Warbonnet BB1.1
    Tarp
    Suprfly/MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    3-Season TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Do you run a ridge line?

Hi everyone... I know that this is a topic that has been hashed over many times. However, I thought that I would find what the latest consensus was regarding the subject. Experiences often change our perspectives.

Do you run a ridge line for your tarp? If so do you run over or under? Why?

Do you think that it is better to simply run lines from each end of the tarp and just tie to the trees?

I look forward to reading perspectives.

Dave
    WBBB 1.1 (Coyote Brown)
    SuperFly Tarp / MacCat Deluxe Tarp (Coyote Brown)
    TQ: Warbonnet 3 Season
    UQ: HammockGear 3 Season Incubator
    Mystery Ranch Kodiak or SweetPea / Gregory Z55

Images
    I find the most speed and simplicity with using a continuous ridge line and typically under the tarp because keeping a tarp tight that way puts less stress on the material. Have never gotten water on me from the CRL nor do I use drip lines on it.

Images
    Started with split lines. Tried continuous line for a while. went back to split lines. It seems like it’s easier and faster to put up than a continuous line.

In the future I will play more with direct-to-suspension tarp setups.

I use a continuous ridgeline with UCR adjusters on both ends, and separate ropes that go around the trees (with lumpy knots in one end and random points along it and spliced loops at the other end), connected to the main line with soft shackles: there's nothing easier and quicker to set up (just pass the end ropes around the trees and put a knot through the loop), and centring is trivial, since the tarp is only held in place by the guylines. I run it over the top, since my tarp has a fairly aggressive cat cut along the ridgeline, and I don't live somewhere that gets enough snow to worry about support.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I use a continuous ridge line with DCF tarps so that I can make the ridge line very taut while keeping the tarp RL more relaxed, using prusiks to center and adjust tautness of the tarp. The continuous ridge line itself needs to be quite taut because I frequently use my trekking poles as tarp spreaders and the RL keeps them from rubbing the tarp. I use a split ridge line with asym tarps.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Started with a continuous ridge line with soft shackle prussiks, Dutch Hook and Wasp. I HATE prussiks. Played with every piece of hardware I could get my hands on. Replaced the prussiks with mini ucrs and that was an improvement. Switched to split ridge lines with mini ucrs and Dutch Hooks and found that to be an improvement. Then dropped the Dutch Hooks in favor of spliced alternatives and that's where I am now. RL's stay with each tarp. No hardware.

It's just too easy as it is. Simple, effective, easy to one hand if needed, with cold, wet, gloved hands. Might something else come along? Maybe. For now I am very happy with the setup.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by David904 View Post

Do you run a ridge line for your tarp? If so do you run over or under? Why?
    Most of the time I'm running a continuous ridge line, Dutch hook on one end, wasp on the other. Tarp is fastened under the ridge line using prussic loops. I do it that way because....I dunno. I've just gotten used to doing it that way and it's the easiest, most consistent way I've found to center the tarp over the hammock. This is my setup probably 90 percent of the time.

The exceptions? I'll sometimes put the tarp over the ridge line just to try it out and also to provide myself with the excuse to answer queries like this one in a less dogmatic way by admitting that I'm inconsistent.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Depends on which tarp & weather conditions.

I have a number of tarps and my HH is configured with line from each end. I rarely use it but did it this way because I hated how the tarp would sag when I got into the hammock. Never bothered to change it to continuous.

In the non snow months I used a continuous that is strung over the tarp and use prussic knots. I use Dutch hook and wasp also for the trees.

In winter months I use a continuous ridge line but place it under the tarp. I feel that it adds a bit of support to the tarp when it snows.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Most of the time I'm running a continuous ridge line, Dutch hook on one end, wasp on the other. Tarp is fastened under the ridge line using prussic loops. I do it that way because....I dunno. I've just gotten used to doing it that way and it's the easiest, most consistent way I've found to center the tarp over the hammock. This is my setup probably 90 percent of the time.

The exceptions? I'll sometimes put the tarp over the ridge line just to try it out and also to provide myself with the excuse to answer queries like this one in a less dogmatic way by admitting that I'm inconsistent.
    Similar set-up for me, but I recently switched to Nama Claws instead of prusiks. I used to have a split ridgeline, but have found I like this more to be able to center the tarp where I want it. I still have the prusiks on the ridgeline that I use to hang other junk.

I switch back from above or below, depending on the tarp. With my cuben tarp and Autumnlight ridgeline with nama claws, I go above. My winter tarp with doors I use it below with zing it and prussicks and use my tarp poles above it.

There's no right or wrong answer on this one. Do what works for you and switching it up to try new things is what makes it interesting.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast