Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    You could also just run a separate, non-load-bearing ridgeline that's easier to reach.
    Interesting suggestion. Wouldn't be tight, though.

Tarps with doors, even tiny ones, fix this issue nicely: an 11' minifly will keep you absolutely fine in an 11' hammock, with any amount of sag.
    I can see how that would be true, and it's a good suggestion. Problem is, we're now looking at, say, $120+ rather than < $50.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Make sure to center yourself in the hammock. Get your footend higher (6 t0 12 inches) so you slide into the sweet spot. Sound like you are too far down toward foot end.
    Thanks, Shug. I'll sling it up and give it a try. I would love to stay with a standard width, although wide is nice, I think, in cold weather.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm 5'11" and an 11 ft. hammock is the perfect size for me!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Interesting read.

I am also 5'9" -- after going from a slightly less than 9-foot hammock to a slightly-over-10-footer, I kind of assumed that I'd want to go farther, like it seems many on here do. But I've realized that would be difficult. Much of the time, I'm squeezing into tight spaces as it is, with not much strap on either side -- would be more difficult with a longer hammock. Not to mention needing to buy a new tarp. (As much as I'd like to splurge on a whole 11' setup just to experiment!)

The volume of my setup, just as much as weight, is also a concern. I use a hammock mostly either traveling by bike or airplane.

Images
    I am 6'1". This very day I was laying in one of my fav non bridge hammocks- a Claytor No Net that I got about 2007/2008 or so. I was, as usual, at least as comfy as in any other gathered end hammocks I have tried, and more than most. It is 10 ft long by 4 ft wide. Both 11 ft hammocks I have(plus the almost 11 ft HH Explorer UL) are at best equally comfy. So I can't come up with any reason to use them, especially on the trail under an 11 ft tarp.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-16-2019 at 22:21.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Another anecdata point: i’m 5’10”, and my go-to camping hammock is 10’ because it is comfortable enough, and pitches between close trees where 11’ might not. It’s also light and packs small. Difference from an 11’ is small. BUT for my nightly at home i have experimented extensively with different lengths, and i find that longer is nearly always more comfortable. 12’ clearly better than 11’, all else equal. Past twice user height, it’s a matter of declining returns. Again, 10’ comfortable enough for me, but 12’ is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Another anecdata point: i’m 5’10”, and my go-to camping hammock is 10’ because it is comfortable enough, and pitches between close trees where 11’ might not. It’s also light and packs small. Difference from an 11’ is small. BUT for my nightly at home i have experimented extensively with different lengths, and i find that longer is nearly always more comfortable. 12’ clearly better than 11’, all else equal. Past twice user height, it’s a matter of declining returns. Again, 10’ comfortable enough for me, but 12’ is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    That's the point, though: you set the amount of sag in it to be sufficient to take it down to whatever height you want it at.

I can see how that would be true, and it's a good suggestion. Problem is, we're now looking at, say, $120+ rather than < $50.

Thanks!

If you want a cheap, but heavier version, any square tarp is a poor man's hex tarp with partial doors: if it doesn't already have tie-out points 1/4 of the way along each side, add some along opposite sides(a bit of grosgrain and a few seconds with a sewing machine), and put the main guylines there, then add extra guylines with a loop through the corner tieouts and peg down to the ground. Can get well under $50. If you don't mind leaving one end (say the head end, but it doesn't matter) more open, you can also peg out, along each side, the head-end corner and the midpoint tieout, then do the above looped guyline thing with the foot-end tie-outs. This gives you essentially a diamond tarp with doors on one end, and extra square-tarp coverage at the other, which avoids having to get a tarp with 1/4 tieouts without any sewing. This does perfectly for either option, since it's already got all of the tieouts on there.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesam3 View Post
    That's the point, though: you set the amount of sag in it to be sufficient to take it down to whatever height you want it at.

If you want a cheap, but heavier version, any square tarp is a poor man's hex tarp with partial doors: if it doesn't already have tie-out points 1/4 of the way along each side, add some along opposite sides(a bit of grosgrain and a few seconds with a sewing machine), and put the main guylines there, then add extra guylines with a loop through the corner tieouts and peg down to the ground. Can get well under $50. If you don't mind leaving one end (say the head end, but it doesn't matter) more open, you can also peg out, along each side, the head-end corner and the midpoint tieout, then do the above looped guyline thing with the foot-end tie-outs. This gives you essentially a diamond tarp with doors on one end, and extra square-tarp coverage at the other, which avoids having to get a tarp with 1/4 tieouts without any sewing. This does perfectly for either option, since it's already got all of the tieouts on there.
    Actually, there is a really good - actually incredible - value on Amazon. I have one, but, for summer use, I prefer the lighter, less bulky hex. It isn't a radical hex and has cat cuts on the side. Was a great deal on Amazon a couple of years back, but it is no longer available. Fortunately, I bought two while I had the chance.

Here's the 12x10 rectangular tarp that I was speaking about. I have an earlier one. At my suggestion, they added additional tie-outs but still appear to have missed the mark. Should have had 5, or even 4, per side, instead of 3. At a current price of $25.99, it is still a great deal. The one you link to is a bit small but has more tie-outs.

Thanks for the suggestions!

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Armour-H.../dp/B07C3PWWX7

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post

Thanks!
    Look at the ProVenture Hex tarp. it is 12' for $35.00 been using one for over 2 years now. Here is a HF's review: Tarp Review

This is the same tarp as the Chill Gorilla, though less expensive and smaller logo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast