Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Some people don’t find venting as comfortable in warmish weather and above and it takes time to dial it in and you are susceptible to drafts. Many hammockers here aim for maximum comfort. So it would be in their best interest to get a quilt with a 10° buffer from the expected lows.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    There's really no venting to be had IMO. I sleep with my 30° every night in my basement which is ok at about 66°. But factor in humidity and warmer temps outside. Cooler air can be drawn into the UQ making your back side cool (in a good way) but all that down is still pressed up against your shoulders and arms. I don't know of an easy way to open the whole thing up loosely and not hug you like a taco shell on the sides.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    There’s something else worth considering that I don’t ever see it mentioned here on the forums. I’ll probably bring it up in a new thread someday because it warrants a discussion.

Proper sleep requires that your core body temp lower a tiny bit. About 2-3°F, if I recall correctly. In addition, the more times you wake up throughout the night, the worse your sleep will be at doing its job. Maybe this should influence your decision here. Obviously, staying warm enough is just as important, but that’s not the only thing to consider.

For those interested in the topic of sleep, I have recently finished reading a FANTASTIC book called “Why We Sleep” by Matthew Walker. It’s shocking just how much our body needs sufficient and proper sleep in order to stay healthy. It turns out that the tiniest things will degrade our sleep and even the tiniest degradation will have many significant short and long term consequences. Too much to start on that here, but I just wanted to get that out there.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    There's really no venting to be had IMO. I sleep with my 30° every night in my basement which is ok at about 66°. But factor in humidity and warmer temps outside. Cooler air can be drawn into the UQ making your back side cool (in a good way) but all that down is still pressed up against your shoulders and arms. I don't know of an easy way to open the whole thing up loosely and not hug you like a taco shell on the sides.
    Shug addresses this in one of his videos but a simple quick cool down can be done by pulling quilt off hammock and leaving to one side while you are still in the hammock + if you put a heavy object into the quilt but below the hammock the weight of the object pulls down the quilt and allows for ventilation provided a breeze exists.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Shug addresses this in one of his videos but a simple quick cool down can be done by pulling quilt off hammock and leaving to one side while you are still in the hammock + if you put a heavy object into the quilt but below the hammock the weight of the object pulls down the quilt and allows for ventilation provided a breeze exists.

So I'm left with a million inches of down on one side, nothing on the other. Doesn't work for me.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    So I'm left with a million inches of down on one side, nothing on the other. Doesn't work for me.
    Yeah It's not a permanent solution. It just gets you cooled down if you're super hot. The water bottle in the UQ was really his nugget of wisdom that I took with me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Depends on where you live....25° Greylock 3/4 works for me October to April.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF/MF
    Insulation
    Wookie/Burrow
    Suspension
    Jeff Myers
    I have a Greylock 4, and it’s too hot even venting it. I’ve used it at *20, and I was really warm.
    If you haven’t seen a *0 quilt, it’s a lot of down. The weight isn’t noticeable to me (in my pack) over my *30 UQ, but the bulk is. Even though it packs down quite small for a *0.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have a full length 0 set top and bottom and a 3/4 20uq and a 20 tq.Huge difference in the bulk when its packed up and of course 0 weighs more.I only take the 0 set if i'm expecting to be miserable cold.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVillage View Post
    I have a Greylock 4, and it’s too hot even venting it. I’ve used it at *20, and I was really warm.
    I disagree. See my signature for test temps. I know everyone is different when it comes to comfort but for me...Greylock 3/4 is fine from 15°-60° or so.

Maybe it is my age. I am 50.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast