DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch

The Wanderlust: Complete Kit for Hammock Camping

This looks really good. If I was starting over, I would definitely go this route. Heck, I may have to buy one of these kits anyhow.

The price is unbeatable.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 09-12-2019 at 18:27.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Wow! Great option for someone looking at a good starter package.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    The price is unbeatable.
    My only complaint would be how they advertise product vs. the price. The product is advertised as a complete system, including insulation, then the website product page has the price bold and up top that does not include the insulation. When you click give me the standard option to match the advertisement, Boom the price more than doubles. Also, the as presented hammock and tarp is more expensive buying it this way than it is buying them separately.

Seems a little bait and switch for me and would drive miss trust of this vendor.

Easy fix have the default to the standard insulation option and let the buyer opt out.

Overall a good product offering by HG.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 08-26-2019 at 11:25.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    My only complaint would be how they advertise product vs. the price. The product is advertised as a complete system, including insulation, then the website product page has the price bold and up top that does not include the insulation. When you click give me the standard option to match the advertisement, Boom the price more than doubles. Also, the as presented hammock and tarp is more expensive buying it this way than it is buying them separately.

Seems a little bait and switch for me and would drive miss trust of this vendor.

Easy fix have the default to the standard insulation option and let the buyer opt out.

it says add insulation if you want in the video
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG-Inc-20°
    Suspension
    WB stock
    Isn't optional insulation for a hammock pretty much like optional wheels for a car?

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post

The video seemed very straight forward. The email they sent me was very clear about adding insulation.

I don't see the least bit of deception in the promotional video.

The fact remains that this would be an incredibly cost effective way for a person to get into some high quality gear, without having to go through the pitfalls of cheap equipment. I wish I could have skipped the days of trying out poorly performing gear.

Providing an option to have either seems very flexible for a range of customers needs.

They are clear about the fact that each package is 35% percent off retail if you were to buy the components seperately, so I am not quite sure how you think they are more expensive. You've failed to account for the hardware, suspension etc..

I am not their spokesperson, but I own many of their products and have had nothing but positive experience with their business and products.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Maurer View Post
    Isn't optional insulation for a hammock pretty much like optional wheels for a car?
    I started out with a pad. Didn't like it. Some people may want to keep their sleeping bag; I did for a year before getting a quilt. And then others may want a synthetic quilt from another vendor. Lots of options but a hammock and tarp are the PB&J of this hobby, the foundation you could say. Complete in a sense without the insulation, but I think a majority of starters would jump all in from the start. The fact that there is a built-in discount makes it a lot easier to pull that trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Maurer View Post

Depends where you live, and if you already own a mat/sleeping bag. In particular, minimum temperature overnight here was 20C, so I was outside in a hammock with no insulation, and wasn't cold.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Insulation is optional because there's no one size fits all for insulation, although a 20 degree UQ full length is what I first bought when getting into hammocks. I later bought a 40 degree from a DIYer (HF Member Wanderlost) and a pre owned zero degree UQ from HF Member Peppy for more versatility and wth multi quilts I can stack if necessary or let my kids use the quilts on family hangs.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    If you get the Wanderlust package with the insulation, it is a very good deal. The difference between the insulation package vs. w/o insulation is $270. To purchase both quilts independently, you'd spend $360. A $90 discount is nothing to sneeze at.

That said, if you order the Wanderlust package w/o insulation, you'll actually spend $.01 more than if you purchased the hammock and tarp separately. I think it would be nice if HG still gave a bit of a discount for purchasing the hammock + tarp as a package. Maybe sell it for $210 or $215.
    Last edited by rweb82; 08-26-2019 at 15:01.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast