DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm also 5'9" and my first custom hammock was (and still is my most often used hammock) a DH Darien 10-footer (1.7 Robic) with Smurf-recommended width of 64", and I find it supremely comfortable, somewhat more so than most 11-footers I have tried. Love it so much I got another made with 1.2 Robic. I have noticed less (practically zero!) tendency for calf ridge with the Dariens compared to most 11-footers (all 58" width... maybe wider would be better) that I've slept in.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

This is a fascinating thread. Glad you brought it up. As yet another 5' 9" guy I'm wondering how I'd like a ten-foot hammock. My go-to gathered end is 11 foot, standard width in 1.6 Argon. I made one 10 footer but used a cheap polyester fabric and didn't really like the lack of stretch, so never pursued it further. Based on some of the comments and your original post here, I think a cheaper solution might be to just buy some fabric, both wide and standard versions, and make a couple to compare. Thanks for all the info.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Haven't had the need or desire to go back to 10'. I had a HH Asym and a two WB BB's all in 10' and remember struggling with calf ridge in all of them.

I am considering making another 1.6 Hyper D in 10.5' only because I look down at all that unused real estate past my feet and question whether I really need all of that. I won't know until I try. For now, I am going to stay with 11's since I experience zero calf ridge, have no problem with how high the SRL is (in fact I prefer not getting clothes lines by the lower hanging RL), or finding trees to accommodate the length. What I may do is shorten my 11' Monolite hammock by half a foot just as an experiment.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'm also 5'9" and my first custom hammock was (and still is my most often used hammock) a DH Darien 10-footer (1.7 Robic) with Smurf-recommended width of 64", and I find it supremely comfortable, somewhat more so than most 11-footers I have tried. Love it so much I got another made with 1.2 Robic. I have noticed less (practically zero!) tendency for calf ridge with the Dariens compared to most 11-footers (all 58" width... maybe wider would be better) that I've slept in.
    I'm thinking that the lack of calf-ridge may be due more to the asym cut than to the 11' length. Also, the relative stretchiness of the fabric may be a mitigating factor. Comparing apples to apples, all of my hammocks are sym, and 3 of those are Dutchware Netless 11 footers. In my case, anyway, the extra foot did nothing for the calf ridge issue.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Haven't had the need or desire to go back to 10'. I had a HH Asym and a two WB BB's all in 10' and remember struggling with calf ridge in all of them.

I am considering making another 1.6 Hyper D in 10.5' only because I look down at all that unused real estate past my feet and question whether I really need all of that. I won't know until I try. For now, I am going to stay with 11's since I experience zero calf ridge, have no problem with how high the SRL is (in fact I prefer not getting clothes lines by the lower hanging RL), or finding trees to accommodate the length. What I may do is shorten my 11' Monolite hammock by half a foot just as an experiment.
    If you do go ahead with either experiment, let us know what you find. I'm going to be re-trying a few of my 10 footers and will do the same. Sometimes, you remember things being better than they were.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    If you do go ahead with either experiment, let us know what you find. I'm going to be re-trying a few of my 10 footers and will do the same. Sometimes, you remember things being better than they were.
    What I'm guessing Mike is going to try, and you could do the same, would be just whipping 1 foot off one end of the 11' hammock and adding a continuous loop behind the whipping. Or if you want to keep it symmetrical, do this at each end, whipping off 6 inches. I'm not sure if one approach would be any different than the other.

You'd also have to either shorten the structural ridgeline (wraps around carabiner?), make a new one, or use an adjustable.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I'm thinking that the lack of calf-ridge may be due more to the asym cut than to the 11' length. Also, the relative stretchiness of the fabric may be a mitigating factor. Comparing apples to apples, all of my hammocks are sym, and 3 of those are Dutchware Netless 11 footers. In my case, anyway, the extra foot did nothing for the calf ridge issue.
    A Darien is a rectangular cut hammock, only the net is Asym...
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    What I'm guessing Mike is going to try, and you could do the same, would be just whipping 1 foot off one end of the 11' hammock and adding a continuous loop behind the whipping. Or if you want to keep it symmetrical, do this at each end, whipping off 6 inches. I'm not sure if one approach would be any different than the other.

You'd also have to either shorten the structural ridgeline (wraps around carabiner?), make a new one, or use an adjustable.
    You know, that's a great idea! Don't know why I didn't think of it. Well, I guess I do know, but I don't like to admit to it. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    A Darien is a rectangular cut hammock, only the net is Asym...
    Just going by the Dream comparison page, which reports the Darien lay as "Asym". The page also says that the Darien bug net is integrated, so I guess non-removable, and, if so, then, if the net is asym, wouldn't that mean that the hammock is asym, as well? Otherwise seems a strange combo.

Images
    Just going by the Dream comparison page, which reports the Darien lay as "Asym". The page also says that the Darien bug net is integrated, so I guess non-removable, and, if so, then, if the net is asym, wouldn't that mean that the hammock is asym, as well? Otherwise seems a strange combo.
    You've got it right. The hammock itself is a symmetrical, rectangular piece of fabric, but because the asym bug net is not removable and only has a zipper on one side, it makes the package as a whole asym with a dedicated lay direction.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast