It's labeled for clothing if that matters to you.That's why I use it.I shake it up well and transfer it over to my favorite sprayer although it comes with a hose and sprayer,I find that one a bit cumbersome.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast