Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless Wide
    Tarp
    Dutch Rectangular
    Suspension
    UCR & Marlin Spike

New hanger looking for next hammock

Hello everyone! Brand new hanger here. My family and I enjoy tent camping and ended up with a $100 REI gift card. Not knowing what to use it for, my wife suggested a hammock. After perusing the REI site, We ended up with a Kammock Roo Single, Roo Double and 2 sets of Python straps (obviously didn't get all that for the $100). Since purchasing those, I have started doing a lot more research into hammocks. Analysis Paralysis!! Anyway, we just got back from a weekend camping trip and really using the hammocks for any amount of time. We loved them! My son spent every free moment in the Single and my wife and I took turns in the Double.

Now, I want to add a 3rd hammock and have read about the cottage vendors. This hammock will be mine. I am 6' and 290lbs. I have been looking at the Dutch 11' Netless Wide. I am worried about the weight rating. It is only available (from what I can find) up to the Hexon 1.6/1.7, which is rated up to 350lbs, which may be totally fine, but I like the peace of mind having something rated well beyond what I need. The Roos are rated for 500lbs for instance, part of the reason we went with them. Is the 11' Netless available in the Hexon 2.4 or am I really overthinking this? There is also the option of going with a double layered hammock, but then that more than doubles the price. And is the weight rating the total of the 2 layers?

Then there is the question of the ridgeline. I have never used one, but am intrigued by them. I plan on getting my Dutch with one as I am also thinking of getting the bottom entry bugnet. I enjoyed the hammock so much I want to try and sleep in it, though I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP, so that introduces other issues.

Man that was long. Long story short, is the Hexon 1.7 plenty for a 6' 290lb guy. For now I will just get it with the continuous loops (probably upgrade to the 1/8 Amsteel), carabiners and Spider Webbing Daisy chain to keep the setup simple and the same across all 3 hammocks. Sorry for all the questions! Excited to be joining the wonderful world of hanging!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    The vendors can tell you about weight limits and what doubling the fabric will do...

I wanted to comment about using a CPAP while in the hammock -- there are several threads where various strategies are discussed. If you do a search for those threads you can get a lot of ideas.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you treat your gear with care this hammock should work but your weight will be pushing many of the cottage vendors offerings. I would recommend a double layer. I also personally wouldn't purchase a netless hammock. Integrated nets are a must have in my opinion as there's nothing more miserable than a comfortable hang ruined by biting bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    If you treat your gear with care this hammock should work but your weight will be pushing many of the cottage vendors offerings. I would recommend a double layer. I also personally wouldn't purchase a netless hammock. Integrated nets are a must have in my opinion as there's nothing more miserable than a comfortable hang ruined by biting bugs.
    That's what fronkey-style nets are for. All the same benefits, but I can leave it at home when I don't need it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Welcome to the forums Haze
    Many great vendors here, including Dutch and others. But when it comes to heavier weights, perhaps take a look at Cedar Ridge Outdoors and give them a call:
    https://www.cedarridgegear.com/
    Great peeps, and I think they do a lot with heavier weights.

Also, I think Jacks R Better works with bigger sizes too. https://www.jacksrbetter.com/
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless Wide
    Tarp
    Dutch Rectangular
    Suspension
    UCR & Marlin Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    The vendors can tell you about weight limits and what doubling the fabric will do...

I wanted to comment about using a CPAP while in the hammock -- there are several threads where various strategies are discussed. If you do a search for those threads you can get a lot of ideas.
    Yep, my next step is searching CPAP hammock camping!

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I was afraid of that...So much for a $30 hammock! haha

Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    That's what fronkey-style nets are for. All the same benefits, but I can leave it at home when I don't need it.
    My thoughts exactly.

So now that I'm gonna need a double layer hammock, that gets me closer to the Chameleon territory, which I would just do the Hexon 2.4. Then I could do the bugnet that way, but have to deal with zippers when not using the bugnet...

2 layer (1.6/1.6) netless - $116.50 (not including Knotty mods), then $57.50 for Fronkey bugnet = 174
    Hexon 2.4 Chameleon with bugnet - $168

Then need 'biners and spider chain straps. Could just get bugnets later, but its summer and would be a good idea to have them now. Hmmm....

Also, what would be a good starter tarp, other than just the cheapo blue/grey tarps. Would prefer to get a good silpoly/silnylon from the beginning.

Thanks for the help and insight everyone!

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless Wide
    Tarp
    Dutch Rectangular
    Suspension
    UCR & Marlin Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    Welcome to the forums Haze
    Many great vendors here, including Dutch and others. But when it comes to heavier weights, perhaps take a look at Cedar Ridge Outdoors and give them a call:
    https://www.cedarridgegear.com/
    Great peeps, and I think they do a lot with heavier weights.

Also, I think Jacks R Better works with bigger sizes too. https://www.jacksrbetter.com/
    Thanks! I will check them out. Hadn't heard of either of those.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/2QZQ mods
    Insulation
    LL/JRB down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Check out dream hammock as well..the 1.7 MTN XL fabric is rated to 350 lb in a single layer, is very comfortable, and is what I use for my DH Darien. The hammock weighs in at <20 oz. and supports me well at 282 lbs. Mine is 11' long and 63" wide. I also use a DH gear sling to hold my cpap machine, which I also highly recommend.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless Wide
    Tarp
    Dutch Rectangular
    Suspension
    UCR &amp; Marlin Spike
    Okay, first off, thank you everyone for your input! After emailing Dutchware, they have assured me that the Hexon 1.7 will be plenty. Think I'm going to try out a Marlin Spike Hitch and Whoopie Slings (not really any more expensive than Spider Chain/'biners). With that said, here is my planned order, let me know what you think:

Wide Netless Hexon 1.7 - Hexon W 1.7 - Moroccan Blue - 110" Fixed Ridgeline (11ft Hammock)
    (2) 1/8 Amsteel Continuous Loop - Orange
    3000 Pound Webbing Straps 12'
    Titanium Toggles (pair)
    (2) Amsteel Whoopie Slings - 1/8 Gray

Don't know that I can find a better setup for the $79.50 this comes out to. Will add a fronkey style bugnet a little later.
    Last edited by HazeRVA; 07-17-2019 at 15:27.

Hammock
    Black Bird XLC, Chameleon, Draumr
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sings
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeRVA View Post
    Hello everyone! Brand new hanger here. My family and I enjoy tent camping and ended up with a $100 REI gift card. Not knowing what to use it for, my wife suggested a hammock. After perusing the REI site, We ended up with a Kammock Roo Single, Roo Double and 2 sets of Python straps (obviously didn't get all that for the $100). Since purchasing those, I have started doing a lot more research into hammocks. Analysis Paralysis!! Anyway, we just got back from a weekend camping trip and really using the hammocks for any amount of time. We loved them! My son spent every free moment in the Single and my wife and I took turns in the Double.

Now, I want to add a 3rd hammock and have read about the cottage vendors. This hammock will be mine. I am 6' and 290lbs. I have been looking at the Dutch 11' Netless Wide. I am worried about the weight rating. It is only available (from what I can find) up to the Hexon 1.6/1.7, which is rated up to 350lbs, which may be totally fine, but I like the peace of mind having something rated well beyond what I need. The Roos are rated for 500lbs for instance, part of the reason we went with them. Is the 11' Netless available in the Hexon 2.4 or am I really overthinking this? There is also the option of going with a double layered hammock, but then that more than doubles the price. And is the weight rating the total of the 2 layers?

Then there is the question of the ridgeline. I have never used one, but am intrigued by them. I plan on getting my Dutch with one as I am also thinking of getting the bottom entry bugnet. I enjoyed the hammock so much I want to try and sleep in it, though I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP, so that introduces other issues.

Man that was long. Long story short, is the Hexon 1.7 plenty for a 6' 290lb guy. For now I will just get it with the continuous loops (probably upgrade to the 1/8 Amsteel), carabiners and Spider Webbing Daisy chain to keep the setup simple and the same across all 3 hammocks. Sorry for all the questions! Excited to be joining the wonderful world of hanging!
    Warbonnet Outdoors offers a heavy weight version for his hammocks. I bought the heavy weight blackbird xlc in a double layer for my first vendor hammock. It's rated at 400lbs and was the cheapest option at the time. I'm not anywhere near 400 lbs but it made me feel comfortable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast