DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket

Triangle Thingies Question

I have been contemplating making a set of triangle thingies out of some leftover zing-it. I really like the concept, but I have a couple questions for those who use (or have used them).

1) If I mod my existing UQ- which currently has both a primary & secondary suspension (secondary susp. has lineloc 3s already installed), can I just remove the primary suspension completely, and use the secondary suspension cordage and linelocs for the connection & adjustment? My gut tells me yes, but wasn't sure if the 3/32 shock cord is beefy enough to handle becoming the "primary" suspension. But since there would be no 'outward pull' on the cordage, I'm inclined to think it should be fine.

2) How do you adjust the positioning of the UQ side-to-side? I know this method is designed to lift the quilt upwards; but I'm not seeing a way to position the quilt closer to/further from the ends of the hammock.

Thank you for your help!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I can't answer your questions directly.. I tried a few different versions of the triangle thingies and gave up on them. Before I take a deep dive into what I did in place of the triangles... are you using an integrated bug net or does you hammock have an exposed structural ridge line??
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    My Darien has an integrated non-removable net. And my Raven has an integrated but fully removable net.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you use the secondary suspension only- then the 3/32 sc maynot be efficient/ strong enough to support the UQ (depends on UQ rating) But you will have the 1/8 sc that was the primary suspension to replace it if the need arrises.
    To adjust the fit just tighten/ loosen the appropriate shock cord- this is what I have done to my 3 season UQ and it is working well. Once you get it setup it fits the same every time. Hang angle 30*

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    If you use the secondary suspension only- then the 3/32 sc maynot be efficient/ strong enough to support the UQ (depends on UQ rating) But you will have the 1/8 sc that was the primary suspension to replace it if the need arrises.
    To adjust the fit just tighten/ loosen the appropriate shock cord- this is what I have done to my 3 season UQ and it is working well. Once you get it setup it fits the same every time. Hang angle 30*
    Thanks. I wonder if the 1/8 shock cord will work in the linelocs on my quilt. Also, can the UQ be adjusted side to side with the triangle thingies? For instance, if I need to position the UQ more towards the head end of the hammock, can I do that with the triangle thingies?

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Thanks. I wonder if the 1/8 shock cord will work in the linelocs on my quilt. Also, can the UQ be adjusted side to side with the triangle thingies? For instance, if I need to position the UQ more towards the head end of the hammock, can I do that with the triangle thingies?

The triangle thingies "lift" the ends up while the positioning is handled by the secondary (now the only) suspension. Loosen the foot end SC's and tighten the head end SC's and the UQ will shift towards the head end, the TT excell at lifting the UQ to your backside and help to seal out any drafts so as not to experience CBS. The 1/8" sc works fine in the linelocs I have - it is snug but works.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    The triangle thingies "lift" the ends up while the positioning is handled by the secondary (now the only) suspension. Loosen the foot end SC's and tighten the head end SC's and the UQ will shift towards the head end, the TT excell at lifting the UQ to your backside and help to seal out any drafts so as not to experience CBS. The 1/8" sc works fine in the linelocs I have - it is snug but works.
    Thank you! That is exactly the explanation I was looking for. Do you feel the UQ spreads out better with the TTs, and by not having to rely on the primary suspension? Is it less restrictive?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I use half wit style hammocks so my foot-end ridge line is exposed. I have a small mitten clip that slides along the ridge line and to it I clip the primary suspension. Seems to work like a charm.

When/if I switch to the full integrated net, I simply hook left and right side primary suspension together using a soft shackle that rests on the ridge line. Seems to work just as well.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I use half wit style hammocks so my foot-end ridge line is exposed. I have a small mitten clip that slides along the ridge line and to it I clip the primary suspension. Seems to work like a charm.

When/if I switch to the full integrated net, I simply hook left and right side primary suspension together using a soft shackle that rests on the ridge line. Seems to work just as well.
    I'm not able to visualize how you would connect your UQ suspension to a soft shackle on your ridgeline while using an integrated net. Can you explain this in more detail?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Maybe UQ suspensions joined by soft shackle, straddle or saddle over both hammock ridgeline and bugnet...I’m guessing

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast