Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

Lazy man run up Bear Creek

So after basically working 20 hour days 4 months straight, I finally got a week of vacation. so my buddy and I decided to do a "lazy man" run. Were already light enough that these type of runs are very doable and enjoyable.

The plan was to hike only a few miles, set up our hammocks and poke sticks in the fire for 3 days. I had a small grill from one of those mini BBQ'ers to grill some steaks and stuff on. We took tater's, steaks, apples with red hots and brown sugar in them, eggs, bagels etc, etc. Plus other "non traditional items"

We headed into Bear Creek on the more western side of the Wallowas, where the snow has melted out. The Wallowas are my favorite place to hike so I spend as much time down there as possible.

We headed into the Wallowa/Eagle Cap mountain range

and begin our hike in up Bear Creek

We hiked in about 3 miles with heavy laden packs, and then set up camp for the night.

My hammock with my new Papa Smurf aysym tarp, DIY whoopies, tree straps with DIY toggles, Dutch flyz, zingit line for the tarp, and dutch clips....all new for the testing.

My Buddy all set up in his ENO hammock....Don't worry the hammock drops a lot and he has a ton of room in there. I think it was just a bad pic angle

That evening my friend had poor man stew and I had left over pizza from the night before.

The next day I was awakened to the smell of my friends breakfast and sunshine on my face.

After piddle fartin' around for a few hours and being lazy we decided to break camp and hike a wee bit more. We found and old cabin and some really cool mountain views.

We hiked up the the trail for a few hours until it started to head up and away from the creek, we headed back to a perfect camp spot we had seen on the way in. Where hoarse campers use it as a lay over spot. So we decided to make that our camping spot for that night.

That night we busted out the "big guns" and cooked ourselves a feast. The steak on the left is mine...I ate two of those, marinated them and everything. They were done to perfection...the meat just pulled apart. We also had the tater's and apples with the red hots and brown sugar in them. MMMMMMMMMMMMM GOOOOOOOOOD.

My buddy chowin down.

In the morning when I woke there was a deer hanging around...She was very old and blind in one eye. I was able to get with in about four feet of here before she would skip away a couple of feet and then stop.

After watching her for a bit, I got up and we broke camp and sauntered back to the car.

I said one last good bye and then finished up the hike out, Well rested, refreshed, and very well fed. And of course I am already planing my next trip. But it will be a regular backpack trip this time around.

To see all the photo's click here
    Last edited by mugs; 06-23-2011 at 16:48.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Looks like areal nice area. Great lookin horse camp.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Man I am dying with envoy, looks like you had a great time and I mean GREAT time.
    Wish I was there. but I have to ask what was the weight of your packs with all that awesom food....

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    aweasome photos. gotta love a good steak
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl / Gathered End with SRL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Synth UQ & Alpkit
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopies
    My god - that steak looked huge even before you showed your buddy for scale - It must have been enormous!

Looks like you had a great time, I'm not jealous...

...much
    "Every day's a school day!"

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by tiredhiker View Post
    I have to ask what was the weight of your packs with all that awesom food....
    HEAVY I did not weigh my pack before leaving...but I would say upwards of 30-35 pounds maybe more.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

• + New Posts