Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Miquel Westano View Post
    You kind of answered your own question when you said haven't dialed one in yet. It is hard to find a hammock that just instantly is perfect for you. Think about that for a second. I am 5'9" and about 185. How could any hammock be perfect for me and you set up the same way? The trick is to find the hammock that meets all your need then fiddle with it over and over. I have the XLC and agree if the setup isn't right it can be a bit tight. It is designed from what I hear to be used with the foot quite a bit higher than the head. I find mine perfect with just a few inches higher, but others have mentioned a foot or more.

Just an inch or two up on the foot and down on the head or vice versa makes the same hammock seem like a totally different one to me. Add in the variables like ridgeline tension, strap/whoopee angle, and even the underquilt suspension adjustments and there is an unbelievable amount of tinkering to be done before you write off one hammock.
    Thanks and I have since learned of the tinkering required to get it right. Perhaps the XLC could have worked but I went with the 30 degree angle and ridgeline not too tight and assumed that was as good as it could get because that was all I knew at the time. Alas...

But being a big guy I like the idea of a 12 foot wide hammock. I realize bigger isn't always better but it seems like it may be in this situation.

Not to derail my own thread, but after researching hammocks, I have to say that of all the gear a person uses in the outdoors, hammocks have got to be the most customizable and also the most subjective and therefore the potential to be the most confusing. When you buy a tent, you usually settle on a manufacturer and model and that is that. Well perhaps it's that way with some hammock manufacturers like HH but for others, you really have to do your homework. I was hoping to provide some variables and be told I need this material but again, I need to select it. I guess I see the reason since it's personal and what works for one person my height and build won't work for another. But I would rather have the recommendation from the person who is making the hammock and has experience with many different materials than try to find the best material based on a users recommendation who may have only owned a hammock or two. Reminds me of when I was looking for a custom bike frame. It's easy to get caught up in the marketing and thinking you need Reynolds or Columbus or True Temper tubing. One respected builder TELLS you what tubing he will use based on his assessment of your needs. Sorry if that sounds like a rant but the possibility of me being able to feel and test several hammock materials is impossible.

So having bored you with all of that, I am thinking of getting two layer Hexon 1.6.

Hammock
    diy 1.7 mtn xl
    Tarp
    UGQ 11' Hex hanger
    Insulation
    HG econ TQ, JARBID
    Suspension
    myerstech
    Something else to consider is different people like different materials not just because of feel but also stretch. Some like a firmer material while others like stretchy-er materials. That's one reason I got into diy. I just made a hammock out of 1.7mtn xl and its more firm than my hexon 1.6's. That said I just saw where RSBTR is about to come out with a 1.3 so guess who will prolly have a new hammock in a month or so

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsinbc View Post
    Thanks ---

But being a big guy I like the idea of a 12 foot wide hammock. ---

So having bored you with all of that, I am thinking of getting two layer Hexon 1.6.
    You're welcome. I agree at your height a wider hammock may be a better choice. The 12' I don't know about, but I guarantee the vendors here would have great insight on that. There is so much knowledge and experience on here, almost any question can be answered in general terms. But, the reason some of the choices come down to preference is no one really wants the exact same feel. I love a double layer for the stiff feel, others love singles for the exact opposite.

When I bought my first road bike, I went through the same thing you did. Frames, components, wheels etc. I got lots of general advice, but ultimately I went through several bikes before I found the right one. Sometimes it is just part of the journey and needs to be enjoyed. At least compared to bicycles hammocks are pretty darn affordable.

I assure you I was not bored and in fact enjoy talking to others who are just getting into hammocks. I am sure the others on here feel the same. This is one of the most friendly communities I have ever visited. Keep us posted.

Miguel, You are right. I need to enjoy the process. I was hoping to get one within a couple of weeks but I will use the Clark and maybe have an aha moment and find it out it actually works for me. Until then I will check in and research in case it doesn't. And you are right about this being a friendly place. I haven't seen one snarky comment yet. I stopped going to some bike forums because people can be absolutely viscous.

And gtownreb, coincidentally I did hear back from Dream Hammock and they thought the MTN 1.7 would be a good choice but that I should wait because of the 1.3 soon to be released. I thought the timing was uncanny.

Images
    Miguel, You are right. I need to enjoy the process. I was hoping to get one within a couple of weeks but I will use the Clark and maybe have an aha moment and find it out it actually works for me. Until then I will check in and research in case it doesn't. And you are right about this being a friendly place. I haven't seen one snarky comment yet. I stopped going to some bike forums because people can be absolutely viscous.

And gtownreb, coincidentally I did hear back from Dream Hammock and they thought the MTN 1.7 would be a good choice but that I should wait because of the 1.3 soon to be released. I thought the timing was uncanny.
    While you are trying to figure out which one of the other hammocks is finally the right one, and possibly even finally looking into a bridge hammock such as JRB or WB or one of JustBill's, get yourself a nice fat knee pillow. That can help or solve a bunch of issues. Who knows, it might even help your problems. I find that it makes one gathered end hammock much like another. YMMV, of course, but it is cheap and easy to look into.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-of-old-trick

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ee-Pillow-Hack

Thanks for that advice and I will file it away for my upcoming trip.

However with all of the dialogue with Jared I couldn't help it and ended up ordering a hammock from him using MTN XL 1.7. Should arrive in plenty of time before my trip. Yeah I know it's bad form to not fully test gear before leaving on a backpacking trip but I feel pretty confident this will work well for me.

Thanks for all of your advice. I will report back once received and tested.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    However with all of the dialogue with Jared I couldn't help it and ended up ordering a hammock from him using MTN XL 1.7.
    congrats....did you order the trail lair?
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Images
    I couldn't help it and ended up ordering a hammock......................
    Hey, believe me, we understand.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Yeah I know it's bad form to not fully test gear before leaving on a backpacking trip but I feel pretty confident this will work well for me.
    LOL, I doubt there is a person on here who hasn't done that at some point. The only bad time would be if you were heading into dangerous cold weather without testing the limits of gear. Otherwise likely all you will suffer is some discomfort or setup issues if you take untested gear. I bet that hammock will be very comfortable. He is a very well thought of guy and has very highly regarded gear.

Let us know how it went, and don't forget to fiddle a lot to find that sweet spot for you with that particular hammock. Even if it feels pretty good, mess with it a bit and learn what different adjustments and setups do. Then you will begin to really dial in the exact lay you want.

Yes an uber long and uber wide Trail Lair with all the bells and whistles. Even with the special order fabric he expects to have it in the mail on Saturday. Everyone was pretty much right on about his blazing fast service. I didn't know his business is just over the hill from my PO Box so that helps as well.

I will still try the knee pillow. It's been suggested to me a lot over the years by medical pros because of my bad back but I never followed up. There is obviously a lot of merit to doing it.

I have recently read a couple of good books on survival (in the Sahara) and exploration (in Labrador). So if I am a little bit uncomfortable using the new hammock I will just give myself a good dose of perspective and think about those poor men who only had camel urine to drink and shoe leather to eat

But I think the Trail Lair will be great.

Thanks for all of your input. I would have bought a hammock long ago if I knew how mellow and nice the hammock crowd was.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast