DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images

New EE Paladin Tarp..anyone want to discuss it and bene of 7d silnylon?

Hi everyone. I know most everyone already has a favorite tarp, but I just saw something about a new UL tarp from Enlightened Equipment in 7D nylon weighing about half of the typical 20d weight silpoly tarp. they offer doors as well for an additional 2.6 oz. the tarp uses grosgrain loops, not beastee D rings for attachment points. It looks way more fragile than your typical Superfly, Mac Cat, or Hammock Gear Tarps. Does anyone have any experience with the new EE Paladin tarps? Are they worth the $180 base price. I noticed that the specs about the Hydrostatic Head are not listed...just the low weight of 8-9 ounces. The paladin tarp is offered in 11 and 12 foot lengths and the sides are 4 foot long each with catenary cuts. My mac cat with doors is a relatively much heavier tarp at 23 oz with doors, not including mesh sleeves, but it is built much more robustly with durability in mind (not so much light weight in mind). If I really wanted to go light weight, I would probably just get a DCF tarp from HG, but I am happy to keep using my heavier MAC Cat for now....Maybe EE should just stick to the quilts.

Images
    A Hammock Gear DCF Hex Tarp would be a little over 3 oz lighter than the Paladin, but also costs $70 more.
    Add doors and the DCF Standard is less than 4 oz lighter than the Paladin with doors, but costs $90 more.

I'm not knocking the HG DCF tarps (I love mine), but you may be being a little overly critical of what EE is offering, at least in terms of your last comment. The extra tie-out points on the Paladin offer some added potential for versatility, also. 7D material is ultralight and is going to have trade-offs for durability, but the same can be said of DCF. Either material is going to be susceptible to punctures and damage by abrasion.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    7D is being used fairly widely now with mass-produced tents (Big Agnes etc) and there doesn't seem to be a lot of caterwauling about them. Gossamer Gear has been using 7D for quite some time with their shelters and tarps so apparently it is up to the task, although it is safe to say it won't be as robust and durable as 20D. If I didn't already own some DCF tarps I would give one of these a try.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I would choose the HG DCF over the Paladin for a few reasons 1) the DCF hex is 3oz lighter 2) the DCF hex is wider- providing better coverage 3) DCF is more waterproof 4) DCF has excellent tear-resistance.

Puncture resistance isn't great with DCF. But honestly, I don't know if 7d nylon fares any better in this regard.

Sure, the HG hex is $70 more. But $70 for 3oz weight savings is not unreasonable. And if you're into ultralight, you may as well get the lightest, best option.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    They appear to be good tarps at a good price. EE should make whatever they want, if it's good and sells.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I would choose the HG DCF over the Paladin for a few reasons 1) the DCF hex is 3oz lighter 2) the DCF hex is wider- providing better coverage 3) DCF is more waterproof 4) DCF has excellent tear-resistance.

Puncture resistance isn't great with DCF. But honestly, I don't know if 7d nylon fares any better in this regard.

Sure, the HG hex is $70 more. But $70 for 3oz weight savings is not unreasonable. And if you're into ultralight, you may as well get the lightest, best option.
    Good synopsis of why, for me, the decision nearly always breaks in favor of DCF.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    They appear to be good tarps at a good price. EE should make whatever they want, if it's good and sells.
    Indeed. Tim Marshall seems to have a pretty good sense of his market by now.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Fiber de Cuban
    Insulation
    DIY or Wild.Logics
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I considered this tarp in the past. I was very interested in its weight/price point. After looking at it again, I am leery of the lack of reinforcement material at the ridgeline and tie outs. hmmm.

• + New Posts