DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF Stnd + WP
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Like others I air everything out whether it rained or not. Clean droppings and dust off. Quilts hang outside if possible and I air them inside out first then right them and continue to air them.

When wet, and man did we get wet on the last Laurel Highlands Trail hike, I hung everything in the garage. shook it out a few times. Flipped it inside out and back a few times.. this goes for tarp, quilts and pack.
    * The difficulty of finding any given trail marker is directly proportional to the importance of the consequences of failing to find it.

* I can lift all the weight I want at the gym. Walking shouldn't be a workout. ~ Just Bill

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Like others I air everything out whether it rained or not. Clean droppings and dust off. Quilts hang outside if possible and I air them inside out first then right them and continue to air them.

When wet, and man did we get wet on the last Laurel Highlands Trail hike, I hung everything in the garage. shook it out a few times. Flipped it inside out and back a few times.. this goes for tarp, quilts and pack.
    What got so wet? Your hiking clothes?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Drying wet or damp gear after rainy camping

Car stays in the driveway - gear and clothing gets hung up or spread out in the garage to dry. Once everything is dry, it gets washed or cleaned as necessary and readied for the next trip.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I was on this trip with MikekiM (and three other friends) and with the rain and high relative humidity everything is either wet or, in the case of quilts/hammocks, at the very least damp. With no opportunity to truly dry out, moisture will accumulate.

There are some who claim to be able to keep their quilts dry in such conditions but in my experience this does not happen, which is why I simply stuff the quilts into the bottom of my DCF pack (which is essentially a large dry bag) and don't worry about it. Even if a small amount of moisture works its way through a pinhole in the pack it isn't going to make a discernible difference.

But if people want to fret over this and use multiple dry sacks and waste time packing and carry extra stuff that accomplishes nothing, well alrighty then. The only thing that really works for an extended backpacking trip is to have a drying party when sunny, dry weather returns.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

Simplicity boils down to two steps: Identify the essential. Eliminate the rest. Leo Babauta

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S&D

Drying wet or damp gear after rainy camping

TallPaul great views atop Big Hump, scenic Balds
    Chknbone, windows all way up drying gear. Missed yall by a week. And Id be even luckier to cross paths and share coffee with MikekiM and Cmoulder or TrailBlaser since yall are further up trail
    BillyBob, wet clothes wet cookkit bag damp hammock ends at gather wet tarp
    Quilts damp
    Hey....We was wet when we was born and our loving Mommas held us until we were warm...so there ya go!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 07-20-2019 at 06:44.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    TallPaul great views atop Big Hump, scenic Balds
    Chknbone, windows all way up drying gear. Missed y’all by a week. And I’d be even luckier to cross paths and share coffee with MikekiM or Cmoulder, since y’all are further up trail
    That'd be really cool! Last time I was down your way was Aug 2017 for the solar eclipse, Bob Stratton Bald, in a crowd of 342 (official Forest Service head count, from the Ranger himself!). I hiked Shining Rock and some other Pisgah/NC venues many years ago (1981) and would love to do so again.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

Simplicity boils down to two steps: Identify the essential. Eliminate the rest. Leo Babauta

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF Stnd + WP
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    LOL... what didn't get wet...

It didn't take long before we just stopped trying to rock-hop. Rain gear went on and off a few times each day. That said, my hiking clothes stayed fairly dry. We left for the trail with weather reports showing 100% rain for the week, so all of us were prepared. I used a Montbell Versalite II, a Dry Ducks Boonie, Silnylon rain chaps (which I loved and upgraded to DCF when I got back). There was no keeping feet dry.. though I have added a pair of rain socks to my Amazon Cart.

Tarps were soaked (HG Standard DCF with doors), but even with the blowing rain and diminutive size of the Standard, my hammock and quilts never got rained on. I carried them in a nylofume bag in an Arc Blast.. so no water issues there either. The Blast is very well sealed and the nylofume is likely unnecessary.

All that rain protection can't combat hanging humidity, so once home the quilts and hammock needed to dry out. Sadly, the rain followed me home so I had everything hanging in the garage.. tarp, pack, quilts, shoes (after cleaning all the mud off), chaps, jacket, hat... and I kept the garage heater on for a bit. I am positive my TPW post-hike was far more than my dry weight before leaving, even after eating all my food stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    ....And I’d be even luckier to cross paths and share coffee with MikekiM and Cmoulder or TrailBlaser since y’all are further up trail
    BillyBob, wet clothes wet cookkit bag damp hammock ends at gather wet tarp
    Quilts damp
    Hey....We was wet when we was born and our loving Mommas held us until we were warm...so there ya go!
    Would be great to meet! If our fall trip takes us south again, we'll give you a heads up!

I really don't mind rain. It adds another dimension to backpacking.. smells, sounds, etc. The only bother on that last trip was constantly wet feet and that every step forward was met with two muddy steps (slides) sideways. Amazing that none of us pulled a groin muscle. I went down once.. no major damage to me or gear, and another hiker slipped off a slick foot bridge and landed in the stream below.
    * The difficulty of finding any given trail marker is directly proportional to the importance of the consequences of failing to find it.

* I can lift all the weight I want at the gym. Walking shouldn't be a workout. ~ Just Bill

Images
    Wow! So, I have been told by some folks "If you can't keep your down dry, you shouldn't be in the woods!". Apparently at least damp down was a part of this trip! Maybe you at least had treated down? If so, that might have minimized the potential problems.

Cmoulder: "There are some who claim to be able to keep their quilts dry in such conditions but in my experience this does not happen".

I agree. And the longer the trip, and the darker the skies, the less likely all will be dry.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF Stnd + WP
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Wet and damp are very different things.

If you have a good rain system, your pack is weather tight or you use a liner and you pay attention to your tarp pitch, you have a better chance of not getting wet.

Nothing you can do (that I know of) to prevent the dampness.

Take every chance you can to dry and air stuff out.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S&D
    There is a learning curve on being dry enough for comfort. The heavens do not dole out good grades on bell curve like in junior high.
    Most through hikers of AT are more skilled and experienced than me...On years with most prolonged rain lasting weeks on end...coincide with greatest Washout Rate, with most who abandoned their quest cause of staying soaked

If hammock, quilts and shorts and tee shirt are dry Ill sleep good...
    If not...coffee, whiskey&bold lies will be my fall back

Phantom has alcohol rarely and sparingly and has never started a story with intention of telling a whopping lie...until after second mug coffee...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast