DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I am just going to whip the foot end of the Monolite one foot shorter and wrap the SRL around a biner for as many wraps as is needed to get to the right length. If it's a win, it would then be a ten minute project to cut the foot end channel off and re-hem it.

In my case, it has to be all at the foot end as the head end has half zippers to accommodate the removable Half Wit bug net.

I have enough 1.6 Hyper D to make two hammocks... so maybe I'll go 10.5' on one and see how it goes.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I am just going to whip the foot end of the Monolite one foot shorter and wrap the SRL around a biner for as many wraps as is needed to get to the right length. If it's a win, it would then be a ten minute project to cut the foot end channel off and re-hem it.

In my case, it has to be all at the foot end as the head end has half zippers to accommodate the removable Half Wit bug net.

I have enough 1.6 Hyper D to make two hammocks... so maybe I'll go 10.5' on one and see how it goes.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you find.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Make sure to center yourself in the hammock. Get your footend higher (6 t0 12 inches) so you slide into the sweet spot. Sound like you are too far down toward foot end.
    Okay, I got out the Dutch Netless standard width (58"), slung it up with the foot a bit higher, and tried it out. I found out that the main problem was the Knotty Mod on the side where my feet were. I loosened it all the way, and I think that solved the problem. My feet no longer cared where the edge of the hammock was.

Thanks for the suggestion re foot end higher.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I've always been a fan of 10'6" and didn't realize it was an 'odd size' until I started looking around more.
    9'4" or 9'6" is what I build my UL models and 10'6" for more casual stuff. I think with the wide fabrics you have more room to play with the length a little as well (within limits) and as others mentioned that little bit of extra wiggle room on the RL size means you can squeeze it under a 9' tarp or have some wiggle room under a 10' tarp.

With the 11' you're forced into a 10' tarp for the most part... plus a little room on each end.

Having started with hammocks from an UL point of view I've always been interested in keeping the 'package' down to 10' and under so that probably informed my choices more than any serious comfort difference.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    Actually, there is a really good - actually incredible - value on Amazon. I have one, but, for summer use, I prefer the lighter, less bulky hex. It isn't a radical hex and has cat cuts on the side. Was a great deal on Amazon a couple of years back, but it is no longer available. Fortunately, I bought two while I had the chance.

Here's the 12x10 rectangular tarp that I was speaking about. I have an earlier one. At my suggestion, they added additional tie-outs but still appear to have missed the mark. Should have had 5, or even 4, per side, instead of 3. At a current price of $25.99, it is still a great deal. The one you link to is a bit small but has more tie-outs.

Thanks for the suggestions!

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Armour-H.../dp/B07C3PWWX7
    I'm new to hammock camping and that's the tarp I picked up. Other then wishing it had a few extra tie-outs, I'm happy with it and I can't complain as I feel it's a good value for the money. My hammock is a cheap 11'er from Amazon (~$13) I'm loving it and I sleep really well in it. It's probably too big as I can lay fully cross-wise in it and there's a lot of extra fabric on both sides. The disadvantages that I am seeing, compared to my buddy's ENO that I borrowed last year is that I cannot see out the sides very easily, and there is a lot of stretch with the fabric. So I have to hang the straps a little high, but after the hammock sags, I'm at a good height. I am using a ridgeline with about the 83% length.

- Clyde

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345