Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from Central Virginia

My wife and I have two boys. One is 4 years old, the other is 14 months. We're camping folks, but typically stick to an older model Kelty Trail Ridge 6. It suits us well for car camping. My wife and I also go on some backpacking trips, and we have a sub 3lb backpacking tent. We have several trips planned in the near future including a vacation in Maine near Acadia. We will have a cabin there, but my wife stated that she'd love to have a hammock, and put me to task to figure that out. What a rabbit hole that became. I first looked into an ENO doublenest, Kammock Doubleroo, and Grand Trunk offerings, but somehow landed here on the HF, and began looking at some cottage vendors.

We ended up purchasing a Tree Runner SL 11' XL from the "Gear up clearance" page from SLD on 7/17/19. It will arrive on Monday.

I am very excited to check it all out. Super stoked!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new equipment. Be sure to report back and let us know how you like your new hammock.

Welcome from Northern Va., love Acadia as well. Now Im a little envious. Enjoy your trip. Hopefully we may cross paths at a local hang. ( Great way to learn more about this wonderful rabbit hole)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ Buckles
    Welcome LG! I'm a newbie to the forum and love the wealth of info on here. I'm from central VA too. Grew up in Louisa Co. Also lived in Lynchburg before moving to NC.

Quote Originally Posted by LGspencer View Post
    ...my wife stated that she'd love to have a hammock, and put me to task to figure that out. What a rabbit hole that became.
    LOL! And it only keeps going. The answer to the question, "How many hammocks does one person really need?" is always "One more." Good luck on the journey into hammock camping. Post a few pictures if you wish or questions if you have them and usually somebody will chime in and tell you what you're doing wrong.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Thanks for the warm welcome...

TrailSlug, I’ll definitely report back. It seems SLD and Jared’s reputation is solid, especially on these forums. During the purchase, I was concerned that the 1.9oz ripstop wouldn’t be appropriate for a couples hammock because I saw discrepancies in weight rating, but Jared was quick to reply and stated his rating was conservative.

Yojimbo, Group hangs sound really cool. I’m looking forward to figuring out the hammock and accessories, and likely check group hangs out. I live about 45mins from the central entrance to Shenandoah Nat’l Park, so I’m confident I can find a group.

Hangin Heel, Louisa is not far from me...even closer to my workplace. I have family in NC...they live near Maggie Valley/Waynesville. We used to go yearly, and just a family visit felt like vacation. Love those Smokey Mtns.

Sidneyhornblower, I know what you mean. I’m constantly considering additional gear...I figure I should master the hammock itself m, and then I’ll acquire a hammock tarp and bugnet. I’m really digging the Simplicity Asym Hammock Tarp from SLD as well. Also want to try my hand at some DIY stuff.

I’m just stoked. I haven’t really been this excited for something in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome from VA also! I am new here too, but it sounds like I followed you down the rabbit hole. I pretty much have been doing the same research as you. I just picked up the SLD 'starter' 1.3oz ripstop and can't wait to try it out. I'm sure I will not be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by vabch22 View Post
    Hello and welcome from VA also! I am new here too, but it sounds like I followed you down the rabbit hole. I pretty much have been doing the same research as you. I just picked up the SLD 'starter' 1.3oz ripstop and can't wait to try it out. I'm sure I will not be disappointed.
    Hey vabch22. I chose the tree runner from the ‘gear up clearance’ for one main reason. It included UQ attachment clips in lieu of a ridgline (I believe the starter has a ridgeline but no UQ clips). Ridgelines seem fairly easy to make, but I don’t trust my sewing skill to add UQ clips later. Shug has a video how to make a ridge line, so I’ll add one to mine. I ordered the SLD TR on 7/17 and received on 7/20.

It appears to be a very high quality hammock.

Hello from Central Virginia

I finally had a chance to set the hammock. It took me a few days to figure out the positioning at my house since I live in a townhouse without trees. Originally I was going to attempt to hang from my deck support posts, but they are unfortunately 8 feet apart. Then I considered diagonal across my deck but I became concerned with the privacy screen for support as it’s reinforced with a 4x4 (and a bit loose). I thought I might have to build a tensahedron (and I still might (see rabbit hole above)). Eventually I setup on the diagonal between one 6x6 deck support post and the patio door hinge, with door closed. I am now gently swaying about 18” above my patio pavers listening to the crickets.

The SLD tree runner is a beautiful hammock, although a bit wide for just me. I can wrap it over me like a blanket. I knew this going in but...my wife wanted we could share on trips. With the 1.9 oz material and extra width I think it fits the bill, and has the extra benefit of being a hammock I can use on the trail.

I am very happy with this hammock. I’ll probably pick up a SLD tarp and bugnet at a later date.

Last edited by LGspencer; 07-25-2019 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by LGspencer View Post
    Hey vabch22. I chose the tree runner from the ‘gear up clearance’ for one main reason. It included UQ attachment clips in lieu of a ridgline (I believe the starter has a ridgeline but no UQ clips). Ridgelines seem fairly easy to make, but I don’t trust my sewing skill to add UQ clips later.
    You are correct, from what I read on his descriptions. I looked at the clearance section and was going to pick up the TR, but talked myself out of it as I didn't want anything too wide in the fear of extra fabric getting in the way or hitting me in the face. I don't think we as newcomers can go wrong with any of the cottage vendors. It's just finding what works best for you. I'm just scared that I will like it too much and end up with a few hammocks.

I do not have any trees to really hang in the yard, so I need to do some scouting or see what I can come up with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast