Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MuadDale View Post
    50 must be the magic age for discovering backpacking with a hammock! I never thought I could backpack again because of my back and sleeping on a pad. Then I found hammocking is a thing and am getting geared up after 30 years to try it again.

edit: Weird forum thing, thorlac has two posts in this thread but the postcount is at 0. Odd.
    Posts in the Introduce Yourself forum don’t count. It was put in place so folks don’t run up their post counts just to get 50 to sell things. And now you know

Hammock
    WB Eldorado SL
    Tarp
    HG DCF std camo
    Insulation
    WB DB + Wooki 20*
    Suspension
    Dyneema + Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Posts in the Introduce Yourself forum don’t count. It was put in place so folks don’t run up their post counts just to get 50 to sell things. And now you know
    carson.jpg

I'm a newbie, too... just turned the big 6-0 this summer and have taken two hangs so far... aside from spending most nights in the 'yard hammock' listening to the lake this summer.

Started that (yard hammocking) a few years ago and finally realized this is what I should be doing when I go camping/hiking/kayaking!

Still getting my equipment together. My kayaking pals are die-hard tenters.20190823_064407.jpg 20190803_074040.jpg

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Welcome to the Forum. I have a Mantis and really like using it as my backpacking rig. It's light has good features and keeps everything in a nice compact package.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Welcome from another PNW'er. It really "must" be the golden age. I've always been an avid "grounder" and never even considered a hammock until just a few months ago.. and that was really just a whim after a trusted friend mentioned he had taken the plunge. Did my first hang a couple months ago, will NEVER go back to the ground and kind of kicking myself for all the wasted years of sore backs and restless nights I've had in the past few decades. Combined with a good days activities, a solid meal over the fire and the fresh air, I dare say I sleep much more soundly than I do at home. It's "lights on, lights off" till morning and rarely move a muscle. To top it off, instead of waking up and being used to "working out the kinks" it's a real game changer to wake up completely refreshed... and fully mobile from the get-go.

I don't know enough about all the gear available to comment/suggest much, but the UQ I picked up (from another member) really enhanced the experience so I would agree you're probably ahead of the curve having not had to go through the "fight-a-pad" phase. Good on ya!

As someone else mentioned, keep an eye on the "for sale" section. I've made a couple of purchases there and been extremely pleased with the results so far.

Hang On!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12