Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

N Michigan backpacking advice

I got 2 weeklong kayaking trips, one on Lake Superior out of Copper Harbor and 5 days later one out of Charlevoix Michigan. During the 5 day layover i’m thinking of doing some backpacking. Any recommendations about good backpacking areas between Copper Harbor and Charleviox? A loop or out and back of about 30 miles would be ideal.

E96C3EF6-A393-4F6A-8BFC-FF6F89FAC6A6.jpg
    Pictured rocks
    Do the chapel lake loop 10 miles
    One of Michigan’s best hikes all along the high cliffs
    Then paddle miners beach
    Last edited by West michigan; 07-17-2019 at 21:29.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    West Michigan, Thanks for the recommendation. The Chapel lake loop is shorter then I wanted so I researched other trails in Pictured Rock. Found the Lake Shore trail. A little longer then I wanted and a point to point trail but it looks spectacular and there is a shuttle service. Looks like some great possibilities in the área. Thanks again.

If you end up at Pictured Rocks, you have to go through the reservation system and book your backcountry sites for each night. There's lots of great hiking options in Michigan. You may also want to look into going out to North Manitou Island (from Leland via ferry), or just doing a bunch of overnights like the Jordan River Valley or Shingle Mill Pathway in the Gaylord/Vanderbilt area.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    If you're a fan of walking past piles of poop and toilet paper, the NCT section I just hiked on the Manistee is perfect. I counted 9 piles, all ON the spur trail to a camp. You'll also have a free Coleman tent, old frying pan, assorted trash, moldy wet sleeping bag, and a free pair of used undies hanging from a clothes line!

And not far away, choose from several full size recliner chairs to take a load off.

Add some aesthetic value courtesy of the two dirt bikes that just blazed thru an entire 10-mile section (no motorized vehicles allowed). Plus more poop for miles, this time from horses (horses not allowed).

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    If you're a fan of walking past piles of poop and toilet paper, the NCT section I just hiked on the Manistee is perfect. I counted 9 piles, all ON the spur trail to a camp. You'll also have a free Coleman tent, old frying pan, assorted trash, moldy wet sleeping bag, and a free pair of used undies hanging from a clothes line!

And not far away, choose from several full size recliner chairs to take a load off.

Add some aesthetic value courtesy of the two dirt bikes that just blazed thru an entire 10-mile section (no motorized vehicles allowed). Plus more poop for miles, this time from horses (horses not allowed).
    I call the county Sheriff when I encounter this stuff and they do intervene. I once encountered a semi-permanent camp on the NCT up by 131 and the guys were using ATV's and firing high powered rifles down the trail at targets they set up. I found their vehicles, took plate numbers and reported them. A local livery I work with said they were arrested and their ATV's were seized. If this stuff gets reported it may fall in deaf ears, yet if not reported, no one will know. Just my .02.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I call the county Sheriff when I encounter this stuff and they do intervene. I once encountered a semi-permanent camp on the NCT up by 131 and the guys were using ATV's and firing high powered rifles down the trail at targets they set up. I found their vehicles, took plate numbers and reported them. A local livery I work with said they were arrested and their ATV's were seized. If this stuff gets reported it may fall in deaf ears, yet if not reported, no one will know. Just my .02.
    Good to hear of those stories! I didn't see them, but heard dirt bikes the previous day. They could have been on all the (flagrantly plentiful) access roads to the river so I didn't think anything of it. But I saw that the tracks were fresh the following day, so I'm sure that's who I heard.

p.s. it was nice to meet everyone's brother last weekend. Good golly!! Popup canopies, fifth wheels, RVs, campers, tents, pool toys galore, propane tanks, ATVs, etc. HIGH usage. I look forward to the same run later in september or october.

• + New Posts