Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Why the Blackbird over the XLC or Eldorado (basically, an XLC w/o the shelf)? The Blackbird has a zipper on one side only and is more expensive than the Eldorado.
    Mostly because I have in my mind (from years ago when I compulsively researched all this stuff) that the Blackbird is a super-comfortable option (and quite lightweight) thanks to its asymmetric design, etc. I'm not particularly attached to the idea of getting one. I'll check out the ones you mention here.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Besides Warbonnet, be sure to check out Dream Hammocks and Dutchware. I think Hammock Gear has some basic hammocks (not too customized), but definitely a step up from your GT.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    get a netless 11 footer from dutchwaregear.com
    they're under $50 and will give you an idea of how comfortable an 11 foot 58 inch wide hammock can be.

or do it big and get something fancy

reach out to some of the cottage vendors and ask about their return policies. try one and don't like it? some may allow returns.
    I went from a basic, run of the mill hammock to the Dutch 11ft. netless wide and I am thrilled with it.
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    So it sounds like aside from presence/absence of a structural ridgeline and asymmetrical shape, the other big variable I'm missing is just length and width? That's good to know about...maybe I should try my luck with one of these before springing for a pricey new one.

On the other hand, I certainly got my money's worth out of the Grand Trunk over the years. Maybe a quarter or 50 cents per night spent in it overall....seems like a good rationale to justify big purchases...
    I just got a Sierra Madre Research Ninox "Flat Lay" hammock and I have to say, I think it would solve all of your problems. I have slept over 120+ nights in my DH Sparrow (which I Love) but the Ninox does lay more flat, and is more comfortable, especially on your sides. Plus, it is symmetrical so you have many options to find your sweet spot. At $189 It is a great value in my opinion. It comes with a ridgeline organizer, 4 pull outs, sleeping pad clips, underquilt clips and a fully removable bug net.
    Last edited by Donfish06; 08-22-2019 at 12:49.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I sleep in a wbbb xlc, I can sleep on either side or my back....I think you should upgrade to something that will have more room and more comfort

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge River
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I upgraded last year from an Eno Sub7, which treated me very well, to the XLC. The biggest thing I noticed was the length. Solved all of the problems I had. The RL will help. You can get one and just hook it into the carabiners (if you use them) currently on your hammock. But the length is likely the biggest issue. The shorter hammocks are really better for lounging and dayhikes than sleeping. In my humble opinion. The dutchware hammocks seem to be pretty modular, which is cool, but so are the Warbonnet ones. You seem to do plenty of your own research before you buy, so I don't doubt you will continue that in making your next choice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    20161110_141851.jpg20161110_141751.jpg

If you do decide to upgrade your current hammock, here are some pics of my upgraded skeeter beater hammock. I made some new woopies with the brass rings and attached a ucr to them. For the bugnet I had sewn some gross grain to each end of the netting and then burned the hole to feed the ucr through.

My current hammock is a chameleon and am very happy with the comfortable lay.[AIMG][/AIMG]

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Decided it was time to spring for a Warbonnet El Dorado. It showed up quicker than expected, and luckily I have a few hours this afternoon to go down to the park for a test run!

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Another option is to order 4 yards of fabric from Ripstop By The Roll and 50' of Amsteel. You can whip the ends and splice up a couple CLs and a ridgeline very quickly. This will be a very inexpensive way to try an 11' hammock. Hyper D 1.6 and Mtn. 1.3 are both excellent fabrics.
    That's exactly the path I took. I started out with a Hammock Bliss No-Seeum No More, which is very similar to the Skeeter Beater. I ordered some Hyper D 1.6 XL and made a 12 footer with SRL, CL's and whoopie sling suspension. For bug protection I picked up a King Outfitters extra long bug net. Very comfortable and affordable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12