Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images

Curious about bug nets

I see quite a few persons stating their dislike for bug nets on their hammock, whether attached or not. I have come to the conclusion there must be something (among SO many others) that I do not understand. For those folks who dislike bug nets, what in the world do you do for a peaceful night's sleep, and even more so when you might want to read in the shank of the evening with a headlamp (bug attractant)? Curious minds want to know, as I agree, bug nets are a nuisance, but to me become a God-send when keeping the little buzzing, annoying, biting little ##*@xx's at bay. What do you do?? Thanks for your input. We have twin engine mosquitoes where I come from!
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I definitely prefer how my hammock lays without the bug net attached. That said, if there are bugs, I use the net. If no bugs, I don't.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you aren't bothered about a relatively small increase in weight, an obvious solution to the lay issue would be to make a really big bugnet (3 or 4 fabric widths, maybe? Enough to go all the way around the hammock without touching it anywhere when you're laying in it), and pull it out (probably to the tarp tie-outs). I might try it at some point.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I love going net-less. To me, one advantage of hammocks is the feeling of floating free of encumbrances. No net and no tarp add to that sensation. Also, I make my hammocks only 54" wide for more openness and better views.
    That being said, tarp and/or bugnet are mandatory when weather or bugs are threatening.
    My preferred bugnet is the Fronkey style with open bottom, no draw string. It does not affect the lay and I simply swing my feet out, stand and walk away from beneath the bugnet. I can also stand in the net and dress while protected from bugs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    LSOH hexon 1.0 w/detachable bugnet
    Tarp
    WB 20D MInifly
    Insulation
    WB UQ, HG topquilt
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    I agree with MAD777. My hammock of choice is a netless with detached bugnet bottom entry. The feeling of no zippers and bugnet directly attached is great. And when you want you just slide it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I hate bugs more than I love a netless hang. So I use a bug net (fronkey style) when there are bugs. And I think it's completely worth it! Other's may have a different opinion, but you need to do what works for YOU, and not worry about what somebody else thinks or does.

In other words: Hang your own hang!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I had 2QZQ do the mod 4 and add a stuff bag to my HH. Unless it is really cold here on the coastal side of VA, I use my bug net. I think I have only not used it during bug season once or twice and that was because the wind was blowing pretty strong.

I have a Dutch 11 footer w/o a bug net but have yet to use it for camping because it does not have a net..so yeah, I don't mind my net at all.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Well, mosquitoes are lethargic at 60* F, and totally inactive at 50* F. That's a fact. So I look at the overnight lows to determine if I'll bring a bugnet. The Fronkey bugnet is my favorite because I hate zippers - they don't allow me to get out of the hammock as quickly as I would like when there's a critter in the area.

Unfortunately, when my beagle Joey comes hammock camping with me, he can't tolerate the Fronkey bugnet. Joey needs a zipper to thwart his desire to escape the hammock. I always use my Dutchware Chameleon, either with bugnet or topcover, whenever beagle Joey comes hammock camping.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I like attached bug nets. Besides keeping bugs out...they also keep my gear inside the hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    I see quite a few persons stating their dislike for bug nets on their hammock, whether attached or not. I have come to the conclusion there must be something (among SO many others) that I do not understand. For those folks who dislike bug nets, what in the world do you do for a peaceful night's sleep, and even more so when you might want to read in the shank of the evening with a headlamp (bug attractant)? Curious minds want to know, as I agree, bug nets are a nuisance, but to me become a God-send when keeping the little buzzing, annoying, biting little ##*@xx's at bay. What do you do?? Thanks for your input. We have twin engine mosquitoes where I come from!
    I make most of my gear so making a Bugnet "custom" to your wishes is my suggestion - I followed some rather basic guidelines off a few web sites and tweaked it a bit - Like SS I generally hate zippers but had to try it on my net. I like it but my UQ keeps my netting off me (UGQ quilts are a bit wider and fit this bill well for me). But I toyed with the idea of custom tent poles similar to a pole mod for a tarp before deciding against it due to the UQ thing I mentioned above. Search Aluminium Tent poles on Amazon and you will see many choices. Get a plumbers pipe cutter and you can cut these to custom sizes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast