Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advise the newbie please

I am narrowing down my hammock choice and would like opinions from the experienced masses (with an "m").

The WB Eldorado is my top choice so far based on research & reviews.

1. I like the idea of the double layer, probably lightweight (I am 5'8", 155) simply because of what I've heard of the anti-mosquito effectiveness.

2. It seems like the main advantage to WB's Dream-Tex is the softness/quietness of the fabric. But the double layer says the outer layer is Dream-Tex and the inner is nylon. Is there a reason for putting the softer fabric on the outside?

3. While I would be camping mostly from late spring to late summer (New England), what is the lowest overnight temp that would be comfortable- in normal hiking pants and light fleece top, not heavy layers- before I would need an underquilt?

Any thoughts?

Hammock
    BIAS WW DH Freebird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    JRB SS HG Clone
    Suspension
    Whoopies Straps
    For me i need under insulation below 75.

My hammocks are single layer, and not integrated. When I do hike in buggy weather the net I carry covers the entire hammock, no problems with being bitten from below. When there are no bugs to contend with, I leave it at home. Thus the additional layer can stay at home too.

Seeing that the WB is integrated and I won't try to talk you out it, if you don't mind carrying the weight of a net and a second hammock body, even when you don't need it, you've made a decent choice.

As to the fabric choices, Brandon is pretty available to customers, for those questions and any others you might have concerning construction of your order.
    Signature suspended

Your a pretty lightweight guy. All else being equal, a double layer hammock is gonna be stiffer than a single layer. My experience with a tighter lay (I have a double layer Blackbird XLC) is that there is more calf ridge to deal with, which may be an issue for somebody just starting out. If you go with a more stretchy single layer, your probably gonna be more comfortable. My recommendation would be a Dutchware Gear Chameleon in single layer Hexon 1.6 with an asymmetric bug net, although the El Dorado in single layer would be good as well. As far as bugs, your almost always gonna have something underneath you, either an underquilt or a pad. If not, you can always treat the hammock with permethrin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    netless 11-foot GE
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    JRB and AHE
    Suspension
    whoopies or becket
    Quote Originally Posted by mqwebs View Post

The WB Eldorado is my top choice so far based on research & reviews.

1. I like the idea of the double layer, probably lightweight (I am 5'8", 155) simply because of what I've heard of the anti-mosquito effectiveness.

2. It seems like the main advantage to WB's Dream-Tex is the softness/quietness of the fabric. But the double layer says the outer layer is Dream-Tex and the inner is nylon. Is there a reason for putting the softer fabric on the outside?

3. While I would be camping mostly from late spring to late summer (New England), what is the lowest overnight temp that would be comfortable- in normal hiking pants and light fleece top, not heavy layers- before I would need an underquilt?

Any thoughts?
    I'm about your same size, weight and height both, but I'm not you, so don't take any of my thoughts on this stuff as gospel.

The Eldorado is an excellent choice and gets good press from people who have one. You'll probably never be unhappy with Warbonnet.

1)You don't really need a double layer hammock to support your weight, and my opinion is that the mosquito through the bottom stuff is over-rated. I live and camp in Georgia in a single layer hammock and I have NEVER been bitten through my hammock. If your sole reason for the double layering is mosquito protection, there are other solutions, like simply wearing clothing or adding an underquilt or pad which you'll need anyway in all but the balmiest of conditions.

2)Your fabric question may be answered best by contacting WB directly, or post in their forum here. Somebody from the company will probably chime in.

3)Night time temperatures below about 70 F call for some sort of insulation. In summer, I've taken to using a poncho liner made into a PLUQ (see Derek Hansen's website for details). If temps are dropping below 60, I'm using an underquilt. You will lose an astonishing amount of body heat from air circulating underneath you in a hammock, even in fairly warm conditions, and even if you're ensconced in a sleeping bag. For temperatures below 20, I'll be doubling up on bottom insulation, probably either adding a pad with the underquilt or stacking two underquilts.

But the best teacher is experience. Get your hammock and go camping and see what works. Don't try to get everything perfect the first time. Make mistakes.

Hammock
    Dutchware chameleon
    Tarp
    12ft xenon hex
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I thought about purchasing a double layer hammock for big protection but then I purchased a netless hexon 1.0 and a detached bug net and it is perfect! I get 360 degree bug protection and it does not sit on my face for some reason. I can also stand with half my body in the bugnet for when Im changing. Also soaked it in permethrin for a recent trip and it seemed to make a shield around me, never heard a single bug while I was in the hammock.

I cannot attest to wbs dream-Tex but the hexon 1.0 is very lightweight and compressible and super smooth and comfortable. Would definitely recommend.

As for temps with no underquilt, I have never done it so I can not say. My mos recent trip I used a cdt where the night lows were around 60 and I was happy I brought it. I would say somewhere in the high 70s you wouldnt need an underquilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I wouldn't have thought that 70 degrees would be the underquilt line but that seems to be the general consensus. I considered the full bugnet but since the Eldorado comes with the built-in, was looking at other options. It certainly wouldn't add much carry weight, though.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF Stnd + WP
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I think the temps are less of a factor than wind, when it comes to comfort range. I've been out at 75F with a stiff breeze and the convection was pulling my body heat out... darn near felt like it was late fall.

I never go without a UQ.. Easier to vent or push it aside than it is to insulate with leaves, sticks and bark..
    * The difficulty of finding any given trail marker is directly proportional to the importance of the consequences of failing to find it.

* I can lift all the weight I want at the gym. Walking shouldn't be a workout. ~ Just Bill

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10 X 10
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    There is a Warbonnet El Dorado for sale listed in the Marketplace.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ayer-Dream-Tex

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'd say go for the hammock you 'think' you want as it most likely will not be your last. The first one is always the experimental hammock and eventually you will hone in on the one you really like. It took me 6 hammocks to finally settle on the Ridge Runner yet I still use the others from time to time.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Similar to above....

Single layer is plenty. Never been bit, even thru Hexon 1.0

Double is mega massive overkill for 5-8/155

Forget annoying, clunky pads, and get an underquilt. Fall is right around the corner and you're in MA so I would suggest a 20deg to start. Even at 75F you'll cool off as body metabolism slows down during the night. Kick off the TQ to vent/cool and you won't get hot even with the 20deg UQ.

You'll get more and different stuff as your experience grows.

If you're a backpacker interested in low weight/volume and are willing to make the investment, spend more up front to get lighter shell materials and higher FP down.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast