Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

11' Hammock Disadvantages

My first hammocks were all 10 footers, give or take a couple of inches, and all wide versions. I was able to achieve a good sag via structural ridgeline and a decent diagonal lay. With the popularity of 11 footers, though, I knew I had to try that, so I now have 3 Dutch netless - one standard width and two wides. One of the wides has a couple of pulled places, but it is still usable. My experience so far is that I am not a fan of the 11 footers. Keep in mind that I am 5'9" and probably do not need the extra length, as a taller person may. Here are the issues that I have encountered with longer hammocks:

1. Requires much higher deployment of tree straps. [edit: wrong, see below]

2. If you dial in a decent sag, then your ridgeline is very high. Too high for ease of use.

3. If you dial in the recommended sag for the 11' length, then some accessories may become unusable. A good example is the Dutchware Summer Sock/Bug net.

[edit: The reason is that the amount of sag takes up all of the slack in the sock/net and stresses the fabric]

4. If, due to problems above, you use less sag, then tarp length may become a problem. For example, I have an inexpensive 11.5' hex tarp that is lightweight and compact, and, unless I dial in something like the recommended sag via the ridgeline (~83% of length of hammock), then the tarp is not long enough for adequate protection.

None of these things are a problem with a 10' hammock, which is why I am going back.
    Last edited by GoneShootn; 07-18-2019 at 10:19.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good you tried. Now you know. Take comfort in that.
    Hammocks are sorta like boots....not one size or type will work for all across the board.
    Enjoy the 10 footer and consider it case-closed!!!!!
    Whoooooo Buddy)))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I've never experienced your particular problems, but as Shug said, everyone's different. I do however fully agree that an 11' is wasted space and weight on someone your height. I'm 6', but have been more than comfortable in smaller hammock myself. I never thought about "dialing in sag" and I think maybe you're overthinking it, or maybe not, but I've never had to make many adjustments. Every hang is different as I don't set up in the same place ever so try distance etc is always different. I never thought about having to hang tree straps higher nor reaching up much for a ridgeline but I have a long torso and long arms. It's good you found what works for you. HYOH.

Oh, I wanted to add that again, expectations differ, but I had no problem with asym tarps for years and also readily used and enjoyed a 10' tarp with an 11' hammock. Maybe because I came from asym tarps first and i don't want or need a palace. Many people do enjoy tons of coverage.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    Here are the issues that I have encountered with longer hammocks:

1. Requires much higher deployment of tree straps.
    While I agree with what Shug said about using what works best for you, I respectfully disagree with your first point. In fact, it's exactly the opposite.

If you have a 10' hammock and an 11' hammock both with 83% structural ridgelines, and you hang them from the same set of trees both with the same suspension angles and sit height, then the tree straps for the 10' hammock will be higher up on the tree. For 30 degree suspension angles, the 10' hammock will have its straps about 3" (2.89" to be exact) higher than the 11' hammock.

The 10' hammock will always have the straps higher up on the tree if all the other variables remain the same. The amount higher increases as the suspension angle becomes steeper.

EDIT: See follow up post below.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 07-16-2019 at 15:40.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Good you tried. Now you know. Take comfort in that.
    Hammocks are sorta like boots....not one size or type will work for all across the board.
    Enjoy the 10 footer and consider it case-closed!!!!!
    Whoooooo Buddy)))))
    Shug
    Yep. Trying is fun! I'm not much of a 'seamstress', but I'm thinking of cutting one of the DW Wides down to 10'3". We'll see.

While I have your attention, I'd like your opinion on something. I have a DW Netless standard width, which is, I think, 58" wide. You are taller than I am and, so far as I know, use std width hammocks. I would actually prefer to use this width, over the wide versions, but when I use this hammock and find a comfortable diagonal lay, the top of the hammock hits my feet about half way, and that is aggravating. What is your experience?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    While I agree with what Shug said about using what works best for you, I respectfully disagree with your first point. In fact, it's exactly the opposite.

If you have a 10' hammock and an 11' hammock both with 83% structural ridgelines, and you hang them from the same set of trees both with the same suspension angles and sit height, then the tree straps for the 10' hammock will be higher up on the tree. For 30 degree suspension angles, the 10' hammock will have its straps about 3" (2.89" to be exact) higher than the 11' hammock.

The 10' hammock will always have the straps higher up on the tree if all the other variables remain the same. The amount higher increases as the suspension angle becomes steeper.
    I'm sorry - I want to correct myself here. What I wrote above is based on the hammock ridgelines being set at the same height off the ground, not the sit heights being set the same height off the ground.

With sit heights being equal, the 11' hammock will have its ridgeline higher off the ground than the 10' hammock. This negates the 2.89" difference in height I mentioned above. Actually, the 10' hammock's ridgeline will be about 3.6" closer to the ground, so the net result is that the 11' hammock will have its straps 0.7" higher on the tree (for a 30 degree suspension angle).

I know all this is theory and not necessarily important in practice. But it's hard to argue with geometry, and while I admit my previous mistake, I still don't agree that the 11' hammock requires much higher deployment of the straps on the tree than the 10' hammock.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep. Trying is fun! I'm not much of a 'seamstress', but I'm thinking of cutting one of the DW Wides down to 10'3". We'll see.

While I have your attention, I'd like your opinion on something. I have a DW Netless standard width, which is, I think, 58" wide. You are taller than I am and, so far as I know, use std width hammocks. I would actually prefer to use this width, over the wide versions, but when I use this hammock and find a comfortable diagonal lay, the top of the hammock hits my feet about half way, and that is aggravating. What is your experience?
    Make sure to center yourself in the hammock. Get your footend higher (6 t0 12 inches) so you slide into the sweet spot. Sound like you are too far down toward foot end.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Just some things that might help if you decide to give it another try:

My first hammocks were all 10 footers, give or take a couple of inches, and all wide versions. I was able to achieve a good sag via structural ridgeline and a decent diagonal lay. With the popularity of 11 footers, though, I knew I had to try that, so I now have 3 Dutch netless - one standard width and two wides. One of the wides has a couple of pulled places, but it is still usable. My experience so far is that I am not a fan of the 11 footers. Keep in mind that I am 5'9" and probably do not need the extra length, as a taller person may. Here are the issues that I have encountered with longer hammocks:

1. Requires much higher deployment of tree straps.
    Slightly lower deployment, with identically-spaced trees. You do have a higher minimum span, though.

2. If you dial in a decent sag, then your ridgeline is very high. Too high for ease of use.
    I have the stuff on my ridgeline dangling down a bit, which fixes it nicely. You could also just run a separate, non-load-bearing ridgeline that's easier to reach.

4. If, due to problems above, you use less sag, then tarp length may become a problem. For example, I have an inexpensive 11.5' hex tarp that is lightweight and compact, and, unless I dial in something like the recommended sag via the ridgeline (~83% of length of hammock), then the tarp is not long enough for adequate protection.
    Tarps with doors, even tiny ones, fix this issue nicely: an 11' minifly will keep you absolutely fine in an 11' hammock, with any amount of sag.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Hey, if a 10' hammock works best for you, enjoy the weight savings! At my height, I really prefer having an 11 footer. But if I could comfortably swing a 10' hammock, I'd be all over it!

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I'm sorry - I want to correct myself here. What I wrote above is based on the hammock ridgelines being set at the same height off the ground, not the sit heights being set the same height off the ground.

With sit heights being equal, the 11' hammock will have its ridgeline higher off the ground than the 10' hammock. This negates the 2.89" difference in height I mentioned above. Actually, the 10' hammock's ridgeline will be about 3.6" closer to the ground, so the net result is that the 11' hammock will have its straps 0.7" higher on the tree (for a 30 degree suspension angle).

I know all this is theory and not necessarily important in practice. But it's hard to argue with geometry, and while I admit my previous mistake, I still don't agree that the 11' hammock requires much higher deployment of the straps on the tree than the 10' hammock.
    Yep. After a session with the Hammock Calculator, I am officially disabused of that notion. Not sure why I had it in the first place. Maybe I'll figure it out later. Thanks for pointing that out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast