Warbonnet BB1.1
    Tarp
    Suprfly/MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    3-Season TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

What suspension system to use?

Hi... So I'm looking at upgrading my hammock to a Warbonnet XLC and this time there are a lot of different options available with regard to suspension systems. I've been using straps and been fine with them. However I am open to trying something new....

What do you guys prefer these days, and why?

Thanks!
    Dave
    WBBB 1.1 (Coyote Brown)
    SuperFly Tarp / MacCat Deluxe Tarp (Coyote Brown)
    TQ: Warbonnet 3 Season
    UQ: HammockGear 3 Season Incubator
    Mystery Ranch Kodiak or SweetPea / Gregory Z55

Hammock
    LSOH hexon 1.0 w/detachable bugnet
    Tarp
    WB 20D MInifly
    Insulation
    WB UQ, HG topquilt
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    I prefer to use straps from the tree to the continuous loops and attach with a Beckett hitch. Very simple, can be very light depending on what straps you have and there is not much that can fail. Also, making adjustments is really easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever's easiest for you. I don't use things that require really long straps, mostly just because there isn't a good source of low-weight strapping locally, and hell, I've already got mountains of dyneema cordage lying around, so I might as well make use of it. Cinch buckles are probably the hardest to go wrong with, but they're generally heavy and bulky (the really lightweight straps often have issues with them). Plus, I didn't have buckles lying around. Tying on with a knot is very lightweight, but you do need to make sure you do it right, and I screw up timing and end up pitching while exhausted far too often for that.

Beyond that, I think UCRs are slightly better than whoopie slings (because there's less rope involved and no excess friction being generated on the loops if you want to adjust it but are too lazy to take the gear hammock off first), but the difference is tiny enough that I use both regularly. I'm in the process of trying some new suspension setups, with UCRS/whoopie slings attached to an adjustable ridgleine, then some marginally funky knotwork to hang the hammock CLs off it: this way, I can have just one suspension setup, and switch between hammocks (the ridgeline being adjustable because some of my hammocks are rather odd lengths).

For the tree strap connection, I mostly use marlinspike hitches, but have been known to make use of all manner of arcane knotwork, mostly when I've forgotten my toggles and haven't had any suitable twigs immediately to hand (I wouldn't recommend most of these methods with whoopie slings, since it tends to generate rather a lot of friction when you try to adjust it - you should probably treat whatever you're tied to as fixed if you use one, and just move the knot if it's a whoopie sling). Since I'm unutterably lazy and have ruddy miles of basically-free webbing lying around at random to replace any straps that I somehow manage to knacker, I tend to just leave the marlinspike in whenever I'm not hiking anywhere, so I can just hook the suspension directly onto it.
    Last edited by bluesam3; 07-24-2019 at 13:39.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my suspension playlist for your insight if needed......https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RN4_MaZ8UAyzWm
    I'm a proponent of the tree strap/marlinspike/toggle/whoopie sling suspension.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I use spider/poly straps with Dutch's Beetle Buckles to the continuous loop on my hammock. You can use a whoopie sling with the Beetle Buckles if you like, but I don't feel like I need another adjustment or possible failure point. Simple, almost as light as you can get (the straps barely weight more than a whoopie sling per foot), and flat out easy.

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    short tree strap with long woopie sling on the hammock. have some amsteel or light webbing as backup
    * avoid sink the woopie loop by tie a stopper, I once have trouble to poke it out to the point almost cut it off *

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

What suspension system to use?

I use Dutch’s 2.0 dyneema blue straps with sexy black racing stripes with an 8 inch spliced loop of 1/8 amsteel larksheaded to hammock body.
    Attached with a modified becket hitch
    To keep becket from slipping I add a slip knot at beckets exit in bunny rabbit ear or the slipped bight. Even though it’s called a slip knot it does not slip. But it unties easily enough by pulling the end that slips the bight right out and slip knot disappears!
    Oops there is one other modification. Strap enters continuous loop at a larkshead formed in continuous loop. This makes it easier to adjust, keeps entire suspension all together with hammock and makes finishing the becket easy.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 07-24-2019 at 20:08.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I use Myerstech lightweight blue poly straps at 4g per foot. And I use a Becket hitch to attach to my hammock.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by David904 View Post
    What do you guys prefer these days, and why?
    Depending on my mood I'm either using 6-foot straps with a marlin spike hitch and whoopie slings or 12-foot straps becket hitched to loops on the hammock. I like whoopies for their relatively light weight and ease of adjustment and because they're just fun to use around people who've never seen them. Straps and becket hitch has good enough adjustability for a range of distances, no hardware to lose and is quick to set up and take down.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I went the whole route. I started with daisy chain straps and carabiners. Then went to dyneema straps with beetle buckles. Then two inch tree straps and whoopie slings. All attached to the CLs on the hammocks.

Now I like to simplify my life and take the straps and beetle buckles unless two inch straps are required.

Of course, I got a Tensa 4 stand and only use a second set of CLs on that.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast