Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Lightweight Hammock - Monolite 1.0 vs Mtn XL 1.2?

While I like the idea of Monolite 1.0, especially for summer use, it seems to me that Mtn XL 1.2 is both lightweight and small in bulk, while Monolite is very light but somewhat bulky unless you compress it. And then there's that weird anyone (and anything) can see you. But what are your opinions and experiences? This may be a moot question, since Mtn 1.2 seems to not be available at the moment, but I would still like to know.

Which would you prefer, and why?
    Advantages and disadvantages?
    Is privacy a concern with Monolite?
    etc.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I made hammocks of both 1.7oz MTN and Monolite. On the trail, I use 1.7oz MTN due to its bullet proof strength, stiffness, and total lack of calf ridge. I use the Monolite lounging in the yard on hot, humid summer days for its coolness and visibility is a plus when conversing with my wife in her Monolite hammock.
    I weigh just shy of 200 lb. and sleep more comfortably in a stiffer hammock. That weight puts me near the limit of Monolite. So, for me the 1.7oz MTN is for trail and Monolite is a summer yard hammock..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    LSOH hexon 1.0 w/detachable bugnet
    Tarp
    WB 20D MInifly
    Insulation
    WB UQ, HG topquilt
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    I cannot attest to the mtn 1.0 but I have used both the hex on 1.0 and 1.6. I weigh 200 lbs and the hexon 1.0 is plenty strong. It is much stretchy but the fabric is much softer and more comfortable to the touch. It is also significantly lighter. Hexon 1.0 is my new go to hammock fabric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Honestly... Sounds like the recently announced Mountain 1.3 would be worth holding off for.

I have some Hybrid 1.2 in Coyote and a few 11' shop sample gathered ends left if you were interested.

I just sewed up a Monolite but haven't had a chance to try it yet. It looks interesting, but I'm a fan of the Hybrid denier construction as well as the weight in the mountain line. I have tried Hexon since Dutch upgraded it to Nylon 6.6 and while a big improvement I'm not going to be working with it. While a hair softer and ideal perhaps for some... since I mainly build bridges there is no doubt the Hybrid line is the best fabric I can use. It is murkier on the gathered end side of things though.

The Hybrid 1.2 is a little limiting in bridges, but as a gathered end it works great up to around 200lbs for most. I use it up to 235 as I like a softer fabric and really it just comes down to how firm you like it. I personally find the Hybrid 1.7 a bit stiff in a gathered end and perhaps you could give the slight edge to the Hexon 1.6 for those in the 190-225 range. Past that I'd bump up to the Hybrid 1.7.

That said- This Nylon 6.6 yarn upgrade may be just what I'm looking for in the Hybrid fabric line so I'm looking forward to that for my bridge hammocks especially. I wouldn't be that surprised to see it compete favorably with the Hexon 1.6.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Honestly... Sounds like the recently announced Mountain 1.3 would be worth holding off for.
    I hadn't heard about the 1.3. Got a link on that?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    I hadn't heard about the 1.3. Got a link on that?
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz_AFlAF...d=8efa8wqpwr5z

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I am a little over 200 lbs and my Monolite hammock is my most favorite for lounging in. Just seems to have the right amount of stretch.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I have both. Well, actually one is the original Robic 1.2 XL. The Robic is a Half Wit clone with 0.5 Nano-Noseeum bug net and the Monolite has a zippered 0.67 half bug net. Both in eleven foot.

I don't use the Robic 1.2 anymore. I really liked the Robic fabric when I made that hammock. The hand is exceptional. Very soft with a cool diamond ripstop pattern and not slippery. Packs down super small in a DCF stuff sack. However, it has just a bit too much stretch for me. The extra width is wasted on me. I prefer standard width of 58" to 60". Even with a dual Knotty at the foot end, the extra fabric taco's around me.

The Monolite is an anomaly. It looks like it shouldn't be unsafe for hammock use. Doesn't stretch much if at all. It's a nice firm lay, also with very little sliding, but with far more ventilation and much more comfortable. I am using it all summer so far, paired with a Phoenix UQ and find it really comfortable. As far as being able to see through it... I'm under a tarp. There isn't much privacy to begin with. And, I am rarely someplace or with someone where it makes a difference. Its' transparency is all upside for me. While it does pack a bit bulkier, it isn't an issue. It's still better than packing something like... a Superfly or a DH Raven with bug net for example. I pack it loosely in a DCF stuff sack.. no problem.

Weight....

The Robic 1.2 XL has an integrated half bug net (no zippers), is wider than the Monolite, has a zingit SRL and has 7/64 Amsteel CL's. 10.7 oz

The Monolite has half of the #3 coil zippers on each side, at the head end, zingit SRL and Dynaglide CL's... A true UL piece of kit. It's right at 8 oz. Add the half bug net, which has the other half of the zippers and total weight is 10.6 oz.

Cliff Notes.... I am selling the Robic 1.2 XL and keeping the Monolite.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    diy 1.7 mtn xl
    Tarp
    UGQ 11' Hex hanger
    Insulation
    HG econ TQ, JARBID
    Suspension
    myerstech
    Well if that just doesnt look like a new hammock. Darn, that's just what I don't need. Haha

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I finally got a chance to try the Monolite...
    I did an eleven footer with double knotty mods at roll width. Also pairing it with a Phoenix as Micheal does.

Few nights in the basement and I'm closer to 230... but I also am enjoying it more than I thought I would.
    It compares favorably with my hybrid 1.2 as far as stretch. I could easily see it being firmer at a lower weight but I prefer a stretchier GE.

It is nice being able to see through 'the wall' as well as easily being able to spot the UQ.

I'm impressed! I was pretty skeptical of the fabric myself and while I don't see a place for it in my bridge hammocks when I do reach for a GE I could see this being of more use. I originally bought it just to try it... thinking it might make a nice option for a robust but light gear storage option at the end of the day. But having spent a few nights in it I can see it being a viable GE material so long as long term durability proves to be there.

I'll likely grab another hunk of it when the Hybrid 1.3 pops.
    For anyone sewing their own... the monolite is worth a shot.

On the packsize... this clearly isn't going to beat out my Membrane 10 hammocks, nor pack as small as a hyperD or Hybrid 1.2.
    But especially for a summer hammock where gear space is not a premium I don't think it's a deal killer in anyway. I think that ding is secondary to the extra visibility offered.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast