Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH 4 Season Explorer XL

Anyone has experience with Lawson Blue Ridge Hammock?

So after my first outing with my new hammock tent, and seeing how much I raved a out it, my brother is now looking at purchasing his own hammock for camping as well. He doesn't want to spend a fortune, and likes the idea of a hammock with a spreader bar, similar to the WB ridgerunner. He found a Lawson Blue Ridge Hammock for a good price, and asked me what I thought about it. Having zero experience with this style of hammock, I thought it would be best to ask the experts of this forum.

https://www.amazon.com/Lawson-Hammoc...ck+tent&sr=8-5

Here's the link he sent me. Any input you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Really, really tippy, and that's just my primary complaint. It's a hammock from a decade ago. I've tried them and they're not for me.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-14-2019 at 20:41.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chefko View Post
    So after my first outing with my new hammock tent, and seeing how much I raved a out it, my brother is now looking at purchasing his own hammock for camping as well. He doesn't want to spend a fortune, and likes the idea of a hammock with a spreader bar, similar to the WB ridgerunner. He found a Lawson Blue Ridge Hammock for a good price, and asked me what I thought about it. Having zero experience with this style of hammock, I thought it would be best to ask the experts of this forum.

https://www.amazon.com/Lawson-Hammoc...ck+tent&sr=8-5

Here's the link he sent me. Any input you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry mate link is busted - doesn't go to a valid page

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Sorry mate link is busted - doesn't go to a valid page.
    Link is valid for me. Using Google Chrome on a PC.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Link is valid for me. Using Google Chrome on a PC.
    Must be Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Was my first hammock over 20 years ago.
    Had spreader bars but it is not a bridge hammock or a gathered end hammock.
    Mine was over 5 lbs.
    Still, it gets you off the ground.
    https://www.lawsonhammock.com

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH 4 Season Explorer XL
    Thanks for the input. I think he has decided that the Lawson would not be the right fit for him, but still isn't ready to pull the trigger yet (I think if the turnaround time for the WBRR wasn't at a month right now he would go with that), but he is certainly leaning towards getting a hammock. I'll be making a tensahedron stand for my HH in the next couple days and will have him try mine out in the backyard so he at least has a baseline to compare. I recommend to him that he researches a bit more before committing, but I'm sure after sleeping in the HH he will realize how much more comfortable any hammock would be compared to sleeping in a tent.. or even a bed for that matter. I'll update this post once he has the opportunity to sleep in the HH, and believe we'll have another convert from grounder to hanger in the very near future.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    if there are any group hangs in your area, get him there and let him try out different setups. that's always a good way to convert a ground dweller.

Charlotte

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    JRB has bridge hammocks in stock right now. I have never tried theirs, though. The BMBH has a different lay than the Ridgerunner. Another bridge option would be the Eureka Chysalis. I have one, but haven't used it much because mine doesn't have proper bug protection, and no second layer to keep the pad in place. I would not get the Camper Sleeve, but rather the Tropical Bug Sleeve and a tarp from one of our vendors.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    JRB has bridge hammocks in stock right now. I have never tried theirs, though. The BMBH has a different lay than the Ridgerunner. Another bridge option would be the Eureka Chysalis. I have one, but haven't used it much because mine doesn't have proper bug protection, and no second layer to keep the pad in place. I would not get the Camper Sleeve, but rather the Tropical Bug Sleeve and a tarp from one of our vendors.
    Though I have happily used both and been very comfy in both, The BMBH does indeed have quite a different lay than the WBRR. In fact, there were at least 2 different BMBHs, and one( The original "UL") was not quite as different from the WBRR as the original BMBH was.

But, the JRB James River is far more similar to the WBRR than the BMBH is. Not identical by any means, there are pros and cons, but certainly more similar than different. It would be really hard for me to pick one over the other, but I do really like the knee room during fetal position in the James River. And it seems to require a bit less distance between the trees as well. But, again, over all and all things considered, for me they are very close, each with pros and cons vs the other.

But, I get the feeling the Chefko's bro is not up for an expensive hammock as he is trying to figure out this hammock game. I'm not aware of any inexpensive AND highly rated bridge hammocks, but there are a ton of inexpensive gathered ends to choose from, while he figures out if he really likes this game.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-15-2019 at 19:28.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast