Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    What I find interesting is that UGQ uses grosgrain edging around the entire perimeter of their tarps, but their 11' hanger tarp is only 382g. Consequently, Dutch's 11' Xenon hex tarp is 390g. I don't doubt that grosgrain edging adds weight, but it seems the vendors that use it still have ways of keeping the overall weight down.
    Maybe the cat cuts on the UGQ are partly responsible for that offset. I have a slightly older Dutchware Xenon hex, and I believe all edges are straight cut. The ridgeline might have a cat cut, however. I also think the Dutchware tarp is a little wider.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Maybe the cat cuts on the UGQ are partly responsible for that offset. I have a slightly older Dutchware Xenon hex, and I believe all edges are straight cut. The ridgeline might have a cat cut, however. I also think the Dutchware tarp is a little wider.
    The cat cuts may account for some of the weight savings, but I can't imagine they would completely negate the weight of the grosgrain. I just checked, UGQ tarps are 2" wider than Dutch's, so it's not the width causing the difference.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    The cat cuts may account for some of the weight savings, but I can't imagine they would completely negate the weight of the grosgrain. I just checked, UGQ tarps are 2" wider than Dutch's, so it's not the width causing the difference.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Oh, maybe I misread something. I was going off the image below from UGQ which shows the narrowest width at the apex of the cat cuts as 89" and 96" for the width across the corners.

Dutchware lists width as 9.5ft = 114".

EDIT: I now see the weight (382g) you listed is for UGQ's wide Hanger 11, which is listed as 116" across the corners and 109" at the apex of the cat cuts. Since both are 1.1 fabrics, I'm guessing the cat cuts and maybe the distance between the corners account for the marginally lighter weight on the UGQ tarp that uses grosgrain trim. UGQ lists 72" distance between corners on the wide tarp (84" between corners on standard tarp), and Dutchware doesn't list this spec. It's interesting that UGQ uses a narrower corner distance on the wide tarp than they do on the standard tarp.

Last edited by cmc4free; 08-30-2019 at 07:53.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    SUL pro tip: cut holes in the tarp to save additional weight.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    You've heard of the HUG, half bug net? Coming soon, the HARP, half tarp!

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    One Click, thanks for the Friday morning Laugh...hilarious hammock Ultra Light humor. Mike Cleeland eat your heart out!

Images
    It's interesting that UGQ uses a narrower corner distance on the wide tarp than they do on the standard tarp.
    Exploring my own question, I thought maybe their standard width was just a truncated version of their wide, but that's not quite the case. They don't both follow the same cat curves from the ridgeline to the corners.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Some projects inspire ideas, some projects are good the way they are. I made the Batwing Tarp (Kitsapcowboy) and it is one of those projects that just works well (link: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...son-Tarp/page5)

In the build thread he discusses the changes he made to get to the final version (V 1.1) and that discussion matches pretty well with this topic.

He swapped to a rolled hem edge from a grosgrain and his reasoning was:

" While I am absolutely sold on the validity and reasonable trade-offs associated with the folded grosgrain ridge line technique (which have been discussed ad nauseum in my other tarp threads), I have decided that, while simple, quick, strong, and elegant, I prefer to use the folded grosgrain edge binding on hex tarps as opposed to winter tarps. On hexes, the grosgrain edges serve more directly as a true structural component because they span the curves from the ground edges up to the ridge line, while on winter tarps the panel itself still bears most of the forces from the pitch. Also, the ratio of the perimeter to the ridge line length is much less on hexes, so you get the reinforcement benefits of the folded grosgrain edges while using significantly less ribbon. I will use these version 1.1 pack cloth patches to reinforce all the tie-outs on my future Batwing tarps, but either method works just fine in the end."

I have built 2 versions of this so far, the V1.1 for my 11.5' gathered end and a stretch version (14') for my new bridge hammock .... both perform great, rolled edges.

Brian

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Exploring my own question, I thought maybe their standard width was just a truncated version of their wide, but that's not quite the case. They don't both follow the same cat curves from the ridgeline to the corners.

I didn't even look at the images. I just noted the specs from the Penny Pincher Hanger 11' page. It is interesting that the corner distance between the standard and WB are actually different. I guess my whole point is that while some vendors choose to use grosgrain- and others do not, they all seem to be spec'ing their tarps to be within a certain acceptable weight range for their customers. So I think the whole idea of "all this added weight from the grosgrain" is kind of a non-issue. It's not like the cottage vendors who use grosgrain are selling 11' hex tarps that are 18-20oz.

I understand that if you had two tarps with identical designs- one with grosgrain and the other without, the tarp with grosgrain will be heavier. But it's apparent the vendors who use grosgrain design the shape of their tarps to offset the added weight. That could cause someone to be concerned with overall coverage, if they are overly concerned with angles, corner distances, etc... But I tend to trust our cottage vendors to ensure the tarps they design and sell will keep us dry- regardless of some minor differences in the shape.

Full disclosure, none of my tarps use grosgrain- just rolled hems and a flat-felled seam.
    Last edited by rweb82; 08-30-2019 at 10:02.

Images
    Brian of OES was an early adopter of grosgrain tarp edges (he was a member here, who started his business while still in high school). Other tarp makers followed suit. It never made any sense to me and I'm happy to see this trend fading out, except for using grosgrain in a standing ridge seam.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12