DIY Pattern for Winter Cover for 11ft netted style hammock?

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.

Are there some indepth discussion threads or DIY instructions out there for making a winter cover for a 11ft netted style hammock. I know you can buy covers from certain manufactuers (eg. dutch), but they don't fit other brands or custom builds.

Dutch winter covers just zip on/off the same track as the netting zipper. but, i'm not sure if a DIY approach could achieve this. presumably there would have to be a different attachement mechanism. Ideas? Photos?

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    When I made mine, I used a pattern for a bug net.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Images
    Among others:

Dutchware Chameleon
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Dream Hammock Sparrow

All have bugnets that are fully removable by zipping them completely off the hammock. These also have top covers that zip on/off the hammock.

To the best of my knowledge, each of those manufacturers uses the same pattern for their top covers as they do for their bugnets.

You can DIY a zippered bugnet or top cover if you buy the zipper coils. For example:
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/121-vision-zipper/

Here’s mine for a fronkey style winter cover
    I don’t use it in the winter though because I have the Dutch chameleon and use the winter cover that comes with it,
    but it really makes a difference on cooler nights and windy conditions
    Also the width on my diy is 58 inches
    43580D91-4FFA-465F-B672-654289D37630.jpeg

AAAD881F-B4FE-4E83-96B9-2E00E79A3761.jpeg

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Hum...bird Pelican
    Insulation
    0-Wooki 20-Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

Snugpak Jungle Blanket XL - no mods necessary!

For my 11 foot Warbonnet Eldorado (same as XLC with different top) I use a Snugpak Jungle Blanket XL. It's very affordable, and fits PERFECTLY with no modifications, meaning I can use it as a camp blanket near a fire where I would never get my down top quilt anywhere near. I hang it on a diagonal with the short side pointed toward my head-side. To attach it I simply weave the tail corners of the blanket through my continuous loops in a figure-8 pattern. It holds tight and hasn't presented any problems yet. The Snugpak Jungle Blanket XL is water and wind resistant with a synthetic insulation in between the two outer layers. The marketing even says that it has an antimocrobial property of some sort. It weighs exactly two pounds in its own stuffsack that compresses to about the thickness of an NFL football and a length of about the laces on the football. For deep-cold winter or car camping it is excellent, for cold weather long hikes where lighter weight may be important there might be a better option. I have used it at about 30°F in a relatively high humidity environment and my hands stay warm enough to comfortably play on my phone in my hammock until I'm ready to go to sleep. The best part is the $60 price tag! On my Eldorado hammock it fits like it is meant to go with it. I did attach a single alligator-atyle mitten hook to keep my entry side positioned exactly where I want it so that I can flip a side up if I get too warm and want additional airflow. The 'tails' on either side are also just long enough to tuck into a an underquilt so there is very little heat loss. On my Eldorado it fits in such a way that the 'window' of the bugnet remains exposed to allow some ventilation and an escape path for moisture. I've had no condensation issues with it so far. In the summer I even use it to keep the sunshine out of my face when I want to sleep in a little later than the bright sunshine typically allows.
    Last edited by SnugAsaBugInaRug; 08-09-2019 at 22:04.
    Mosquitos suck and the wind blows!

• + New Posts