Images

3oz dyneema fabric for $8/half-yard (vs $22 normal price)?

I’ve been doing some research into dyneema fabric in anticipation of a project I’m starting soon. As you guys probably know, dyneema fabric is expensive! But I found a possible substitute that is about four times cheaper than the normal stuff for sale.

A little background: Dyneema fabric is a composite fabric made primarily from Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethelene (UHMWPE) fibers sandwiched between a flexible laminate. UHMWPE is a high-tech plastic that is incredibly abrasion resistant and strong (pound-for-pound, 15 times stronger than steel), and is used in a variety of industrial applications such as climbing rope, bulletproof vests, cut-resistant clothing, etc.

Dyneema (and Spectra) are specific brand names of UHMWPE (just like Bayer is a brand name of generic aspirin). Although Dyneema and Spectra are licensed by American companies, many other companies around the world also manufacture various forms of UHMWPE.

I was searching Ebay and found a sheet of “UHMWPE UD Ballistic Laminated Polyethylene Cloth 110 gsm Weight 62" x 62" for $30 (including shipping), sold by a company that manufacturers bulletproof vest and ballistic armor.

The product description—if I interpreted it correctly—seems to indicate that this UHMWPE cloth is manufactured in a fashion that is similar to dyneema fabric (perpendicular threads of UHMWPE sandwiched between a flexible laminate). The weight (110gsm) is equivalent to about 3oz dyneema fabric. If you crunch the numbers, this equates to about $8 per half yard (versus the going rate of about $22 per half yard of dyneema fabric, see https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...t5k-18-wov-32c)

I’m curious how this UHMWPE compares to dyneema fabric? Are they similar in terms of look, feel, strength, and performance? Wouldn’t it be great to find a cheaper, generic source of dyneema fabric?

Here’s a link to the listing on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UHMWPE-UD-B...oAAOSwqMBc5HG1

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I'm not seeing any reference to its waterproofness in the ad.

At that price point, buy a sheet and give it some tests. You now have us curious.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    https://www.dsm.com/products/dyneema...m-factors.html

In the bullet points:

High resistance to abrasion, moisture, UV radiation, and chemicals

So this stuff is Dyneema UD, the stuff we use is Dyneema Composite Fabrics. They also have Dyneema Denim...no more stretchy jeans!

This appears to be a product list of the different grades of the UD: https://www.dsm.com/content/dam/dsm/..._solutions.pdf

I couldn't find anything matching the 110g/sq meter

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I'm no expert- but looks like a totally different thing than DCF.

One reason I'm not an expert- what is the point?

Cuben Fiber (now DCF) is a wonderlite fabric. You pay the big bucks for the low weight.
    Once you start crossing the 1.0 line there are lots of options.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...ant=7580593409

In the PU coated version (if waterproof is a reason for DCF) you're at 3.2 ounces per yard (vs 2.92) for a pretty bomber pack fabric for $8.50 per yard.
    If you have to do much extra reinforcing, taping, or laminating on the pack... the DCF ends up about the same weight.

There are plenty of other things to list... and plenty of gearmakers like Gossamer Gear I could point to who use much lighter fabrics than DCF successfully.
    There is the whole xpac discussion you could have as well.

I've built plenty of stuff with various sil-nylons. The Hybrid 1.7 is pretty bomber fabic, easily backed up by a trash compactor liner.

Sorry for the slight rant... but if you like DCF use it.
    If you want to save weight and/or money there are lots of options.

DCF is an amazing tarp/shelter fabric in weights 1.0 and lower. It puzzles me though why folks stick with it in packs or heavy use when there are often better options.

Images
    Bill, thanks for your observations...you make a lot of good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I'm no expert- but looks like a totally different thing than DCF.

One reason I'm not an expert- what is the point?

Cuben Fiber (now DCF) is a wonderlite fabric. You pay the big bucks for the low weight.
    Once you start crossing the 1.0 line there are lots of options.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...ant=7580593409

In the PU coated version (if waterproof is a reason for DCF) you're at 3.2 ounces per yard (vs 2.92) for a pretty bomber pack fabric for $8.50 per yard.
    If you have to do much extra reinforcing, taping, or laminating on the pack... the DCF ends up about the same weight.

There are plenty of other things to list... and plenty of gearmakers like Gossamer Gear I could point to who use much lighter fabrics than DCF successfully.
    There is the whole xpac discussion you could have as well.

I've built plenty of stuff with various sil-nylons. The Hybrid 1.7 is pretty bomber fabic, easily backed up by a trash compactor liner.

Sorry for the slight rant... but if you like DCF use it.
    If you want to save weight and/or money there are lots of options.

DCF is an amazing tarp/shelter fabric in weights 1.0 and lower. It puzzles me though why folks stick with it in packs or heavy use when there are often better options.

• + New Posts