Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top Quilt Outer Fabric - 15D Ripstop Nylon vs. 20D Polyester

I'm torn. If I understand correctly (which opinions seem to vary) 15D ripstop nylon as an outer TQ shell will come out ahead on durability over a 20D poly(?). On the other hand, the 20D poly is more UV resistant and less likely to absorb humidity/dew/etc. (?)

Is one or the other more breathable? Is it desirable for it to be breathable in an outer shell?

I'm new to the hanging game, but have a bit of experience camping. Never had nor know much about TQ's though. In my mind it would seem I would want to go with the most wind/moisture resistant fabric and durability taking more of a back seat since a TQ "shouldn't" see all that much "wear and tear" laying inside a hammock(?)

At the moment, I've been leaning toward a 20D poly outer and a 15D ripstop nylon as the inner fabric. The 10D nylon would likely be a little more "silky", but if I'm under a 20degree TQ... I ain't laying in there in the buff. With John's on it doesn't seem the fabric texture on the inner fabric would make a whole lot of difference and durabiity would be key(?)

Weight is not a big consideration for me. If I'm lugging around a 20degree TQ and cold weather gear... I ain't going very far, anyway. ;-)

What say the guru's?

**Edited: Or am I missing the plot altogether? 20D poly being a heavier fabric it should wear similarly to, or possibly even better than, the lighter dennier (15D) ripstop?
    Last edited by Yarome; 08-31-2019 at 21:59.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, WBRR,Dutch Argon1.6
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetle clips
    I’m no expert but I did have the same concerns. I opted for durability and went 20d on my 2 diamond back quilts.
    I find my Warbonnet DB in 20D very breathable and still feels nice to the touch.
    I have 2 western mountaineering bags and they are 12D. I do loose a couple of feathers . It is worst with my Marmot 20 degree bag . Feathers pierce my liner.

For the 1 or 2 ounces or so, I don’t regret it

Quote Originally Posted by Rick2world View Post
    ...went 20d on my 2 diamond back quilts.

For the 1 or 2 ounces or so, I don’t regret it
    Thanks, Rick. That's kind of where I am, too. Weight isn't as much a consideration, but durability is when you're dropping that kind of coin on a blanket. LOL I appreciate the "comfort feel" observation.

I wasn't prepared yet with enough info to do a custom TQ, but don't want to pass up the 25% off deal and will certainly be needing one before their Christmas sale. I'm trying to cram for my TQ test.

If you're getting feather pierces with 12D it kind of makes me wonder if I shouldn't stay away from the 15D ripstop all-together. But I "think" that was (is?) their go-to fabric on their stock TQ's. If piercing is that much of an issue I would imagine they wouldn't be selling so many diamondbacks. Maybe it depends on other fabric factors between the two companies suppliers(?) I got no idea.. just spouting off thoughts as they come.

Did you do the side elastics add-on? I would imagine those are a high stress area so... ripstop... I guess(?)

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'd choose the 15D ripstop nylon over the 20D polyester any day. The only piece of gear that should see enough UV-radiation to affect its performance (but only after a couple of years under normal circumstances) should be your tarp. The top quilt would probably be affected the least by UV-radiation.

The polyester Warbonnet uses is not bad; it feels quite soft. But the 20D ripstop nylon has a much nicer hand by far. The 15D ripstop nylon is not quite as nice, but in my opinion nicer than the polyester. I also get less static electricity with nylon than with polyester. I'm not a fan of the 10D nylon, though. I guess it's a matter of taste

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like the 20D myself. And the side elastic is really nice.
    Shug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shug; 09-01-2019 at 22:53.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I like the 20D myself. And the side elastic is really nice.
    Thanks, Shug. Makes a big difference when you can see it up closer and personal like, rather than the little image icons. That vid though said that was a 15D ripstop in and out. You prefer the 20D in and out over that one?

Yup. Side elastics, a collar and pad tabs seem like a no brainer on a custom. Add-on cost is pretty nominal... all things considered. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The top quilt would probably be affected the least by UV-radiation.

But the 20D ripstop nylon has a much nicer hand by far.

I also get less static electricity
    All fair points. Thanks. I hadn't thought about static electricity. Clingy on the skin gives me the heebie jeebie's. Is it that bad or just more of a nusiance with dust/fuzz cling-ons?

The only 20D ripstop they have though is that doodee brown. LOL I would go with a 15D (you gotta hang with "some" style, right?) or the 20D Poly.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    All fair points. Thanks. I hadn't thought about static electricity. Clingy on the skin gives me the heebie jeebie's. Is it that bad or just more of a nusiance with dust/fuzz cling-ons?
    I only have experience with the polyester top cover and underquilt protector. This looks and feels like the same fabric as used for the quilts. It produces more static for me (might be different for other people) and attaches easily to skin and clothes. But since the quilt is filled, clingyness might not be a huge issue.

The only 20D ripstop they have though is that doodee brown. LOL I would go with a 15D (you gotta hang with "some" style, right?) or the 20D Poly.
    It tried a 15D nylon top quilt and liked the fabric. It's smoother than the 20D nylon, but not in a bad way. In case you know Argon 90: it's very similar.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks, Shug. Makes a big difference when you can see it up closer and personal like, rather than the little image icons. That vid though said that was a 15D ripstop in and out. You prefer the 20D in and out over that one?

Yup. Side elastics, a collar and pad tabs seem like a no brainer on a custom. Add-on cost is pretty nominal... all things considered. ;-)
    Correction.....it is 15D as that is what my color choices came in. Nice feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    In case you know Argon 90: it's very similar.
    The UQ I purchased from Peppy is in Argon 90 so excellent frame of reference. 15D ripstop is starting to make more sense to me. This hang'in stuff ain't exactly cheap and I'm trying to minimize the learning curve cost as much as I can.

The help is much appreciated!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast