Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Batsto Village is the place. They close at 4 pm.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You sure you know how to operate that pepper spray? At a group hang a few years ago, an HF member named jshep420 managed to spray his own face with bear spray. It's hard to fathom how someone could do that, but jshep420 was up to the task.

Down south, we call what happened to jshep420 as "hoist with his own petard," - destroyed by the very means one meant to destroy others (in this case, bears).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petard

I thought it was live long and prosper. I actually have heard of the petard phrase and know it's meaning, but nice to have a more scholarly explanation. And honestly, the only time I ever carried pepper spray was in the Yukon when we were hiking away from the Alsek river. Never had to use it, but I do know enough to point it away from me and not be down wind of it if I can help it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoist_with_his_own_petard

It isn't often that I get to share this Shakespearean tidbit of knowledge. Go forth and prosper.

Attachment 177857

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I dont feel like lugging around the throwing target, the knives and cornhole i could bring though. Also, i made a valet tray out of some Horween for the raffle

Attachment 177859
    Attachment 177860
    that is lovely, but please, what is Horween?

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by tollermama View Post
    It’s a brand of leather:

https://www.horween.com

I’m sure Fallkniven can speak more to what makes it special or different from other leather(s).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tollermama View Post
    The name of the tannery the leather came from. They say it best on their site that orifice linked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    So.. I registered a camp site, and understand I have to check in. Can someone post an address I can plug in to gps?
    The NJ camping site only gives Batsto village and the Atsion rec area, but no word on the park office?

WHARTON STATE FOREST
    31 Batsto Rd
    Hammonton, New Jersey 08037

Historic Batsto Village is located on Route 542, eight miles east of Hammonton. For GPS, please use the following address: 4110 Nesco Rd. Hammonton, NJ 08037
    The Atsion Recreation Area is on Route 206, eight miles north of Hammonton. For GPS, please use the following address: 744 Route 206 Shamong, NJ 08088

Wonder if we can add a column for ETA at camp? Just for fun so we know who to expect
    Batsto and Atsion are the places youre looking for. Batsto office is impossible to.miss once you pull into the big parking lot. And atsion office is on the south side of the road across from the lake next to the big dirt parking lot.

Capture+_2019-10-30-23-30-48.jpg
    Capture+_2019-10-30-23-31-11.jpg
    Capture+_2019-10-30-23-31-36.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Batsto and Atsion are the places youre looking for. Batsto office is impossible to.miss once you pull into the big parking lot. And atsion office is on the south side of the road across from the lake next to the big dirt parking lot.

Capture+_2019-10-30-23-30-48.jpg
    Capture+_2019-10-30-23-31-11.jpg
    Capture+_2019-10-30-23-31-36.jpg
    Unfortunately they went back to closing the Atsion office for the season. We had that one year where it stayed open past October 1st - which was awesome. But I guess they decided it wasn't worth the expense.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Unfortunately they went back to closing the Atsion office for the season. We had that one year where it stayed open past October 1st - which was awesome. But I guess they decided it wasn't worth the expense.
    Ok.. so check in at the Batsto office? From your disappointment at them closing Atsion office, I'm guessing the campground itself is closer to the Atsion area? Just trying to get my bearings.
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    Ok.. so check in at the Batsto office? From your disappointment at them closing Atsion office, I'm guessing the campground itself is closer to the Atsion area? Just trying to get my bearings.
    Yep. Batsto is about a 30 minute drive each way from Batona Camp. Atsion is probably 15 minutes tops. It's much more convenient when it's open to get permits and check in there.

Atsion station is open during the main season - roughly March 1 through October 1, and then they close it down for the winter. There's a rec area nearby (Atsion Lake and Campground) as well as the canoe launch for the Mullica, so they need it during the peak season, but all the cabins and rec areas in the state forests technically close for the season on October 1, so they shut that station down at that time.

A couple years ago they did a test where they kept it open the whole year, with minimal staff, which was great for all of us. But they made it clear that it was a trial, and I guess they didn't see the benefit in the long run, as the next year it was back to normal closing schedule.

If you're going to check in and pick up your permit for a site, you'll have to do it at Batsto, between 9am and 4pm.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Looks like I won't be getting my share of campfire smoke until Saturday breakfast. Will be staying Saturday night into Sunday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast