Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images

Calling all Pak-It-Lite owners

I have a thread going in the WTB topic but I figured I'd throw this out there since I've had zero responses and let's face it remembering to bump stuff is very difficult..... Is there anybody out there who has owned, still owns, or at least has any experience in these hammocks?

Any input would be extraordinarily helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I own a Pak-It-Lite RECONMN. What would you like to know?

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I own a Pak-It-Lite RECONMN. What would you like to know?
    Is this a "true flat lay" hammock? What conditions have you used it in? Could this have an underquilt adapted to it instead of using the pad it is designed to use with? Do you have pics of it in use?

Start with these

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If you want "true flat lay" you'll have to get a bridge.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    First off some background information so that you can form your own opinion. I have been using hammocks for 9 years now and have never stopped being curious about new (to me) hammocks. My first hammock is still one of my all-time favorite hammocks, but I always keep wondering if there's something even better out there. I have sewn a lot of hammocks myself, and played around with shaped ends. This is why I have wanted to try a Pak-It-Lite hammock for ages. As far as I can say without taking the hammock apart, the hammock body is not a rectangle but the short ends are probably shaped like a W, and it is supposed to work similar to 90° hammocks, only at an angle.

I finally got my chance when a forum member sold their Pak-It-Lite in March.

Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Is this a "true flat lay" hammock?
    In my opinion: no. But it depends on what you expect. I don't think that a "true" flat lay is actually desirable, since you could easily achieve that by lying on the ground. I find that the slightly curved shape of a gathered end hammock provides the most comfortable lay if fabric stretch and hammock design are perfect for you.

The lay in the Pak-It-Lite felt tilted and cramped. I'm only 5'4" and found the inner uncomfortably confining, which is not necessarily an issue of hammock size. My tiny Warbonnet Blackbird (the small, old model, not the XLC) feels palatial in comparison. I have no idea how big guys like the Pak-It-Lite designer manage to comfortably fit in it.

What conditions have you used it in?
    I have only hung it 3 times. Once in the car port at home, to test it. And twice at group hangs for others to try. Due to the 0° hang angle requirement, I cannot hang it indoors, which is where I test most hammocks. I'm afraid it would rip out the wall plugs. I will not take it on a hike, because I'm pretty sure that I would need the option to switch to another hammock.

Could this have an underquilt adapted to it instead of using the pad it is designed to use with?
    It depends on how snug you want the underquilt to fit. Also, you need a pad to straighten out the hammock - not as much as you need a pad in the Amok Draumr (which doesn't work without a pad at all), but similar. You could add an underquilt to boost the warmth of the pad and cover the areas the pad likely won't (hips and shoulders), but due to the shape there will be more air bubbles than with a standard gathered end.

Do you have pics of it in use?
    Sorry, no. But there are a couple of videos on Youtube showing the Pak-It-Lite in use.

I might add that I also own the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed, which is a similar but better executed design. And I'm waiting for the delivery of the Sierra Madre Research Ninox "FlatLay" hammock. Maybe that one will surprise me positively - but I'm not holding my breath.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    If you want "true flat lay" you'll have to get a bridge.
    I own a couple of bridge hammocks and I don't think that they provide a flatter lay. Just a different lay. Actually the flattest lay I ever had in any hammock *by far* was in a Mexican hammock. The weave of these hammocks is amazing: it conforms to your body perfectly. It's the only hammock that allowed me to sleep on my side even more comfortably than in bed. The only other hammock that comes close is the 90° hammock - but that needs a pad, which I don't like. You can even lie on your belly. Unfortunately, these hammocks are too big and heavy to be used for camping.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Wow!! I mean...... Just wow!! What an informative write-up. I'm guessing in your opinion there are other hammocks I should purchase ahead of this one?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm guessing in your opinion there are other hammocks I should purchase ahead of this one?
    In my opinion yes. Especially if you're coming from a 12' hammock. The Pak-It-Lite feels like a hammock for kids.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    In my opinion yes. Especially if you're coming from a 12' hammock. The Pak-It-Lite feels like a hammock for kids.
    Much obliged. Can't imagine dropping $350+ on a hammock without being able to test - and then the weight of it - interesting concept however

• + New Posts