Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Ridge under neck I cannot get rid of.

As stated in another post, I have been able to use my Sparrow more frequently now that I am done with a move.

I have noticed that I cannot lay my head while laying in the hammock, its almost like the end of the hammock flaps too much, and if I try to lay flat there is either a significant ridge under my neck, or my head cannot lay cause the hammock is not providing any support and the end of the hammock is just flapping around and there is no tension on it.

Any help would be appreciated on this as I have tried multiple things. handing the head end lower than the foot end, re positioning my behind left right center forward backward, ensuring the ridgeline is not too taught or even set it where the ridgeline was sagging.

Thanks!

Fred

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Maybe try a pillow?

Images
    I'm having a hard time picturing what you're trying to describe, but I know I'm never comfortable for extended periods in a gathered end hammock without a small pillow. I mostly use it for neck support, as my head is typically well supported by the hammock fabric. Too large a pillow behind my head pushes it too far forward and also leads to neck discomfort.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Maybe try a pillow?
    I have a pillow, but I don't always use it.

The thing is I have never had this issue before until now. And even with a pillow in the hammock, it would fall out cause the side of the hammock is just flapping and has no tension on it. Basically one of the reasons someone would do a knotty mod, but I do not want to break the warranty by altering the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I'm having a hard time picturing what you're trying to describe, but I know I'm never comfortable for extended periods in a gathered end hammock without a small pillow. I mostly use it for neck support, as my head is typically well supported by the hammock fabric. Too large a pillow behind my head pushes it too far forward and also leads to neck discomfort.
    Two things are basically happening. Right where my neck lies there is a ridge (like a calf ridge) sharply under my neck running from under my neck to the outside of my shoulder. Since all of the tension in the hammock is there, the side of the hammock (where the zipper is) just flaps in the wind and gives no support. So even if I were to have a pillow in there, it likely would not stay.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    Two things are basically happening. Right where my neck lies there is a ridge (like a calf ridge) sharply under my neck running from under my neck to the outside of my shoulder. Since all of the tension in the hammock is there, the side of the hammock (where the zipper is) just flaps in the wind and gives no support. So even if I were to have a pillow in there, it likely would not stay.
    The loose fabric is one reason why some people like using tie-outs on the hammock, even when not using a bugnet. Your Sparrow may have come with a set, depending on the options you chose.
    I'm not a big fan of setting up the tie-outs most of the time. Using a pillow, but pushing it farther toward the outside edge of the hammock (so my head isn't laying right in the middle of the pillow) keeps the fabric and net away from my face.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I live about an hour north of you (Decatur) if you want to drive up here and I'll could try and help you out. I also have a sparrow
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    I live about an hour north of you (Decatur) if you want to drive up here and I'll could try and help you out. I also have a sparrow
    There you go, that ought to help, Freddy, if you have the time and energy to get up there. I'm a bit further west over in MS, but I don't have that brand hammock anyway.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Extra wide XLC clone
    Tarp
    RSBR silpoly
    Insulation
    Down, lots of down
    Suspension
    BIAS anchor,amstee
    Try raising the foot end.

Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    I have a pillow, but I don't always use it.

The thing is I have never had this issue before until now. And even with a pillow in the hammock, it would fall out cause the side of the hammock is just flapping and has no tension on it. Basically one of the reasons someone would do a knotty mod, but I do not want to break the warranty by altering the hammock.

You can bodge a temporary knotty mod-style effect by tying some shock cord to some point along the edge, and running the other end to either the primary suspension, or a bit of cord prussiked to the ridgeline.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    this video may help:

There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

• + New Posts