Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images

Design to minimize shoulder squeeze

My current hammock (my first) is 3-yd. long. The only aspect of it that I'm less than totally happy with is the amount of shoulder squeeze. I've tried lying on a diagonal and like that even less. Just looking at the geometry it seems clear that the direct and simple way to minimize the shoulder squeeze is to get my shoulders farther away from the gathered end. (I do want to keep it direct and simple to minimize weight and to make pitching on a dark and stormy night a no-brainer.) To get my shoulders farther away from the gathered end, however, will require a longer hammock (say, 4-yd.) and lying off-center. Lying off-center will, in turn, require hanging the head-end higher than the foot end to avoid blood-rush to the head. Schematically, it would come out something like this:

Since I have zero experience with hammocks other than my current very conventional one, I'd appreciate critiques from those with more experience--just about everybody else on this extraordinarily helpful forum.
    Last edited by Graybeard; 03-15-2010 at 14:54.
    bob

Have you tried a structural ridgeline on your current setup? I have always found that gathered end hammocks without a structural ridgeline causes me to have uncomfortable shoulder squeeze. I think this is primarly related to never having the optimal tree distance and ending up with too tight of a suspension. By adding a structural ridgeline it adds more slack on the entire hammock especially the sides and I find I don't have any shoulder squeeze once I get the ridgeline length dialed in.

Depending on how tall you are a longer hammock may help as well, or even one that is wider. Your idea is interesting, it may work. I would create an interesting pocket.

DG

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    How wide is the material your hammock is made of? And what is it made of, actually?

My first hammock was 48" wide and it had a very noticeable lower level of comfort once I had my 60" hammock to compare it to.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    nice drawings.

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Damngoat;
    I hadn't tried a structural ridgeline until I got your post. Now I have and you're right, it definitely reduces the squeeze. I have never liked the idea of a structural ridgeline because it interferes with lounging sideways. If further trying in a variety of conditions proves equally promising I'll have to figure out a simple and quick disconnect of the ridgeline for lounging. Another factor affecting squeeze may well be stretch in the nylon. Assuming that the material stretches more right under the occupant than it does on the sides, the less stretched portions may be primarily responsible for the squeeze. If that's the case, polyester instead of nylon may further reduce the problem.
    If your comment about "an interesting pocket" refers to the space above the head as shown in my drawing, that space hadn't escaped my notice either. I've been thinking about some kind of lightweight partition to provide space for clothing removed for sleeping. But if other tweaks solve the squeeze problem, I'll stick with 3 yds. and that space will disappear. 4 yds of hammock for a guy that has to stand on tiptoes to reach 6 ft seems a bit extravagant.
    A wider hammock is out of the question. I've been thinking of shaving it down to 48" to save weight and bulk. I'm also working on reducing complexity and excess material elsewhere in the whole setup. I'll post my final setup once I get everything worked out.
    bob

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Damngoat;
    I hadn't tried a structural ridgeline until I got your post. Now I have and you're right, it definitely reduces the squeeze. I have never liked the idea of a structural ridgeline because it interferes with lounging sideways. If further trying in a variety of conditions proves equally promising I'll have to figure out a simple and quick disconnect of the ridgeline for lounging. Another factor affecting squeeze may well be stretch in the nylon. Assuming that the material stretches more right under the occupant than it does on the sides, the less stretched portions may be primarily responsible for the squeeze. If that's the case, polyester instead of nylon may further reduce the problem.
    If your comment about "an interesting pocket" refers to the space above the head as shown in my drawing, that space hadn't escaped my notice either. I've been thinking about some kind of lightweight partition to provide space for clothing removed for sleeping. But if other tweaks solve the squeeze problem, I'll stick with 3 yds. and that space will disappear. 4 yds of hammock for a guy that has to stand on tiptoes to reach 6 ft seems a bit extravagant.
    A wider hammock is out of the question. I've been thinking of shaving it down to 48" to save weight and bulk. I'm also working on reducing complexity and excess material elsewhere in the whole setup. I'll post my final setup once I get everything worked out.

Graybeard, I agree the structural ridgeline can be really annoying for lounging. I have seen a few people make them detachable with the use of caribeaner or one of those locking ovals from home depot. It definitely doesn't sound like your hammock needs to be longer or wider. Looking forward to seeing your final setup.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You actually want the foot-end of your hammock a few inches above the head end. Otherwise, your waistline (CG) will be at the low-point of the hammock...

Yes, my first unplanned hang was this way.. fought gravity all night long because I wasn't smart enough to give up and re-tie the darn thing!

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Greybeard, Have you pulled the sides a bit (whipping) like the typical speer design? I found that pulled sides plus a stretchy material cause my shoulders discomfort.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    yeah he shoulder squeeze could be cause by how your hammock is whipped? which method did you use?

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    I'm also interested in minimising hammock fabric and (like others) I've found that small adjustments effect the comfort significantly (more than I might guess).

I suggest experimenting with different gathering techniques, sag, and body placement.

So far, I prefer a W fold gather with the top edges and middle (top) fold pulled out slightly (which produces a flatter suspension) and the bottom folds progressively folded inward, in half, into the middle fold. Naturally, it makes testing easier to use a knot that is easily untied. I use a symmetrical Albright with a loop but I think a double sheet bend works well enough.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast