Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!

Bomb-proof indoor hammock material?

I am looking to hang a hammock in the office that I am putting in my shop. I am 6'6 350lb. I want the hammock to be HUGE, and BOMB-PROOF.

What fabric would you suggest? I have a list of options I found below, but I'm looking for more options.

I have seen that cotton is generally the go to material for indoor hammocks.

I don't think I want a canvas/duck type material. It would be heavy like I want, but it seems like it would be too stiff, and not very soft/comfortable. If you think I'm wrong... let me know.

I can find more options for polyester. I cant seem to find many options for cotton fabric/tablecloths that are as wide as I want.

Whats wrong with polyester? I have heard the polyester tablecloths were not popular for hammocks, but I have not heard any first hand experience as to why that is. If you know, let me know.

I've made tablecloth hammocks with crinkle taffeta (I know its polyester), and those are thinner than I want. I would like to hear some first hand experience with the tablecloths factory tablecloths that are just labeled polyester.

Here are some options that I am looking at. If you have used any yourself I want to hear how it went.

1) 90x156 polyester 200gsm. Cheapest option. I know its heaver than the crinkle taffeta... and theres no crinkle... thats all i know
    https://tableclothsfactory.com/colle...lar-tablecloth

2) 90x156 polyester 220gsm. I think its the same as option one, only thicker. Seems like the best balance of price/thickness. But I want to hear more opinions about polyester hammocks.
    https://tableclothsfactory.com/colle...lar-tablecloth

3) 90x156 polyester Tuscany inspired 250gsm. From what I can tell... its the same as the last two... just heavier fabric.... What does "Tuscany inspired tablecloth" even mean???
    https://tableclothsfactory.com/colle...h-90x156-black

4) 90x156 cotton. Seems like the go to indoor choice. But I don't know how heavy the fabric is.
    https://tableclothsfactory.com/colle...ton-tablecloth

5) By the yard polyester tablecloth fabric. This one would allow me to make a bigger hammock(which I want) as I wont be limited to the 90x156, but its still polyester, and I'm worried about the vague negative comments I've heard. I also don't know the weight of this fabric.
    https://www.fabric.com/buy/fk-063/12...h-fabric-black

On a totally different note....
    Haven't been on hammockforums for a few years. looking around at this stuff is bringing back some good memories. Kinda feels like coming back home. I MISSED YOU GUYS!!!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    There are purposely many types of fabrics for hammocks because there are many "tastes" for different people in their likes for fabrics against the skin, stretch or not etc., etc.

My view is to find the material you like even if its the thin poly or other. You can always make it double or even triple layer.

The cottons for indoor are great because they can be stronger/heavier and still breath without the worry of humidity.

If you want, you can even have different materials and put a heavier stronger fabric on bottom and a nicer feeling fabric on top/against you.

Good luck in finding your best sleep
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Yeah, people like different things, I'm not looking for "which fabric is best" because that's different for everyone.

I'm looking for personal experiences, and opinions. Things like "have you used anything I linked to? If so how did it work for you?"
    "Why do people seem to not like polyester hammocks? Too stretchy? Not stretchy enough? Noisy? Sticky? Not breathable? Or.. why do you like polyester hammocks?" "Is there some other option I haven't thought of?"

I don't have the $ to buy multiple options and see what I like. When I get to read about personal experiences and opinions I get a pretty good idea of what I will like.

There is tons of info on lightweight materials for hammocks in this forum, not as much about heavier, more permenant hammocks. And most of the posts about indoor hammocks are about how to hang them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Why not call or email several cottage vendors that make hammocks and ask them about bomb proof fabrics in widths you want
    Dutch
    Jacks are Better
    RipStopByTheRoll
    Dream Hammocks
    And others on Hammock Forums vendor list

Somebody will give you more information and probably have some fabric in stock you can buy
    Or they might be able to make custom hammock to your specs

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have not liked the polyester fabrics I tried because they have too little stretch. I generally prefer less stretch - but there comes a point when it feels as if I'm lying on the hard floor. However, I have not tried the fabrics of the Tableclothsfactory, and maybe polyester taffeta behaves similar to nylon taffeta, which is more stretchy than ripstop nylon.

Personally I like the Hexon 1.7 (70D) - NOT the Hexon 1.6 (40D) - a lot. It's one of the softest fabrics I have used so far, and it offers a lot of support. I only weigh 135lbs, tough, so your mileage might vary. If you were to double it up, you should get a bomb-proof hammock for sure.

Another suggestion: I recently had the opportunity to try a Mexican hammock and found it to be one of the most comfortable hammocks I have ever used. I didn't like Brazilian hammocks too much. I think the special weave of the Mexican hammocks makes them so incredibly comfortable. It's the only hammock I could comfortably side-sleep in. For heavy duty indoor use I would get one of these.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    My camping hammock is Ripstop Nylon and it has a little bit of stretch that I like. I also like how it feels against the skin. Others absolutely cannot stand the feel of Nylon against their skin. Now, I use my hammock in cold(upper 20's to 40's) and very little of my touches the material, and I use it in hot(70's to 90's) with no problems in the feel of it with a lot of me touching it. I like it.

My wife has a Chrysalis that I've used several times. I don't know the material(70D Polyester maybe) but it has very little stretch due to the support strapping on the hammock body. I also like that.

I have a cotton Mayan style hammock and I like that as well although I haven't slept in it. Just hung outside with it in heat and a little cool. I could tell it does hold in a little heat so don't know how it would feel during our hot Summer nights (above 80*)

I guess I'm not too picky so not too much help.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I'm 6'3 - 350 as well and sleep in a hammock every night. I make hammocks and have tried many from a big boy bridge to a 12' Hex70 wide. I always return to my DL 1.6 HyperD. The HyperD feels great and allows just the right amount of stretch. The DL provides just the right amount of support for my back.

I thought bigger was better, but I find that the wider hammocks just makes for more material in your face. Is use a DIY underquilt made from a Costco down quilt and a 5lb wool blanket on top.

I have often pondered those huge Mayan hammocks, haven't pulled the trigger though.

If I never slept in a bed again it would be too soon.

Good luck.
    Last edited by BigE94; 08-29-2019 at 11:15.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    I'm a full-timer, no beds in my house (overnight guests sleep either in hammocks or mats on the floor), and not a lot of money to experiment with. The heaviest full-timer in my family & hanging guest-friends is about 250 lb and about 6 ft tall, so my choices may not be adequate for you. But you asked specifically about using tablecloths for hammocks, so here's my take on the ones I've used.

For my indoors every-night hammock I've been using your option (4) the 90x156" cotton from tableclothsfactory.com (smooth & tightly woven heavy weight cotton, very comfortable) for a few years now, with no problems and no sign of wear. My brother is about 240-250 lb and he uses one every night, too. I don't know how it would do at 350 lb. For your weight I'd suggest making a double layer, maybe with the cotton t'cloth on top for comfort and a poly t'cloth underneath for added strength. I don't know if hexon is available as wide as you want it.

"Tuscany Inspired" doesn't mean anything AFAIK. I'm pretty sure it's just the brand of their heavy-weight tablecloths.

If I were buying a polyester one for a heavy full-timer I'd either go with the heaviest weight 250 gsm one (your option 3) or else make a double layer from two mid-weight ones, but I don't know about the weight they can hold. Keep in mind that these are sold for use as tablecloths, and not (except by us) for human weight bearing! A few years ago there was considerable buzz in the DIY section about the various kinds of tablecloths we were buying to make easy, inexpensive GE hammocks. You might want to read some of those old threads to see pros/cons for each of them. I recall that there was a concern about failures with some of the later crinkle taffeta ones, but also several positive user reports about the polyester ones. All of my cotton and crinkle taffeta ones have been just fine, but I check them carefully on arrival for any flaws, and I haven't made hammocks for anyone weighing more than about 250 lb. Above that I would make it double-layer.

I don't like the feel of hexon or poly or nylon on my skin, and I generate a lot of static with synthetic fabrics anyway, so I only use those fabrics for outdoors gear. If I had to use it indoors I'd add a cotton lining or sleep sack. I know a lot of folks sleep indoors just fine in an outdoor hammock. I'm just not one of them, so I haven't tried a heavy polyester t'cloth hammock (your option 3). I do have a few lightweight crinkle taffeta ones for camping, and when needed I'll probably replace them with midweight polyester ones or with Hexon 1.7.

You say you want a very big & wide hammock. Me, too. I like to sleep on a strong diagonal (almost crosswise), but such a wide & long hammock needs a lot of sag to avoid high tight bathtub sides, and it doesn't fit well in the available spaces in my current house, so the extra width isn't helpful. I intend to cut one of my 90x156 t'cloths down to about 70" wide and see if I like it better in the space I have for it.

I also love my La Siesta "Carolina" cotton Brazilian style hammock, but it's only 63" wide, which is about the minimum I find comfortable at 5'5" tall because of my preferred nearly crosswise diagonal lay. La Siesta also makes a 90" wide Brazilian ("Flora"). I think somebody in one of the "indoor" threads said recently that the Flora isn't as thick/sturdy(?) as the Carolina, so it may not be for you. You can see the specs & weight limits for both of these on Amazon. I haven't seen any other cotton ones there that I'd buy again.

I love my Mayan! I have it on the screened porch because it doesn't fit any of the rooms in my new house, but for several years I used one every night in my old house. Good ones usually last me about 3 years. I like the ones online at Seaside Hammocks. A well-made big one should easily support 350 lb. Biggest problems with it are Space required to hang one, Small children or pets (fingers or paws can get caught in the mesh), and Durability (but if a thread breaks it's easy to weave it back in and tie the ends together). But it's the ultimate in conformity to body shape with virtually no pressure points, and breezy cool in summer heat. In cool weather, I add a Costco down UQ with a fleece protector (against kitty claws) and either a Costco down TQ or a fleece blanket, the same as for any other hammock.

But our usual nightly hammocks are the big cotton tablecloths. So far I haven't found anything else near the price that's as comfortable, durable, and easy to launder every week or two. Again, though, there's not much empirical data on weight limits for tablecloths as hammocks, so caveat emptor! You may feel safer with fabrics intended for hammocks and weight-tested accordingly.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    For bomb proof as in the dog lays in there with ya, I think this is the ticket for indoor use. Hang it with a clew suspension maybe?

https://store.oldgrouch.biz/micamabyya.html

Hammock
    DIY HyperD XL
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!!
    Thanks for all the suggestions, and personal experiences, they are helpful!

I'm not really worried about my weight in the hammock. I've made multiple crinkle taffeta tablecloth hammocks. I'm comfortable in those.

My camping hammock is a diy single layer hyperd xl. This is my favorite hammock right now.

I looking more for this to be over the top really nice. Big, be able to wrap up completely in it. Thick heavy soft fabric. More because thick heavy soft fabric feels luxurious. Not because I'm worried about my weight. I would be comfortable in any of the fabrics I suggested.

I ordered a sample of the by the yard stuff. If it's thicker than cheap sheets I'll probably go with that simply because I can make a longer hammock.

The heavy polyester, and the cotton are still on the table tho. If I make a tableclothsfactory order, I'll probably get one if the cheap polyester ones to test as well... It's only $8.

At some point I might make a canvas one that's truly bomb proof. I guess bomb proof wasn't the right way to describe what I wanted.

You know when you are trying to get people to try out a hammock and they don't want to because "are you sure this is gonna hold me" or "it doesn't feel strong enough" when people feel it I want them to think it will hold them.

The cotton is probably my second choice after the by the yard. And if I could get the cotton by the yard it would be my first choice.

I'd still like to hear more experience with any of the polyester ones. I've got personal experience with the crinkle taffeta. But I can't find much on the regular polyester. I've tried searching, if you know where any info is share a link to the threads please.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts