Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* & 40*
    Suspension
    Straps with buckle

UQP for WBBB XLC

I don’t currently have one, but I’m considering buying a UQP for my XLC. I can get the one from Warbonnet, or pay less than half that for one from 2QZQ. I understand that Warbonnet’s can zip right to my hammock or the Topcover, but I question if it’s worth it. Can someone convince me one way or the other? Ideally someone who has tried both, but I welcome anyone’s opinions on the matter.

I do not currently own the winter topcover, but I will probably get that eventually as well.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I haven't had the WB UQP, but I thought about it when I had a BBXLC. The main difference is going to be that with the WB UQP, you'd be able to lay in your hammock independently and inside the "cocoon" formed by the topcover and the UQP, whereas with any other UQP, you won't be able to. But you'll lose your shelf if you do that with the WB UQP, I imagine. That's something to consider.

Maine guy here, too. Grew up in Aroostook County & stayed there for a week in my hammock last month.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Can I ask why you want to get an UQP? I think that may help in making suggestions. What time of year will you use it? Is it for warmth or protection or both?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    ...with the WB UQP, you'd be able to lay in your hammock independently and inside the "cocoon" formed by the topcover and the UQP, whereas with any other UQP, you won't be able to. But you'll lose your shelf if you do that with the WB UQP, I imagine. That's something to consider.
    If using the zippers on the Warbonnet UQP, it can zip to the top cover or bugnet. If not using a top cover/bugnet, the UQP can also attach to the hammock without using zippers, using the end ties that are built into the UQP.

If you zip the Warbonnet UQP to the top cover/bugnet, the hammock will be "floating" inside the shell formed by the UQP and top cover/bugnet. The shelf will still be available, it just won't be connected to the hammock, but to the UQP. You can see that in Warbonnet's image here and in other images shown on their page for the UQP. The footbox however, is formed by the attachment of the top cover/bugnet to the hammock, and so that structure will be lost because the hammock itself will be free floating within that shell and the zippered edges of the hammock will be loose.

The other option is to order the Warbonnet UQP with the extra zipper track option. This feature allows the top cover/bugnet to be zipped to the hammock and separately the UQP can be zipped to the top cover/bugnet. This leaves the footbox shape intact and means the shelf will have a physical connection with the hammock body (although the shelf functionality still exists without the extra zipper, as described above).
    Last edited by cmc4free; 08-06-2019 at 11:50.

Images
    See thread here for more info, if interested.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...LC-sock-system

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    2QZQ’s UQP will have some weight savings because the zipper adds 2.5 oz and it costs $15 on top of original price. I could see a benefit if you were camping in subzero weather in using Brandon’s.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* & 40*
    Suspension
    Straps with buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Shagginwagon View Post
    Can I ask why you want to get an UQP? I think that may help in making suggestions. What time of year will you use it? Is it for warmth or protection or both?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Both really. I do some winter camping and would use it then for the warmth, but also may use it in the rain to protect the UQ.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    2QZQ’s UQP will have some weight savings because the zipper adds 2.5 oz and it costs $15 on top of original price. I could see a benefit if you were camping in subzero weather in using Brandon’s.
    Agreed about weight savings with 2QZQ. On the Warbonnet, there are 2 half zipper tracks (1 per side) on the UQP by default. Choosing the $15 added zipper track brings it up to 4 half zipper tracks (2 per side).

Likewise there are volume/bulk savings with the 2QZQ, which takes up negligible space, especially if folded.

The cost difference may or may not be worth it to individual users, but compared to the 2QZQ, there's more materials (zippers) and more labor (sewing) built into the Warbonnet version, so the added cost isn't necessarily unjustified.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 08-06-2019 at 12:17.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* & 40*
    Suspension
    Straps with buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    See thread here for more info, if interested.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...LC-sock-system
    I just read through this, thank you! It definitely sounds cool!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I like the simplicity and portability of the 2QZQ UQP. Amazing but true, you may end up with more than one hammock. I'm sure you could also move the WB UQP around - assuming it has bungee suspension rather than just zippers. Remember, the UQP just has to cover the UQ - not the whole hammock body (though it usually does a pretty good job of it).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast