Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies

Sewn vs. Zippered footbox

Hey hey hammock fam,

With the warm Summer air quickly fading from Autumn's crisp kiss, Winter and low temps aren't far from the horizon. I was able to get in on the Diamondback sale earlier this year and picked up a zippered 20F. I know this quilt won't be quite enough to last me the entire winter / coldest months here in UT, and that's what the (very heavy) 0F sleeping bag I have is for.

My question is this: Is there really such an intense difference between a Zippered footbox and a sewn? I know for 0F situations you want to keep in as much of that heat as possible, but does anyone have any experience using a quilt rated to a low temp with a zipper on it? If you have, are there any tips or tricks to keep more of the air inside rather than seeping out the zipper? I can't imagine you're losing much, but I'm relatively new to the TQ game.

If there's any other Sewn vs. Zippered commentary you have, I'd love to hear it!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Stuff something (like a rolled up pair of socks) into the hole left by a zipper footbox. Anything lower than a 20F quilt, I'd spend the extra money for sewn.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Stuff something (like a rolled up pair of socks) into the hole left by a zipper footbox. Anything lower than a 20F quilt, I'd spend the extra money for sewn.
    OK, the diamondback actually has a very small ~3" x 3" down "pillow" that's attached the the bottom end with that in mind I believe. I thought that may have been standard with all zippered systems but it sounds like that's not the case.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post

Ditto - On my 20deg TQ, I started out with a drawcord / snap design. NO complaint about the zipper / snap section, but the drawcord will leave an opening. At < 30 deg, the opening is felt. I did as the previous posted stated and knotted up a sock and pulled the drawcord tight around it. Problem solved.. until the sock comes out. Ideal would be a dogbone shape to keep it in the drawcord opening better.

I fell in love w/ the Diamondback design and ordered a new 20deg sewn footbox Diamondback. Haven't used it yet. I hope I love it as much as my 1st UQG Flight Jacket mentioned above. LOVED that quilt.. except I decided I wanted to move to sewn footbox.

For my > 20 deg quilts (only a 40 deg)... I have a drawcord style and like it. I've stacked my 40 deg and 20deg TQ's and slept down to -15deg F w/o a problem.. Using Stacked 20deg + 30deg UQ's. Actually had to strip down to just thermals to cool down. Also had an old gore-tex bivy that I unzipped and threw on top the UQ's as a layer to catch frost from my breath as much as anything.

I liked the leg room in my old 20deg TQ drawcord.. I hope I like the slightly less roomy Diamondback when it gets cold enough to use it. From a basement "fitting" I think it'll be A-OK. Back & Side sleeper here....

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Make sure the zipper has a gusset all the way around. Tiny leak at low temps. really let in a lot of cold.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    What has worked for me is sewn for TQ rated 30°F and below, zip/drawcord for warmer than that.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    What has worked for me is sewn for TQ rated 30°F and below, zip/drawcord for warmer than that.
    Sounds solid, my next quilt will likely be a summer-focused 40F or 30F with some overstuff, and that will be a zip / drawcord. Planning anything below I think I'll follow the advice posted above. I wanted my 20F to be a sorta "all around" quilt as it was my first. I've loved to so far, I guess it's just a matter of testing and pushing my own comfort zone to see how low I can go!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oquirrh View Post
    Sounds solid, my next quilt will likely be a summer-focused 40F or 30F with some overstuff, and that will be a zip / drawcord. Planning anything below I think I'll follow the advice posted above. I wanted my 20F to be a sorta "all around" quilt as it was my first. I've loved to so far, I guess it's just a matter of testing and pushing my own comfort zone to see how low I can go!
    One strategy with TQ is to combine a 20deg quilt with down parka and pants (which I carry anyway when it's really cold) for much lower temps. UQs can be stacked as Us5Camp mentioned but, if pack weight and volume are concerns, a single 0deg UQ is preferred and it might be less fidgety than doubling up, but I don't have personal experience with this. When I was a ground sleeper I once stacked 2 TQs and it worked fine.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Diamondback shown in video below at 20:33 in.
    In Fall, Winter and Spring I like an enclosed footbox.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner (2021)
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Down UQ, UP Syn TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch kevlar strap
    I have read on a couple of quilt manufacturer's descriptions that they also recommend using a drawn/zippered footbox for Spring, Summer and Fall (not very cold) temps and then sewn footbox for "very cold" Winter temps (I'd put that at 20 degrees and below).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast