Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which tarp should I get for my Hennessy Deep Jungle XL hammock? (11' hammock)

Which tarp should I get for my Hennessy Deep Jungle XL hammock? Paria SANCTUARY SILTARP 12x10 hex? or Chill Gorilla Fortress 2?

Trying to decide which between the two? I've narrowed it down to two finalists. My hammock is 11' long.

The chill gorilla seems to weigh more but have doors. The hex tarp has no doors.

Your thoughts?

Budget is $100 or less. Also would love a tarp that is multi functional in case I do anything with it besides hammock camping.

Images
    You should check the FS section of the forum. I buy most of my tarps there these days. Last purchase was a very nice 12'x10' from JacksorBetter. I sent it to 2QZQ and had a door put on one end. Love it 80 bucks invested.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I personally wouldn't invest in Amazon tarps. You're not going to find many reviews on HF about them. I haven't heard of the Paria tarp, but I saw a Chill Gorilla Fortress soak straight through during a rainstorm that dumped five inches. I guess it was too much rain for that tarp to handle. I think people buy Amazon tarps because they're more focused on price than performance.

I'd be more inclined to buy something from a reputable cottage hammock vendor. Maybe that's because I have a closetful of cheap Amazon tarps that just didn't cut it, so I learned my lesson.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Buy the Hennessy Hex tarp or just go straight to any one of the cottage vendors listed on HF here and get a very nice 12' with options you see fit..ie doors
    Another buy once cry once deal here
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

I own one of the Paria tarps. Just had it out for a week in the record-breaking rains we've just had, and it worked nicely. A bit more coverage at the ends would be nice, though: something like a thunderfly, rather than full doors.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Which tarp should I get for my Hennessy Deep Jungle XL hammock? (11' hammock)

I would suggest you check out Hammock Gears tarps. The Quest is their basic hex tarp and is right within your budget. https://www.hammockgear.com/new-website-sil-poly/

Better quality than you'll find via Amazon and far better customer service than most volume vendors.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by arooni View Post
    Also would love a tarp that is multi functional in case I do anything with it besides hammock camping.
    What else besides hammock camping? I mean, I wouldn't use my hammock tarps to cover up firewood in the backyard or a load in the bed of a pickup truck. My 12x10 camo tarps from Walmart that I started hammocking, no problem for multi use.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    What else besides hammock camping? I mean, I wouldn't use my hammock tarps to cover up firewood in the backyard or a load in the bed of a pickup truck. My 12x10 camo tarps from Walmart that I started hammocking, no problem for multi use.
    I suppose as an emergency bivvy in a bout of really terrible weather if I'm caught in a really exposed area with no other shelter available (on a backpacking trip for example).

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    You should check the FS section of the forum. I buy most of my tarps there these days. Last purchase was a very nice 12'x10' from JacksorBetter. I sent it to 2QZQ and had a door put on one end. Love it 80 bucks invested.

That looks like a *very nice* setup. If I had an unlimited amount of time I'd do just that. I have a want to buy post up. Trouble is my trip to Mt. Rainier is coming up real soon and I'd like to use my hammock for the Northern Loop trail (35 miles or so). I have the original fly with the Hennessy but I wouldn't want it in a heavy rain storm

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but I have the Jungle explorer XL with a Hex and have been looking at a foul weather option as well. I know "just" enough about hanging to be dangerous, but had been looking at HH's Typhoon or Monsoon. I would be curious to get feedback on those as well and might be germaine to the OP. I'm aware they are completely out of stock, but talking to HH, and based on user feedback they are in the process of a complete redesign/retooling at the moment and will be re-introducing them again shortly.

I'm another of the "buy once, cry once" school of thought.
    Last edited by Yarome; 08-04-2019 at 15:29.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast