Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hammockgear vs DH raven

I'm looking to buy a new hammock and would like some input. I want to buy a GE hammock to give them another try I currently have a WBRR and have used that for a while. I used to have a WBBB xlc and always had heel pain so I traded for the ridge runner and love it. But now I want to shed a little weight from my pack and give GE another try. I have looked at all the vendors and want to know the opinions and pros/cons of these two hammocks the hammock gear zippered vs the raven.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have the Raven and it’s great, but I do prefer a full zipper on the bugnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I own the Sparrow and the Darien...not the Raven, so I can't speak to the Raven specifically. However, I love DH hammocks, and rate them very highly. They stand 100% behind their work, and have been around a long time, and offer the most custom options between the two vendors. The Raven has a fully symmetrical bug net, and is removable. One thing you may want to discuss with the Smurfs is that they are working on a Raven 2.0 or update on the Raven model, so it might be worth it to wait on this purchase decision. I don't own anything from HG so I can't speak on their products, but they seem to be nice as well, from what others have said. I know I want one of their tarps (HG) in DCF, once I feel like spending the money for that splurge.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I have (and love) my Raven. It is very comfortable for me, and the bug net design works great. I've used it in very buggy climates, and nothing has gotten inside. I also like that you can customize the width with DH.

Lastly, it's nice that you can completely remove the net on the Raven- which I know you can't do with the HG zippered hammock.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

thanks for the replies guys! I'm also wondering if the raven has a top cover? I have seen a video where it was mentioned but don't see it on the website. thanks again.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by P1Scubbs View Post
    thanks for the replies guys! I'm also wondering if the raven has a top cover? I have seen a video where it was mentioned but don't see it on the website. thanks again.
    You can get a top cover for the Raven. I have one for mine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I added a Raven in the spring and like it a lot. However, the bugnet annoys me so I just bought a Chameleon. Unsure which will be my long term choice, but both eliminated my calf ridge. I too love the Ridgerunner, but also decided to give gathered ends another shot and I am glad I did.

Big advantage to the Raven is all the customization. Downfall is the lead times.
    Last edited by durunner; 07-10-2019 at 23:03.

P1,

I have a DH Raven, in a Double layer. Top notch company with a top notch made in USA product.

I also have Hammock Gear Econ Top Quilts ( X 2 ), Underquilts ( X 2 ) and their " The Journey " Tarp. Also top notch company with top notch US made gear, with the exception of those products they disclose as being outsourced. For example for a short while last year, some of their " The Journey" tarps were made overseas and were sold at a hell of a price. HG stands behind any product they sell US made or not.

You cant go wrong with any product, from either company. They both are truly wonderful to work with.

Now back to the Raven. If I could do it over, I would not buy the top cover. I have never used it.

Lots of people say that whatever design you have for a top cover, you will run into condensation issues. After a few short years of hammock camping, I believe now, in just using the tarp correctly. I also use a 2QZQ underquilt protector, in conjunction with the tarp. Ive been down to 12 degrees in this setup. Ive also been in snow, heavy, heavy wind and long term, torrential rain. Ive never got wet or cold. Course now that Ive said that, Ive jinxed myself.

I should have used that money for the top cover, on a set of snakeskins and a gear sling. . Those two items are worth their weight in gold and together equaled the price of the top cover.

Have fun with whatever you chose.

Bob

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Revolt
    Suspension
    Spider Daisy Chain
    Images
    I got my Hammock Gear zippered bugnet last week and have only tried it out once. I don't have the DH raven but the HG one is very comfortable. the same material as the chameleon(1.6 hexon), it has two little pouches either end so you can fit the bug net in there out of the way and little things(keys, wallet, pillow) in the other one. The build quality is excellent. There are a couple of UQ tabs either side on the ends to hold your UQ in place(I tend not to use these things on any of my hammocks- but thats just me) but there are no pull outs either side to keep the bug net taut. I didnt use the bugnet the time I used it so I don't know if it needs them or not. But I notice that the ridgeline is much higher(almost my outstretched arm) than on my other hammocks so that probably does the job instead. I really like how the RL is so high and out of the way when you are sitting. No top cover though.
    To be honest having tried several hammocks from some of the main cottage businesses, I find them all to be really comfortable and a great nights sleep.
    A true optimist is someone that plants two acorns and buys a hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I also have had a Raven for the past year and a bit and love it. I was a bit concerned about the bug net design but have never had a bug get in either. What I do like about the bug net is that you can unzip it and roll it up and it kind of stores itself along the hammock ridgeline. It is totally out of the way, but still attached to the hammock. That way when the bugs come out you can simply roll it down and re-zip it. Usually during the day I'll keep it rolled up and out of the way and then right before bed I'll pull it down and zip it up.

On a side-note I had heard some folks complain about the zipper sliding off the end of the zipper runs when they get in or out of the hamock. I had Randy sew a snap on each end of the zipper runs and this seems to alleviate any possible issues of that happening.

Great company to work with and very high quality hammock in my opinion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast