Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    At $3.77, did you get them at Big Box - Home Depot or Lowes?

With that set up, you could still sleep next to your boat - don't have to go up on the bluff. But if it is ocean water, you may want a Tide Table ... just say'n.
    got them at Lowes. and where I generally paddle there is no shore, the bluff IS the shore. Maybe if I set the feet in the water and straddle the kayak so I hang over the kayak?? perhaps that might work I paddle in the tidal portion of the Potomac river and its tributaries, so the tide table is a must and I read it religiously. but good thought!

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Just Another DIY Tensahedron Stand

Quote Originally Posted by wienerman View Post
    Maybe if I set the feet in the water and straddle the kayak so I hang over the kayak??
    I didn't see anywhere in this thread any info on how long your poles are (assuming 8'). My painter's poles are 8' when extended, and I wouldn't be able to do that. My UQ is pretty close to the ground when set up, and there's no clearance for a kayak... but I'm also using an 11' Chameleon. With a 9' hammock, you'll be higher off the water.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Dream Puff
    As far as a counter weight goes, I have been experimenting with an assymetric design that does away with the counter weight all together.

Sent from my moto e5 (XT1920DL) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Did a quick check on local Lowes. My 2x2x8ft pressure treated would be 11 cents more, $3.88 for that smaller size 2x2. But I have two more options. They have 2x2x8ft that are 1.5x1.5x8ft. One item is $4.49, the other is $4.88 (or close to that - it's late and I'm too lazy to look again). One is categorized as #1, the other, more expensive, is #2 - is that a quality category. Unfortunately, in the photos anyway, the only one of the three that has rounded corners (if that matters) is the smaller 1.3 x 1.3 item for $3.88.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Did a quick check on local Lowes. My 2x2x8ft pressure treated would be 11 cents more, $3.88 for that smaller size 2x2. But I have two more options. They have 2x2x8ft that are 1.5x1.5x8ft. One item is $4.49, the other is $4.88 (or close to that - it's late and I'm too lazy to look again). One is categorized as #1, the other, more expensive, is #2 - is that a quality category. Unfortunately, in the photos anyway, the only one of the three that has rounded corners (if that matters) is the smaller 1.3 x 1.3 item for $3.88.
    I guess prices fluctuate based on locale. as stated before, for me the pressure treated ones are $3.77. The untreated 1.5x1.5x8 actual that I was looking at are classified as Furring strips at $2.18. but I would have to search the entire pile thoroughly to find straight ones since it looks like a pile of wood spaghetti! there are high quality pine 2x2, with actual dimensions of 1.5x1.5, but they are in the $9 range at my store, and not rounded.

I did not choose the ones I choose because they were rounded but because they were pressure treated and it was easier to find relatively straight and knot-free. the extra $4 saved me 30-60 minutes of pile scrounging and having store employees looking at me like I escaped from my strait jacket!! the rounded corners are a side benefit that might be giving me fewer splinters. I do admit that I was a mite fearful that the narrower lumber (1.3125x1.3125 vs 1.5x1.5, leads to cross sections of 1.722 sqin and 2.25 sqin, which means the narrower poles have 75% of compression strength of the wider poles and probably a similar reduction in bending strength) but so far its holding me up during my taco avoidance practices!! have not yet had a chance to sleep in it yet, and probably won't for a few more weeks.
    Last edited by wienerman; 08-21-2019 at 09:12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12