Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x10
    Insulation
    NeoAirXtherm+Down
    Suspension
    None: grounded
    The method posted by Jeff-oh, the Tac Blades video, is very straightforward - something I can understand. Splices and a single, overhand knot. Should be very strong because (it looks like) the part that would pull through wraps around the "button" and actually will pull tighter - that would be the first noose under the overhand knot.

I get the impression with Dyneema the only way for securing it with 80% or greater of the breaking strength is using splices, soft shackles, and UCR's or Whoopie Slings. Otherwise we can expect as low as 20% for a common slippery hitch. Are my expectations more-or-less correct? I love the weight and compactness of this line which is why I'm trying to get the most out of it.
    Sioux Hustler Trail 2020, Angleworm Trail, 2021, PowWow Trail clearing 2021, and any weekend overnight I can get.

Images
    Yes but it will often be way over 20%, that's worst case with poor knots. Turns out Tac Blades and I are about on the same track with these as far as the knot portion goes which is pretty cool IMO. I haven't had a hang with that style yet but I have used them in conjunction with some straps and other rope a couple times when loading stuff in the truck bed and they never look like failure is near but always still come untied with a little effort when it's time for the dog bone to be used again.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Diamond knot might not be able to “invert” or come loose and untie when under heavy load,
    IF IF IF
    Immediately before tie diamond knot, make a locked brummell, then tie that diamond knot. With a change—on last pass through middle of diamond knot one rope can take a slightly different path though middle of knot and then still emerge in same place as other rope—effectively straddling another strand somewhere in middle.

Then when both ropes emerge do another locked brummell before burying loose ends into loop. And buried deep-all way to meet at other end of loop.
    Phantom guess 4823
    Phantom fail 5145

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Diamond knot might not be able to “invert” or come loose and untie when under heavy load,
    IF IF IF
    Immediately before tie diamond knot, make a locked brummell, then tie that diamond knot. With a change—on last pass through middle of diamond knot one rope can take a slightly different path though middle of knot and then still emerge in same place as other rope—effectively straddling another strand somewhere in middle.

Then when both ropes emerge do another locked brummell before burying loose ends into loop. And buried deep-all way to meet at other end of loop.
    Phantom guess 4823
    Phantom fail 5145

Brilliant!!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Black Bird XLC, Chameleon, Draumr
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts/Pads
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I made some soft shackles today and used this video for the know portion.
    https://youtu.be/ot-BWKHYL3Q

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Brilliant!!
    I am looking at diamond knot. Probably no need to change path of one rope as it makes its last pass. Looks like there is already a straddling effect.
    Locked brummell
    Diamond knot
    Locked brummell
    Bury splices into continuous loop

Will need to tighten diamond knot in direction of first locked brummell by pulling on it with a larkshead?
    Hoping to get both locked brummells very close to diamond knot.

I’ve never had a regular diamond knot invert or fail
    After reading about diamond knots inverting, I tried to make failure of diamond knot much less likely.
    I guess the fails were done by hooking continuous loop to a machine and incrementally increasing force until knot inverted or rope broke

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123